[langtitle=nl]Monthly FTP test[/langtitle]

wip

Apr 19, 2010
[lang=nl]I did yesterday my monthly "20min". FTP test (last time was about 10months ago :eek:)
I've gone from 255Watts to 355Watts

My maximum power what i tested at the sports lab was 390Watts. (januari)

I did the test on the rollertrainer because i had to babysit, but i think it was a good test, it hurted my legs and had to push myself to the limit to end with pushing above 400W.

Me:
weight: 69kg
lenght: 177cm
sport: Mountainbike (competition - Masters)
rest HF: 40bpm
Max HF: 174bpm (i know it is low)
Th HF: 147bpm.

Is it possible to increase that much in aprox. 1year ?
p4pb4919954.jpg
[/lang]

wip asked...

Is It Possible to Increase That much (255->355 or 100w) in aprox. 1year?

• Apparently for you, the answer seems to be yes. Whether it is for someone else is hard to say but hardly relevant as we are only concerned with your progress? ;)
FWIW, assuming your power meter/measuring device is functioning & calibrated correctly then for someone of your size/mass, your likely FTP (~315-340) would put you at > 5 w/kg which is quite impressive and high.

• I don't know what you mean by your max power being tested at a sports lab. Perhaps you are alluding to MAP or power @ vo2max?

• I've never ridden on rollers so I may be speaking with a lack of experience, but one thing that looks unusual is how your average speed for the 20 minutes was 36.4 kmph. I would think even on a MTB that 355 watts would be good for > ~21.5 mph.

• Finally, your max HR numbers are nothing more than a curiosity and irrelevant. One can get their heart rate up to maximal by doing something as simple as 1/2 arm training in a gym circuit. The relevant figure is how much work you can do over a given period of time (IOW power on your bicycle).

wip said:
[lang=nl]I did yesterday my monthly "20min". FTP test (last time was about 10months ago :eek:)
I've gone from 255Watts to 355Watts

My maximum power what i tested at the sports lab was 390Watts. (januari)

I did the test on the rollertrainer because i had to babysit, but i think it was a good test, it hurted my legs and had to push myself to the limit to end with pushing above 400W.

Me:
weight: 69kg
lenght: 177cm
sport: Mountainbike (competition - Masters)
rest HF: 40bpm
Max HF: 174bpm (i know it is low)
Th HF: 147bpm.

Is it possible to increase that much in aprox. 1year ?
p4pb4919954.jpg
[/lang]

Impressive numbers - but you should really repear the test using the same protocol in the same location. Going from outdoors to indoors often skews the numbers.

[lang=nl]
DancenMacabre said:
wip asked...

Is It Possible to Increase That much (255->355 or 100w) in aprox. 1year?

• I don't know what you mean by your max power being tested at a sports lab. Perhaps you are alluding to MAP or power @ vo2max?
]This test was taken by a sportsdoctor for my racelicence on a ergotrainer (ergospirometrie).[/lang]
  • I've never ridden on rollers so I may be speaking with a lack of experience, but one thing that looks unusual is how your average speed for the 20 minutes was 36.4 kmph. I would think even on a MTB that 355 watts would be good for > ~21.5 mph.
Was ridden on fixed rollers, gear 44 -12 with slicks, and had the brakelever (on the rollertrainer) up to get enough resistance to get my power up.[/lang][/lang]

wip said:
[lang=nl] ]This test was taken by a sportsdoctor for my racelicence on a ergotrainer (ergospirometrie).[/lang]
Was ridden on fixed rollers, gear 44 -12 with slicks, and had the brakelever (on the rollertrainer) up to get enough resistance to get my power up.[/lang][/lang]

The test was done with a polar power sensor.
As i read here on the forum the measurment is fairly correct ?

But if i tested in januari on my max. power output 390, how is it possible to hold 355 for aprox. 1 hour:confused:
At 390 i almost dropped of the ergometer, verry short of breath
my VO2max was tested 72 the doctor told me to train more on resistance instead of longrides because of my VO2max.
So that is what i did sinse beginning january to now.

While I have seen an athlete gain 40% in FTP inside of a year, it is rare.

I would however suggest validating the accuracy of the equipment being used to measure/record power.

wip said:
The test was done with a polar power sensor...

wip said:
But if i tested in januari on my max. power output 390...

These two things together cast some doubt on the numbers. The polar is inaccurate in a lot of situations (I had one). Also, I don't know what kind of MAP test that was, but for the protocols I use 390 for MAP would typically correspond to an FTP around 300 I think. To verify the results you should do your FTP test on something more reliable than the Polar.

lanierb said:
To verify the results you should do your FTP test on something more reliable than the Polar.

Agree. I thought riding indoors was the most problematic mode for Polar PM accuracy.

wip said:
how is it possible to hold 355 for aprox. 1 hour:confused:

Simple, you get it in the 53 ring and then bung it in the 13 sprocket and you pedal...

... for an hour. :p

And you do it on a bike that isn't fitted with a 'power meter' that uses ancient witchcraft and hockus pokus techniques to guestimate power.

How are you getting 355?

The photo of the file you posted, clearly shows 339 as the best 20 min average power. 339*.95 as a rough estimate of FTP gives you 322 watts.

Even your normalized power was lower than 355 (348pNorm).

Did I misread something?

[lang=nl]
NateC said:
How are you getting 355?

The photo of the file you posted, clearly shows 339 as the best 20 min average power. 339*.95 as a rough estimate of FTP gives you 322 watts.

Even your normalized power was lower than 355 (348pNorm).

Did I misread something?

You are right, :eek:

My mistake should be 322
When i was calculating i probbalby highlighted the 5min peak, while i selected the 20min. peak.
WKO shouws the results from the highlighted and not the selected.

This looks a bid more realistic but still i have my doubds about it, looks like i have to save somme monny for a PT, any tips on cheap places are welkom.

Is it true that you only need a hub with ANT+ for use with an garmin edge 704?

Thanks for pointing at the mistake.,[/lang]