Laptop on exercise bike?

ZBicyclist

Guest
On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
ideas?

> I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
> It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
> basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
> the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
> Here is a picture of the handlebars:
> http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
> Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
> How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
> how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
> the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
> such that I can use it while I bike.

(I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

--
Mike Kruger
the CIA created more controversy today by acknowledging that it accidentally

On Dec 9, 6:58 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> ideas?
>
> > I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
> > It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
> > basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
> > the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
> > Here is a picture of the handlebars:
> >http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
> > Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
> > How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
> > how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
> > the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
> > such that I can use it while I bike.

> (I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)
>
> --
> Mike Kruger
> the CIA created more controversy today by acknowledging that it accidentally
> returned several interrogation tapes to Blockbuster. [Andy Borowitz]

How about a larger TV with computer input and wireless keyboard and
mouse?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:58:25 GMT, "ZBicyclist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
>ideas?
>
>> I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
>> It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
>> basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
>> the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
>> Here is a picture of the handlebars:
>> http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
>> Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
>> How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
>> how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
>> the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
>> such that I can use it while I bike.

>(I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

I'd start looking around for an old articulated monitor shelf that
held a CRT monitor. That could be mounted to a convenient wall or
table. A more dedicated installation would be welded, or possibly
clamped, to the handle bar support column. A simple tray is then
screwed to the shelf to increase its size for accomodating a laptop.
--
zk

Zoot's ideas all sound do-able. You must not be a shop/tool/project type
person, or you would already have this done. Run down your list of
friends--who has a shop with woodworking and/or welding tools?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:47:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot's ideas all sound do-able. You must not be a shop/tool/project type
>person, or you would already have this done. Run down your list of
>friends--who has a shop with woodworking and/or welding tools?

What amazes me is that some people are amazed by the obvious and much
of their knowledge is either arcane or irrelevant to me.

A philosopher PhD friend thoroughly understood Pythagorean theorem,
he just never saw it work the way a carpenter does. Blew his mind.

A history of trial and error helps sort out the options while
spurning new solutions.

The inspiration to "re-purpose" a found item can sometimes get my
juices flowing to the point of lapsing into manic behaviour..
--
zk

ZBicyclist wrote:
> On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> ideas?

>> I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
>> It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
>> basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
>> the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
>> Here is a picture of the handlebars:
>> http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
>> Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
>> How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
>> how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
>> the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
>> such that I can use it while I bike.

> (I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

You're looking for an 'exerciser book holder'. Here are examples:
http://www.proportionalreading.com/tools/othertools.html#BBH

http://www.backbenimble.com/new/pages/levo/index.htm

(from a websearch, no endorsement )
or, if one cannot be found easily, a sheet music stand and a bit of
hardware.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> I'd caution a pedestal type music stand as opposed to the
> light-weight folding tripod

All the music stands I've ever known don't have enough
beef or stability to support expensive electronic
equipment and instill a sense of confidence in the user.
In fact they don't have enough beef or stability to
support sheet music. They /want/ to be tipped over.
They especially like to catch loose shirt sleeves,
and the toes of those who pronate.

The whole idea of reading & perusing while exercising
sounds rather oxymoronic to me. Why not just hire
somebody to do the exercising for you? Kick back with
a six-pack of Chelsea buns and a bag o' Cheetos and a
Coke while watching them work.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Dec 9, 6:58 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> ideas?
>
> > I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
> > It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
> > basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
> > the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
> > Here is a picture of the handlebars:
> >http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
> > Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
> > How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
> > how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
> > the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
> > such that I can use it while I bike.

Absolutely pointless. Get an MP3 player and a subscription to Audible
or a suitable equivalent. I just listened to a goodly portion of the
original Hitchhiker's Guide BBC broadcast today on my Sansa Clip
(brill little unit, BTW) while doing **** around the house. I consumed
Gore's newest a couple weeks ago. Audio books are the future, I'm
ditching my wax cylinder collection.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> A philosopher PhD friend thoroughly understood Pythagorean theorem,
> he just never saw it work the way a carpenter does. Blew his mind.

