Laptop recomendations

xilios

May 2, 2004
Hi all,
After our last tour my wife and I are thinking about taking a laptop on tour but there are so many out there we do not know where to start. We are mainly concerned about road vibrations, as we've heard it can play havoc on those delicate machines. Also weight could be an issue because I've seen a couple that weight over 4kgs :eek:
We're thinking of using it to keep maps, photos, write journals, a couple films "optional" (for those rainy days traped in the tent), internet, etc...
Has anyone out there been using one that they can recomend?
cheers

xilios said:
Hi all,
After our last tour my wife and I are thinking about taking a laptop on tour but there are so many out there we do not know where to start. We are mainly concerned about road vibrations, as we've heard it can play havoc on those delicate machines. Also weight could be an issue because I've seen a couple that weight over 4kgs :eek:
We're thinking of using it to keep maps, photos, write journals, a couple films "optional" (for those rainy days traped in the tent), internet, etc...
Has anyone out there been using one that they can recomend?
cheers
Panasonic Toughbook RNB 100 Convertible.
Strong, relatively light, low power requirements, built in 10/100 & wireless.
GPS option is nice too.
I have used it on trips with good results.

I used to carry my iBook G4 everywhere! I have several heavy-duty, special backpacks made specially for carrying laptops. However, I haven't carried my iBook on my bicycle .... It did get plenty of bouncing around though, riding in the van, and on my back, tossing my backpack down wherever. Sometimes I even forgot that I had my iBook inside the pack ....

I'm still using my iBook right now, after nearly five years! Seems pretty tough. You might want to contact Tim and ask him which laptop he uses. He has travelled around the world for 6 1/2 years, using his laptop everyday on their journeys all around South America, Central America, Mexico, United States, Canada, Asia ....

http://downtheroad.org/

vja4Him said:
I used to carry my iBook G4 everywhere! I have several heavy-duty, special backpacks made specially for carrying laptops. However, I haven't carried my iBook on my bicycle .... It did get plenty of bouncing around though, riding in the van, and on my back, tossing my backpack down wherever. Sometimes I even forgot that I had my iBook inside the pack ....

I'm still using my iBook right now, after nearly five years! Seems pretty tough. You might want to contact Tim and ask him which laptop he uses. He has travelled around the world for 6 1/2 years, using his laptop everyday on their journeys all around South America, Central America, Mexico, United States, Canada, Asia ....

http://downtheroad.org/

Hi,
My fault but I've forgoten to mention on these forums that we've chosen to go with the Asus eee 901 with windows installed. It has worked great so far and we've used it on a trip to Greece but not on our bikes.
thanks