Laptop computer: in panniers or messenger bag?

Stiffneck

Oct 3, 2003
I have started biking to work once a week. I'd like to do it more often. Currently, I leave my laptop at work if I am planning to bike the next day. This is an inconvenience because I can't work at night and can't telecommute if I can't go into work (i.e. staying home with sick kids or meeting a plumber to unclog a...)

My commute is 13 miles each way. Very flat. A mix of 1/2 busy streets and 1/2 paved bike path.

I would love my 12"x10" laptop weight to be down low and on the bike in a pannier, but I am afraid the bumps and shocks would be too much and computer would be safer in a bag on my back.

How should I carry my laptop? In a messenger bag/backpack? Or in panniers?

I would be chicken about transporting it. what about using a cheeper desktop at home and just transporting the hard drive or using a memory card to transport the work? a memory card would be the easiest.

I haven't used a pannier but I have carried a laptop in a back pack and a messenger bag. I prefered the messenger bag. I like having the weight lower on my back. It is more aerodynamic and more comfortable. The messenger bag leaves less of a sweat "footprint" on your back. I couldn't find a backpack with the heavy duty rubberized lining although I'm sure they are available. I think this lining is a must. The outside of my bag has been very wet and the inside has always been dry, until I open it.

I have fallen several times with my laptop in both sytles of bags and the computer was not harmed in any of the accidents(maybe I should wrap myself in a bag). I'm not sure that would be the case with a pannier. I use my messenger bag every day and I really like it much better than a back pack.

I jsut got a cycling backpack a big one from REI. 2000 cubic inches I think. most of the bulk is lower down it has a built in rain cover water holder and big side pockets and a helpmet strap. plus it has the webbing to keep it off your back. on clearence 49.99

I've done the messenger bag thing with a laptop (but can't compare it with panniers), worked fine for me, sits nicely on your back (usually put a layer of clothes underneath.

I find carrying weight in a pannier, that is, down low to keep center of gravity low, provides much better bike handling, which for commuters is a safety issue.

I routinely carry an IBM T40 in a Carradice Shopper pannier on the rear of my commuting bike. This pannier is huge, so it easily holds the computer in a padded case, and whatever else I want to bring along. I have yet to have any hard disk or other problems that appear related to the machine getting shaken around on the ride--I think a decent padded case would preclude this anyway.

I have been carrying my Fujitsu P-2110 subnotebook in the Medium Timbuk2 computer commuter messenger bag for about a year and a half without any problems. But my commute is really short and I don't work up much of a sweat.

When I've ridden longer in the summer, having the weight on your shoulder for a long time can result in a sore shoulder and a big sweat patch. Backpacks at least spread the load, but are even hotter.

You might want to check out the Ortlieb Office pannier. I would buy one if I had a longer commute (might buy one anyway). It mounts and dismounts quickly from the rack (I have Ortlieb panniers with the QL2 system and they are great). And it provides a lot of padding and some suspension. you can put some extra material (spare tshirt) in the bottom of the bag to offer additional shock absorption.

A more classic, but perhaps less convenient, option would be the Carradice office pannier. I say less convenient, because the mounting/dismounting looks a little trickier, but Carradice makes beautiful waxed canvas bags.

Either way I think your laptop will be safe on a pannier unless you are doing big drops off high curbs and as long as you avoid monster potholes. Laptops and hard drives are more rugged than you think these days, but if you travel with one at all...it's best to have damage insurance. A cracked display will cost you as much as the laptop is worth to fix it.

Many homeowners and renters policies have laptop insurance available, and some companies provided inexpensive laptop coverage as a stand-alone service. Oh... and backup your data regularly whether you carry the laptop on your bike or not.

Sean

I have a few Carradice and Ortlieb panniers. The two have near identical mounting systems. I would rate the Carridice attachment clips slightly more rugged, and the Ortlieb clips slightly easier to adjust.