[langtitle=da]Newbie Gear problems...[/langtitle]

Coda_

Jun 23, 2010
[lang=da]I got my first road bike the other day, and have had a good time riding it about, however, its not running at 100%. I am having gear problems. Firstly, the front deraileur isnt quite right. Its fine in low gear, but as I shift up, the deraileur rubs against the chain, and wont shift into high. Secondly, the rear deraleur bottoms out at the 2nd gear, so it doesnt even engage the first gear.

I appologize for my laymens explanation. I also appologize if this topic has been discussed before. Im planning on riding a lot this weekend, and am looking to get these problems nipped in the bud. The bike is a GMC Denali (I know its a bargin basement bike, but i'd rather not get an expensive bike, only to find I dont really want it.) Thanks to all responses in advance.[/lang]

Why not try parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com, or your local library for some in-depth instructions?

Find the limit screws on the derailleurs. They say "H" and "L" and you can tell if they are stopping the derailleur from moving far enough by looking at their ends while operating the derailleur. You need them to keep from throwing the chain, but they may be misadjusted.

If the cable just can't pull the derailleur far enough, look for a barrel adjuster to increase cable tension. It's like a socket which one end of the cable housing goes into, which you can unscrew to add a little length to the cable housing. If that doesn't give you enough tension, you may have to unclamp the cable and reclamp it on further up. Make sure the limit screws stop the derailleurs from moving too far, in case something snags the cable.

If it's a used bike or if you've had it awhile, the cables probably just wore away the high spots inside the housings which caused them to go a bit slack.

When you're checking the limit screws, you don't have to reach up to the handlebar to work the shifter. Just pull on the cable or the part of the derailleur which the cable attaches to. Also, move the chain out of the way. I set up my derailleurs with the chain off but I guess you could just move it.

[lang=da]Alright, I got the front deraileur working fine now, my rear deraileur is still bottoming out in 2nd. I think it might be a combo of cable tension, and limit...[/lang]

If you just purchased this bicycle, take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it...unless its Wally-World or a Wally-Worldish store.

Most shops will do free adjustments for you for a period of time.

Oh man, I originally opted with that Denali bike when I first decided to start cycling. Like you, I thought it was a good option to see if you can stick with the cycling, no shame in that.

I had some problems with it, similar to yours. And after tinkering for a while I found out that the front derailleur wouldn't even reach the top chainwheel. It would sometimes get wacky with the other gears, too. I didn't think it was worth it and just brought it back the next day for a full refund. There's a ton of reviews for and against that bike, though. So what it seems is that once you can finally get it working it'll hold up pretty well. Oh, and be careful with the barrels. I managed to pull the cables out of the barrels without using a lot of force. I don't know a whole lot about it but I don't think it's supposed to go down like that.

I hope it works out for you.

GrumpyGex said:
Oh man, I originally opted with that Denali bike when I first decided to start cycling. Like you, I thought it was a good option to see if you can stick with the cycling, no shame in that.

I had some problems with it, similar to yours. And after tinkering for a while I found out that the front derailleur wouldn't even reach the top chainwheel. It would sometimes get wacky with the other gears, too. I didn't think it was worth it and just brought it back the next day for a full refund. There's a ton of reviews for and against that bike, though. So what it seems is that once you can finally get it working it'll hold up pretty well. Oh, and be careful with the barrels. I managed to pull the cables out of the barrels without using a lot of force. I don't know a whole lot about it but I don't think it's supposed to go down like that.

I hope it works out for you.
[lang=da]Yea, I got the front deraileur just about figured out, theres still some rubbing in a few positions, it'll just take a bit more adjusting. The rear deraileur is my focus now. I think im gunna take it to a bike shop in the near future, but for now, its definatly rideable. Thanks everyone for their input.[/lang]

Coda_ said:
[lang=da]I got my first road bike the other day, and have had a good time riding it about, however, its not running at 100%. I am having gear problems. Firstly, the front deraileur isnt quite right. Its fine in low gear, but as I shift up, the deraileur rubs against the chain, and wont shift into high. Secondly, the rear deraleur bottoms out at the 2nd gear, so it doesnt even engage the first gear.

I appologize for my laymens explanation. I also appologize if this topic has been discussed before. Im planning on riding a lot this weekend, and am looking to get these problems nipped in the bud. The bike is a GMC Denali (I know its a bargin basement bike, but i'd rather not get an expensive bike, only to find I dont really want it.) Thanks to all responses in advance.[/lang]

Hi...no apology needed. Even the super expensive bike have these problems. What you need is a "tune-up." If there is a good bike shop near by, or if you know an experienced cyclist ask if they can do an instructive tune-up for you. If you take it to a bike shop, it might cost you $25-$30 but it's well worth it. They will show you how to tune it up yourself, and get that baby humming! And get them to check your brakes and tire pressure while you are at it. Riders often overlook the ned for thos to be up to snuff too.

Glad you wrote in... never need to apologize.

Revds North Bay, ON