Lap Dogs and Driving

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Hobson <[email protected]> writes:

> iPods have special batteries more akin to that of a cell phone and they
> can't be replaced...well, they couldn't but after a big internet
> whistle-blowing similar to the Krypto U-lock ordeal, they fixed it. I
> can't think of where those batteries would be coming from.

Me neither, but I generally find them in pairs.
They might not have enough zap left to run anything
motorized, like walkmans or personal CD players, but
they're still good enough to light up my Planet Bike
3-LED front light. And it even flashes pretty fast
in blink mode.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Rick" wrote: Already conceived, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another argument for supporting Planned Parenthood.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> >> I'm finding lots of AA cells lying around town. I figure
> >> they're from people's iPods. I guess when the cells get
> >> too weak to run their iPods, folks just jettison them.
> >> But they still have plenty of charge for other applications,
> >> including bike lights.

> > iPods (any version) don't use removable batteries of any sort.

> hmmm, I wonder where they're coming from then. Maybe
> personal CD players?

Possibly. Several personal electronic devices could be fairly accused, I
suppose, or maybe they're all from small flashlights, or (dare I say
it?) blinky bike lights.

> West Broadway seems to be rife with 'em, especially around Kitsilano.
>
> Another thing I've been noticing lately is groups of two, three, four
> people gathered around parking meters, apparently head-scratchingly
> and lingeringly trying to figure out how (or how much?) to feed them.
> I note the meters now have slots for debit or credit cards -- maybe
> the meters ate their cards.

I'm pretty sure they can't. The slots are of the type that require
manual intervention: you push the card in and pull it out, and it never
goes all the way into the slot. More likely Vancouver's moderately
arcane parking rules, inscribed in small type on the meter heads, are
what are causing the head-scratching.

Have a lap dog, drive downtown, but don't own an iPod,

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm finding lots of AA cells lying around town. I figure
>they're from people's iPods. I guess when the cells get
>too weak to run their iPods, folks just jettison them.

You figure wrong since all iPods are rechargable.

--
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
was $54,567, married couples' exemption $72,756, the next $363,783 was taxed

On 25-Aug-2005, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> More notably, most of the better MP3 players I am familiar with don't
> use standard battery sizes

"Better" and "MP3" is an oxymoron. 16 bit PCM is marginally acceptable;
anything less is excrement.

--
Sock Puppet

"Sock Puppet" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 25-Aug-2005, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > More notably, most of the better MP3 players I am familiar with don't
> > use standard battery sizes

> "Better" and "MP3" is an oxymoron. 16 bit PCM is marginally acceptable;
> anything less is excrement.

There are better and worse evil dictators (Pinochet: better than
******). Most "MP3" players are capable of several other, better formats
than MP3 itself, but I didn't feel like using "personal music players"
or "solid-state and hard disk-based portable media players" to describe
them. Heck, some people call all devices of this type "iPods."

I don't own an MP3/PMP/etc, for various reasons. Sound quality is one
small part of that, though I generally find good CDs acceptable on my
good-enough home stereo (a pair of Infinity RS2 bookshelf speakers
driven by some pre-Dolby Digital Yamaha receiver, and the CD player is a
5-disc Toshiba unit. Most of this stuff was bought about 5-7 years ago,
new or used.

-RjC.