I have a copy of this:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,steel-square-book,1281442.html
The Steel Square Book, by Fred T. Hodgson. I believe there
are re-prints available, possibly at Book Warehouse. It's
an excellent reference source.

> A history of trial and error helps sort out the options while
> spurning new solutions.
>
> The inspiration to "re-purpose" a found item can sometimes get my
> juices flowing to the point of lapsing into manic behaviour..

I'm almost ready to build my pizza hod. I've just gotta
get past the holiday season, to see where my budget goes.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Before you go to all the trouble of building a support for your laptop, I
suggest you find out what it is like to try to read while pedalling, taking
into account the distance to the "page," the fineness of the print, the
motion of your head and the need to scroll copy or "turn pages." Get
someone to stand in front of your exerciser and hold the laptop in a good
position while you pedal and read. Also, allow for the possibility that you
may be dripping sweat while pressing the keys.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> ZBicyclist wrote:
> >
> >On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> >ideas?
> >>
> >> I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
> >> It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
> >> basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...

> I'd start looking around for an old articulated monitor shelf that
> held a CRT monitor. That could be mounted to a convenient wall or
> table. A more dedicated installation would be welded, or possibly
> clamped, to the handle bar support column. A simple tray is then
> screwed to the shelf to increase its size for accomodating a laptop.

Heck, as long as I were mounting a CRT arm, I'd use an old >20" CRT
which now in the age of flat screens can be had for a song, or even
for free. All the better for cranking up the default font sizes to
"old and blind", or in this case, "sweaty and flailing".

I'd add any obsolescent desktop box, a wireless card, keyboard with a
condom on it, and a trackball. The computer and display can be placed
out of harm's way; the keyboard is sweat-protected and the trackball
needs only enough real estate to perch on.

Best of all, the whole thing is far cheaper than even the most
disposable laptop, and it's always ready and waiting there along with
the self-flagellation device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JkJG03BPmA

Chalo

"ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> ideas?
>
>> I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
>> It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
>> basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
>> the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
>> Here is a picture of the handlebars:
>> http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
>> Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
>> How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
>> how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
>> the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
>> such that I can use it while I bike.

> (I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

I suggest boosting the power output while riding the exercise bike to reduce
the overall time spent riding it. Get an MP3 player and forget trying to
use a laptop while exercising. The low-level effort won't bring much
benefit (unless you have one-foot-out-of-the-grave). The higher level of
intensity will strengthen the heart and boost the metabolism (among other
things). Alternating periods of high-intensity with low-intensity has been
shown to have great benefits, which are lost completely by the sort of flat,
weak cardio that one gets from trying to read and surf the web while on an
exercise bike. An exercise bike is a good way to incorporate high intensity
execise since the body doesn't get beat to hell while riding.

Roger Zoul wrote:

> I suggest boosting the power output while riding the exercise bike to reduce
> the overall time spent riding it. Get an MP3 player and forget trying to
> use a laptop while exercising. The low-level effort won't bring much
> benefit (unless you have one-foot-out-of-the-grave). The higher level of
> intensity will strengthen the heart and boost the metabolism (among other
> things). Alternating periods of high-intensity with low-intensity has been
> shown to have great benefits, which are lost completely by the sort of flat,
> weak cardio that one gets from trying to read and surf the web while on an
> exercise bike.

I think that's performance benefits you're talking about. The health
and general fitness benefits of exercise are all provided by moderate
physical activity. For those who actually compete in races, then
performance really counts. For the rest of us, why bother? For the
same health and mood benefits, would most of us rather work easy and
feel good or work hard and suffer?

> An exercise bike is a good way to incorporate high intensity
> execise since the body doesn't get beat to hell while riding.

Sounds like you have a problem with your bike, if you get beat up
while riding. Try fatter tires at lower pressure and a sprung
saddle.

