Laos UniTour 2006 Photos

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nathan, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. nathan

    nathan Guest

    I'm starting a new thread since I think there are going to be quite a
    few people posting their photos from the trip. First, let me say that
    Jason Williams of 'Grasshopper Anventures'
    (http://www.grasshopperadventures.com/index.html) was a perfect tour
    leader. I can't wait for the next Asian UniTour. And Ken Looi did so
    much in organizing this great trip. THANKS so much.

    I created a gallery of about 180 of my photos and 7 videos here:
    http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1181224.

    The videos are originally .mov but the site only accepts .mpg so I've
    converted them. But my favorite one, 'Rat on a stick'
    (http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1181224/11/55512453), was shot
    vertically and my converter can't handle unusual aspect ratios
    (480x640). Anyone have an easy way to go from mov->mpg for this size
    at 30fps (or probably simpler to rotate a .mpg file)? I tried a couple
    of packages that didn't work. Email/PM me if you have a solution.
    Thanks.

    Here is the 'Tour Website'
    (http://www.laosunitour.org/laos_unicycle_tour.htm) - there are photos
    and daily writeups in the 'Tour Blog'
    (http://www.laosunitour.org/tour_diary.htm) section (and more to come).
    You can still 'donate to Oxfam'
    (http://www.unicycle.co.nz/View.php?action=Donate) for the tour until
    Feb 24.

    A little on the riding: this tour was shorter than previous tours (12
    instead of 19 days) and had fewer riding days (only 6 instead of more
    like 14). But the riding itself was quite challenging:

    Day 4: Ride 60km/400m climbing (50km on dirt)
    Day 6: Ride 78km/1800m climbing
    Day 7: Ride 95km/1000m climbing
    Day 8: Ride 58km/300m climbing
    Day 10: Ride 107km/300m climbing
    Day 11: Ride 97km/200m climbing
    Total: 495km/4000m climbing
    Ave: 82.5km/667m climbing

    Quite a few of the riders hit new personal bests for distance or
    climbing, and certainly for effort. While long rides without much
    climbing are hard for me and not my favorite, I think this itinerary
    was about right. Certainly it was hard enough to make the trip very
    memorable, and it was possible for a number of us to ride every bit of
    it.

    We also had more riders than any other tour (except UAM '99). You might
    think that with 19 unicyclists plus 6 staff, the tour might be unwieldy
    and full of personality conflicts. But there was none of that. Jason
    handled everything and everyone just got along great.

    Enjoy,
    Nathan

    --
    nathan
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  2. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

  3. corbin

    corbin Guest

  4. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

  5. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    Ken can mannage a smile after a compound fracture? Impressive!

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper

    "My nuts are allways loose, i have to twist them with my fingers"
    -Spencer
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  6. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Great photos and another fun tour to follow from a distance.
    Happy belated Birhtday, Beau! I guess I will have to return the
    Rat-On-A-Stick I got you since your Mom already gave you one.

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis

    "Lol, of course it's not the best riding, if it were we'd be the best
    riders and you'd all know who we were." -kington99
    --------------'-top secret-'
    (http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html)-------------------------------------my
    -'-email-' ([email protected])-------------
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  7. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    Elephants and tigers, dream like pools to swim in, WOW. THanks for the
    pics, looks like a wonderful life experiance, and to share it with
    Beau, Fantastic. Keep up the great riding!

    --
    aspenmike
    aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

  8. nathan

    nathan Guest

    Thanks for the comments everyone. I did manage to fix the Rat-on-a-stick
    video. You can see it properly now:
    http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1181224/11/55644315

    I wore my Forerunner GPS on all the rides and here are links to all the
    charts etc if you're interested:

    'Day 4 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/7hnrt)
    'Day 6 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/b2ecx)
    'Day 7 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/crq42)
    'Day 8 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/bvk8y)
    'Day 10 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/dnwx3)
    'Day 11 MotionBased' (http://tinyurl.com/7ae44)

    Here's a sample chart from day 6. You can also export the data directly
    into GoogleEarth from motionbased (or use these convenient links):

    'Day 4 GoogleEarch' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay4.kmz)
    'Day 6 GoogleEarth' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay6.kmz)
    'Day 7 GoogleEarth' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay7.kmz)
    'Day 8 Google Earth' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay8.kmz)
    'Day 10 GoogleEarth' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay10.kmz)
    'Day 11 GoogleEarth' (http://www.nhoover.com/maps/lut/LUTDay11.kmz)

    ---Nathan

    PS Speaking of Rat-on-a-stick, I did see (but not photograph damn it)
    an even more interesting variety. This is where you take a rat, stick
    it on a stick and cook to taste. No skinning, cleaning etc. You're left
    with a crispy whole rat. As I rode past a very happy guy just about to
    eat one for his breakfast, I noticed a strong smell of burned rat fur.
    I'll never forget the look of pure joy on his face. I figure it was the
    combination of seeing us ride by with the anticipation of digging into
    a great breakfast.

    |Filename: day 6.jpg |

    nathan
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  9. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Thanks for the GE tinks, that is a cool way to view the route.

    The Rat video worked for me with RealPlayer, only after right-clicking
    and saving from the link as per the instructions on screen.
    That looked like rat jerky on a stick. It was probably better when
    they first cooked it, ... a week or so prior to selling it to you.

