[langtitle=fr]save my bike !! gears advice desperately needed[/langtitle]

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jack.plummer, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jack.plummer

jack.plummer New Member

[lang=fr]I'm riding (or hoping to) my first road race (u16 closed circuit) on saturday 13th at Ilton.
    Now I'm being told about the max gearing rules....will this mean I've gotta go and spend money on smaller stuff as chain ring is too big and cassette is way too small...or maybe pull my beloved old bike apart...:confused:

Is there an easier way that will get past the race officials??

serious question...any help/advice would be a godsend...[/lang]

Tags:

2. genedan

genedan New Member

There are max gearing rules? What do you have, anyway?

3. tafi

tafi Member

For U16 there are gear restrictions. This usually means locking off the big ring or one or two of the sprokets. Either can be done using the limit screws on the derailleurs.

However, since you don't mention what gearing you have now, it is a little difficult to help you with what is needed.

4. genedan

genedan New Member

Oh yeah that's right...I also remember that they're not allowed to pedal while riding their bike, either.

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

So... guessing that Ilton is in England and therefore you're racing under British Cycling rules...

You're allowed 42x13 - which is a common gear. This works out to around 6.90m

Other gear combos that would be legal - verify this as it's your behind on the line when it comes to tech inspection if they do a gear roll out:
    39x12
    52x16

What chainrings and cassette do you have on the bike now?

6. jack.plummer

jack.plummer New Member

[lang=fr]Thanks fellas...

I'm driving up to a 52/12....which I know will be disallowed..

I was just wanting to be sure that I can make the twiddly adjustments on the course pre-start with the kit I have rather than have to splash out on new cassettes etc....sounds like I can.??
    I'm finding that when you start out in racing etc that everyone thinks you're psychic....really:mad:[/lang]

7. jack.plummer

jack.plummer New Member

[lang=fr]Sorry...that came out very strange !....just wanted to say that I know I'll have to down-gear...

but needed reassurance that they'll let me do that by adjusting the settings rather than having to go out and buy fresh cassesttes etc...

sounds like I'll be OK[/lang]

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Step one: Buy or obtain a rule book. You are not expected to be psychic - but you are expected to read and know the rules.

A free copy can be found here.

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/zu...2009_handbook_06_rules_general_road_track.pdf

It might be alot to take in all at one go. Give the event organiser a call and let them know that this will be your first road race and you'd like to know what you need to do and what to expect ahead of time. If you're in a club then ask other team members. I don't know where you live but if you have a bike shop in town that caters to road racing and time trialing guys then they'll be able to help too.

Step two:

What inner ring do you have? 39 or a 42?

If you have a 39 ring then you'll just need to adjust the front deraileur "hi" stop screw such that you can't change into the big ring.

If you have a 42 ring then you'll need to make the same adjustment plus change the stop screw so you can't change into the 12. 42x13 would be your top gear.

Most bikes have chainrings that can be easily unbolted and replaced. If you have anything other than a 42 I would suggest that you get one. If it's a flat course and you'll be in the 13, 14 and 15 sprockets then you could always just run a single chainring, putting the 42 as the outer ring - which would give you a much better chainline.

One point to note - the ruling tells you what your biggest allowable gear can be. It doesn't mean that you have to have it on your bike.