Chalo

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote

> Roger Zoul wrote:
>>
>> I suggest boosting the power output while riding the exercise bike to
>> reduce
>> the overall time spent riding it. Get an MP3 player and forget trying to
>> use a laptop while exercising. The low-level effort won't bring much
>> benefit (unless you have one-foot-out-of-the-grave). The higher level of
>> intensity will strengthen the heart and boost the metabolism (among other
>> things). Alternating periods of high-intensity with low-intensity has
>> been
>> shown to have great benefits, which are lost completely by the sort of
>> flat,
>> weak cardio that one gets from trying to read and surf the web while on
>> an
>> exercise bike.

> I think that's performance benefits you're talking about.

No, I'm not talking about performance at all (though that is another
option). I'm talking about keeping {getting} the heart muscle
strong...steady easy cardio won't protect your heart against those
situations where it needs to work hard...

> The health
> and general fitness benefits of exercise are all provided by moderate
> physical activity.

Some are...that is true, but not those that lead to protection of your
heart. Mixing intervals provides both...

> For those who actually compete in races, then
> performance really counts. For the rest of us, why bother?

This has nothing to do with racing...if you have a heart, it needs to be
strong and there is nothing wrong with exercising it as you would any other
muscle. It's an excellent way to burn calories and it provides a metabolic
boost that is not found with flat, easy cardio that one does while reading
or surfing the web.

> For the
> same health and mood benefits, would most of us rather work easy and
> feel good or work hard and suffer?

Working "easy" doesn't yield the same benefits as working hard. Also, what
does working hard have to equate to suffering? That's a built in bias that
you have somehow aquired.

>> An exercise bike is a good way to incorporate high intensity
>> execise since the body doesn't get beat to hell while riding.

> Sounds like you have a problem with your bike, if you get beat up
> while riding. Try fatter tires at lower pressure and a sprung
> saddle.

Why does that sound like I have a problem with my bike? The same would be
true of a road bike on a decent road (hills help with the high intensity
part if you hammer up them), were it not for cars...that's why I don't
recommend a real bike for someone getting into HIIT. An exercise bike
removes any hazards of cars, dogs, falling, etc. Hence, it's an excellent
way to increase intensity without risking serious injury.

Chalo Colina wrote:
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>> An exercise bike is a good way to incorporate high intensity
>> execise since the body doesn't get beat to hell while riding.

> Sounds like you have a problem with your bike, if you get beat up
> while riding. Try fatter tires at lower pressure and a sprung
> saddle.

In my opinion, the RANS Stratus that Roger Zoul rides has a very cushy
ride for an unsuspended bicycle. The Stratus has considerably more
vertical frame compliance than a diamond frame upright.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Chalo Colina wrote:
> >
> > Roger Zoul wrote:
> >> An exercise bike is a good way to incorporate high intensity
> >> execise since the body doesn't get beat to hell while riding.

> > Sounds like you have a problem with your bike, if you get beat up
> > while riding. Try fatter tires at lower pressure and a sprung
> > saddle.

> In my opinion, the RANS Stratus that Roger Zoul rides has a very cushy
> ride for an unsuspended bicycle. The Stratus has considerably more
> vertical frame compliance than a diamond frame upright.

Ah, I get it... he can't stand up, so he has to accept the beating.
It makes sense.

Chalo

Roger Zoul wrote:

> Chalo wrote
> >
> > Roger Zoul wrote:
> >>
> >> I suggest boosting the power output while riding the exercise bike to
> >> reduce
> >> the overall time spent riding it. Get an MP3 player and forget trying to
> >> use a laptop while exercising. The low-level effort won't bring much
> >> benefit (unless you have one-foot-out-of-the-grave). The higher level of
> >> intensity will strengthen the heart and boost the metabolism (among other
> >> things). Alternating periods of high-intensity with low-intensity has
> >> been
> >> shown to have great benefits, which are lost completely by the sort of
> >> flat,
> >> weak cardio that one gets from trying to read and surf the web while on
> >> an
> >> exercise bike.

> > I think that's performance benefits you're talking about.

