[langtitle=es]Comprar bicicleta mujer inexperta[/langtitle]

ovinea

Feb 12, 2010
[lang=es]Hola!
Necesitaría asesoriamiento básico para comprarme una bicicleta.
Soy mujer, tengo 43 años, hace muchos años fuí habitualmente con cicicleta normalmente por mi ciudad, Zaragoza, pero luego me acomodé a ir en coche. Quiero volver a hacerlo para pasear ahora q han acondicionado mi ciudad para ello y hacer un poquito de ejercicio, pero reconozco q ya no estoy en absoluto en forma pues no he vuelto a cojer una bicicleta desde hace muchos años, y tampoco es q antes fuera una gran experta... Tengo además una niña de tres años y quizás dentro de no mucho tenga q acompañarla en bicicleta para ir a su lado mientras ella también quiera aprender y después pasear.
Por todo ello os pediría asesoramiento, por un lado de dónde comprarla, pues en aquellos tiempos sé q la compré en Alcampo ó Carrefour, ya q necesitaría q fuera económica... y por otra parte para saber si me la compro de montaña ó de ciudad, ya q para entonces recuerdo q me la compré de montaña pues me confería mucha más seguridad al tener las ruedas más gruesas y yo sentirme más estable, ya q no tenía mucha estabilidad ni habilidad como ya he comentado. Puntualizar q me gustan q la barra no quede muy alta, pues como me ponía el sillín no muy alto por mi falta de pericia y mi inestabilidad quiero evitar hacerme daño en mis partes...
Muchas gracias a tod@ aquel q me quiera ayudar y asesorar.
Un afectuoso saludo! :rolleyes:[/lang]

Hola from someone else who is new to this forum! The good news is you are not alone--there are many of us who are returning to cycle riding after being away from it for a period of years! You can search the forum here using key words like "advice" or "purchase", etc., and you'll see a number of threads and recommendations.

When my wife and I started back a year or so ago, we went to a local bike shop, which is the best advice I can share with you. Tell the store person exactly what you want from your new bicycle. A good salesperson will try their best to match you with the right style of cycle--road, hybrid, mountain, urban, etc., for your needs.

Several bicycle manufacturers make special lines designed just for women--I'm familiar with Trek, but I believe most of the big companies offer similar design options. Trek's is called "WSD", for Women's Specific Design. They're designed to help women become better balanced on their bicycles. My wife loves her Trek WSD Hybrid.

Wishing you the best in your search!!

Bill

Billcycle said:
Hola from someone else who is new to this forum! The good news is you are not alone--there are many of us who are returning to cycle riding after being away from it for a period of years! You can search the forum here using key words like "advice" or "purchase", etc., and you'll see a number of threads and recommendations.

When my wife and I started back a year or so ago, we went to a local bike shop, which is the best advice I can share with you. Tell the store person exactly what you want from your new bicycle. A good salesperson will try their best to match you with the right style of cycle--road, hybrid, mountain, urban, etc., for your needs.

Several bicycle manufacturers make special lines designed just for women--I'm familiar with Trek, but I believe most of the big companies offer similar design options. Trek's is called "WSD", for Women's Specific Design. They're designed to help women become better balanced on their bicycles. My wife loves her Trek WSD Hybrid.

Wishing you the best in your search!!

Bill

I wouldn't really say that WSD is about helping women become "better balanced on their bicycles." Men and women have different body geometries, in that leg length to torso length ratios are different for men and women. Therefore, bikes that are designed for men with long torso's won't fit every woman. Thus, WSD bikes are built with women's geometry in mind so that women can find bikes that fit. Unfortunately, many WSD bikes are made with limited color choices, and, if a pre-build, sometimes with limited component choices. Therefore, I would advise women to try out "men's" bikes as well as WSD bikes. Depending on one's body geometry, the geometry of a men's bike could work.

Ah, forgive me for my clumsy attempt at communicating the intent--but while I evidently failed, I think you nailed it precisely:
"Therefore, bikes that are designed for men with long torso's won't fit every woman. Thus, WSD bikes are built with women's geometry in mind so that women can find bikes that fit."

OTOH, I find some of Trek's color offerings in the WSD line to be very nice--wish I could order one!

Best, Bill