[langtitle=nl]1983 nishiki with shimano 600 38 teeth front blade[/langtitle]

audi.mann

May 15, 2010
[lang=nl]I have a 1983 10 speed Shimano 600 (6x2) on a Nishiki bike with 44 teeth and 54 teeth front blades (reading Shimano W cut)
the bike has maybe only 1000km on it (in 27 years
small question
where could I buy a 36 to 40 teeth front blade
tried the local bike shop and the internet
the claim that the newer blades are to thin and will not work with my (original) chain
who can help me with an address?
thanks in advance[/lang]

I thought that you could use a thinner chainring (front blade) with a wider chain....but I'm not a modern wrench so I don't really know. I suggest that you turn to the vintage bike owners best source for old and odd items, eBay. Just go to www.ebay.com and search for "bicycle sprockets", "bicycle chain rings", and "bicycle front gears". You might also try www.loosescrews.com. They specialize in getting hard to find items.

There is one possible problem that comes to mind. In 1983, most chainrings did not have the ramps and pins machined on them that aid in shifting, allowing you to use wider spaced gears than before. You may find a chainring with the number of teeth that you are looking for but it may not work with your old front derailluer and your 54 tooth chainring.

[lang=nl]Thanks
wil try; thanks for the advise
what do you think is the minimum number of teeth 2nd blade that would go with the 54 blade?
regards[/lang]

audi.mann said:
[lang=nl]Thanks
wil try; thanks for the advise
what do you think is the minimum number of teeth 2nd blade that would go with the 54 blade?
regards[/lang]
I don't have a lot of experience trying new chainring combinations. I usually replace the existing chainring with one that has the same number of teeth and tune my gearing by changing cassettes. I think that you might be able to get OK performance with a 40 or 42 tooth chainring, but I wouldn't go any smaller.