> No, I'm not talking about performance at all (though that is another
> option). I'm talking about keeping {getting} the heart muscle
> strong...steady easy cardio won't protect your heart against those
> situations where it needs to work hard...
>
> > The health
> > and general fitness benefits of exercise are all provided by moderate
> > physical activity.

> Some are...that is true, but not those that lead to protection of your
> heart. Mixing intervals provides both...

If you say so. But it seems that the people who live to extreme age
are ones who exercise moderately (typically just taking regular
walks), and not elite athletes.

> > For those who actually compete in races, then
> > performance really counts. For the rest of us, why bother?

> This has nothing to do with racing...if you have a heart, it needs to be
> strong and there is nothing wrong with exercising it as you would any other
> muscle. It's an excellent way to burn calories and it provides a metabolic
> boost that is not found with flat, easy cardio that one does while reading
> or surfing the web.

That's Jim Fixx's story and he's sticking to it.

> > For the
> > same health and mood benefits, would most of us rather work easy and
> > feel good or work hard and suffer?

> Working "easy" doesn't yield the same benefits as working hard. Also, what
> does working hard have to equate to suffering? That's a built in bias that
> you have somehow aquired.

That's right, I was born, like most people, with an acquired aversion
to pain, and I was indoctrinated with the belief that things that hurt
cause suffering. Working my heart rate up to 200 bpm, for instance.

Exercise should not hurt, and if it does you're probably doing it
wrong (or at least not getting any extra benefit from it).

Chalo

Mike wrote:
> On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
> ideas?

> > I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
> > It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
> > basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
> > the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
> > Here is a picture of the handlebars:
> >http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
> > Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
> > How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
> > how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
> > the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
> > such that I can use it while I bike.

Sometimes I go to the Y with my laptop. Bungie cord around the display
on the exer-unit and across the plastic island between the keyboard
and the mousepad. Works OK, fits all their machines.

And they have "Y" fi!

--Karen D.

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>>
>> Chalo wrote

>> > I think that's performance benefits you're talking about.

>> No, I'm not talking about performance at all (though that is another
>> option). I'm talking about keeping {getting} the heart muscle
>> strong...steady easy cardio won't protect your heart against those
>> situations where it needs to work hard...
>>
>> > The health
>> > and general fitness benefits of exercise are all provided by moderate
>> > physical activity.

>> Some are...that is true, but not those that lead to protection of your
>> heart. Mixing intervals provides both...

> If you say so. But it seems that the people who live to extreme age
> are ones who exercise moderately (typically just taking regular
> walks), and not elite athletes.

The people who live to extreme age are genetic freaks and execise probably
didn't matter. And it not simply about how long you live, but *how* you
live.

>> > For those who actually compete in races, then
>> > performance really counts. For the rest of us, why bother?

>> This has nothing to do with racing...if you have a heart, it needs to be
>> strong and there is nothing wrong with exercising it as you would any
>> other
>> muscle. It's an excellent way to burn calories and it provides a
>> metabolic
>> boost that is not found with flat, easy cardio that one does while
>> reading
>> or surfing the web.

> That's Jim Fixx's story and he's sticking to it.

I don't know of Jim Fixx.

>> > For the
>> > same health and mood benefits, would most of us rather work easy and
>> > feel good or work hard and suffer?

>> Working "easy" doesn't yield the same benefits as working hard. Also,
>> what
>> does working hard have to equate to suffering? That's a built in bias
>> that
>> you have somehow aquired.

> That's right, I was born, like most people, with an acquired aversion
> to pain, and I was indoctrinated with the belief that things that hurt
> cause suffering. Working my heart rate up to 200 bpm, for instance.

Who's talking about pain...I'm talking about using an stationary exercise
bike to avoid pain. Hard exercise doesn't hurt and if it does, you probably
should quit.

Also, max heart rate is what it is and many people HR won't get to 200 bpm.

> Exercise should not hurt, and if it does you're probably doing it
> wrong (or at least not getting any extra benefit from it).
>
> Chalo

Seems you really don't like exercise at all.