    --
    S_Wallis

    "Lol, of course it's not the best riding, if it were we'd be the best
    riders and you'd all know who we were." -kington99
    --------------'-top secret-'
    (http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html)-------------------------------------my
    -'-email-' ([email protected])-------------
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I like the alt text caption that pops up when you hover over 'the pig
    photo' (http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1181224/8/55505852) in the
    gallery. It says "Nathan Hoover A pig on the road". That's not a very
    nice thing to say about Nathan. :)

    All very nice photos and looks like a wonderful trip, except for Ken's
    accident. I'm going to have to get myself to the point where I can
    comfortably manage long rides day after day so I can do a uni tour. I
    really really don't like getting the numb butt saddle soreness. Riding
    stops being fun at that point for me.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  11. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

  12. Erin

    Erin Guest

    Fantastic photos Nathan! I really enjoyed looking at them....almost
    felt like I was there.

    The joy of being able to complete this tour as a family came through.
    You are a very lucky threesome!

    --
    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  13. Jester2000

    Jester2000 Guest

    Simply Mouthwatering! Fantastic photos and captions... I was just going
    to glance at them for now, but I had to look at them all! You are all
    animals!

    Later,

    Jess

    --
    Jester2000

    'unicyclejester.com' (http://www.unicyclejester.com) | 'busteduni.com'
    (http://www.busteduni.com) | 'primitivepictures.net'
    (http://www.primitivepictures.net) | 'teamprimitive.com'
    (http://www.teamprimitive.com)
    The next installment coming *SOON* to a browser near you. It's going
    to be BIG!
    My Photos! 'Trip to WA'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/wa_trip/) | 'Santa Barbara'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/s_barb_july_05/) | 'Dan Heaton'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/dan_heaton_visits)
    Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

  14. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    I was wondering who would get the best Monk photo. I thought I had the
    best one, but I think Nathan wins the Monk Photography Award for this
    effort:

    |Filename: 55507495-O.JPG |

    GizmoDuck

    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

    "It's not a unicycle ride if it's less than 30km." - note to self

  15. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    nathan wrote:
    > First, let me say that Jason Williams of 'Grasshopper Anventures'
    > (http://www.grasshopperadventures.com/index.html) was a perfect tour
    > leader. I can't wait for the next Asian UniTour. And Ken Looi did so
    > much in organizing this great trip. THANKS so much.

    I'll echo that! The tour was an amazing experience and it was very well
    organized and supported. I'm definitely going to sign up for upcoming
    unitours organized by Jason and Ken.

    nathan wrote:
    > We also had more riders than any other tour (except UAM '99). You might
    > think that with 19 unicyclists plus 6 staff, the tour might be unwieldy
    > and full of personality conflicts. But there was none of that. Jason
    > handled everything and everyone just got along great.

    Yes, everyone got along great! With the large number of people, from 8
    different countries (including Jason, I guess, 9 countries if you
    include the entire support crew), one would think that there would have
    been conflicts. However, the tour was very well organized with paid
    professional staff, and I think that led to it being conflict free as
    all the riders could focus on it being a unique cultural experience and
    holiday (vacation for us americans) and not expect anything from
    volunteers.

    Evan Byrne wrote:
    > Ken can mannage a smile after a compound fracture? Impressive!

    Definitely! I was one of the few ahead of Ken and waited at the first
    rest stop of that day for over an hour wondering why nobody was showing
    up.

    Hearing from the others and seeing this photo of Nathan's
    <http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1181224/8/55505911>, it was very
    clear that Ken handled the situation very well. Had he not been a
    doctor and not handled the situation correctly, he could have been in
    much worse shape (loosing lots of blood and being far from a hospital).
    The incident certainly made the rest of us on the tour think about the
    possibilities of what could happen to us in the middle of an
    inpoverished country. I was riding a schlumpf and I was going
    incredibly fast on it for the downhills. I wish I had a brake on it to
    slow me down! I was going way too fast on the downhills and if I had
    lost control and fell, I probably would have been in a very serious
    medical condition. Luckily that never happened.

    Daytripper63 wrote:
    > Looks like an awsome ride
    > Wish i could have joined everyone

    Based on comments from both Jason and Ken, it sounds very likely that
    there will be more great "'Grasshopper Adventures'
    (http://www.grasshopperadventures.com/)" in the future for unicyclists.
    If you are looking for a cultural experience with unicyclists from all
    over the world, I'd recommend joining these tours.

    GizmoDuck wrote:
    > I was wondering who would get the best Monk photo. I thought I had the
    > best one, but I think Nathan wins the Monk Photography Award for this
    > effort:

    Haha... The monks were quite amusing for me. Even after the unitour, we
    saw monks in the typical tourist areas acting just like regular
    tourists. On one of the boats Seth and I went on, there were seats
    labeled "reseverd for monks" which I found quite funny.

    I just got home today from the trip, but I will upload my photos to the
    gallery once I sort through them all.

    --
    Gilby
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  16. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    Gilby wrote:

    > Haha... The monks were quite amusing for me. Even after the unitour, we
    > saw monks in the typical tourist areas acting just like regular
    > tourists. On one of the boats Seth and I went on, there were seats
    > labeled "reserverd for monks" which I found quite funny.

    Welcome back Gilby. I'm about to fly home in about 3hrs (woohoo!).

    The funniest monk experience for me were the "Monks-with-cellphones"
    wandering around Bangkoks Pantip Plaza. Unfortunately I was too
    stunned to take a photo. I think there were Monks-with-ipods too.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

    "It's not a unicycle ride if it's less than 30km." - note to self

  17. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Thanks for this thread, and for sharing such great documentation of your
    adventure. I'm sure I'm not the only one silently whining to self "I
    wanna go on a tour! I wanna go on a tour!"

    Two questions:

    1) What's with the FBI guy in the background of the monk photo? :)

    2) Nathan: what software are you using to export your Forerunner stuff
    into Google Earth. I need to get all over that!

    TB

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  18. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  19. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I'm always thrilled to look at each and every one of your photos,
    Nathan. The water looked really, really nice. The videos were cool
    and reminded me of bike touring when I was just a little older than
    Beau is now.

    Thank you!

    --
    U-Turn