Laptops in Panniers??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hi, I'm planning on going touring for a few months and was wondering about the viability of taking a laptop with me during the trip.

    I know that laptops are more safely stored in a backpack whilst cycling around; Crumpler and Timbuk2 both have a great range of bags designed to carry laptops.

    However, I have seen panniers that have laptop compartments. This has struck me as being a bit odd because I always thought that any electronic goods carried in a pannier would get shaken to bits no matter how good the cushioning was.

    So should I just forget the laptop option and just rely on internet cafes that I come across?

    If anyone has any experience of this, I'd appreciate your advice.

    Thanks. Danny.

    Tags:

  2. Maf

    Maf Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Hi, I'm planning on going touring for a few months and was
    > wondering about the viability of taking a laptop with me
    > during the trip.
    >
    > I know that laptops are more safely stored in a backpack
    > whilst cycling around; Crumpler and Timbuk2 both have a
    > great range of bags designed to carry laptops.
    >
    > However, I have seen panniers that have laptop
    > compartments. This has struck me as being a bit odd
    > because I always thought that any electronic goods carried
    > in a pannier would get shaken to bits no matter how good
    > the cushioning was.
    >
    > So should I just forget the laptop option and just rely on
    > internet cafes that I come across?
    >
    > If anyone has any experience of this, I'd appreciate
    > your advice.
    >
    > Thanks. Danny.
    >

    > --

    I regularly carry my compaq Evo N400c laptop in a briefcase
    in my pannier on my 8 mile commute. Never had any problem.

    Mike

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > So should I just forget the laptop option and just rely on
    > internet cafes that I come across?

    Yep. There are internet cafes everywhere. You don't need to
    carry the extra weight. I doubt I'd use a laptop much anyway
    -- too busy cycling/eating/drinking/sleeping/swimming.

  4. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > So should I just forget the laptop option and just rely on
    > internet cafes that I come across?

    Yes. Don't rely on internet cafes though, learn to live
    without t'internet and write/use the phone. On my Trans
    America Ride I sent a postcard every Thursday and now
    have a pictoral record and a note of my changing thoughts
    of the trip.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > So should I just forget the laptop option and just rely on
    > internet cafes that I come across?

    Sheesh! Don't these people have iPaqs?

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  6. [email protected] schreef ...

    > If anyone has any experience of this, I'd appreciate
    > your advice.

    An acquaintance of mine works in a school where people
    are confronted with dead laptop batteries if they ride in
    below-zero (Celsius, that is) temperatures. So if your
    ride will take you in such areas, either remove the
    batteries and store them on your body or leave the laptop
    at home entirely.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  7. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:44:43 GMT, in
    <[email protected]>, dannyfrankszzz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm planning on going touring for a few months and was
    >wondering about the viability of taking a laptop with me
    >during the trip.

    Buy a Psion Series 5 instead. I believe Guy has more than
    one to spare ...

    --
    When one is on a bicycle, all roads lead to roam.
    www.artybee.net (same crap, different layout)

  8. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > Hi, I'm planning on going touring for a few months and was
    > wondering about the viability of taking a laptop with me
    > during the trip.

    Certainly possible - we sometimes carry a laptop in a
    pannier and it has never come to any harm. However I cannot
    see it being worthwhile lugging it around just for the sake
    of having it on tour. Get some sort of PDA instead, if you
    really want something like that. A psion 5 is just about
    perfect for writing a journal, there are probably beter
    choices if you want a wifi web/email connection.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is by treading on the
    toes of giants. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  9. James Annan <[email protected]> writes:

    >dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    >> Hi, I'm planning on going touring for a few months and
    >> was wondering about the viability of taking a laptop with
    >> me during the trip.

    >Certainly possible - we sometimes carry a laptop in a
    >pannier and it has never come to any harm. However I cannot
    >see it being worthwhile lugging it around just for the sake
    >of having it on tour. Get some sort of PDA instead, if you
    >really want something like that. A psion 5 is just about
    >perfect for writing a journal, there are probably beter
    >choices if you want a wifi web/email connection.

    The Psion 5mx is the one to get, significantly better
    than the 5.

    When away from my desk I sometimes post to this newsgroup
    from mine, using a mobile phone as modem. It's a bit old,
    out of date, and no longer in production, but I hang on to
    it because nothing in the PDA market yet seems to offer its
    nice combination of good battery consumption (low battery
    means you have a few days left), good keyboard both for
    serious writing two-handed on a table, or used in
    "thumbing" mobile-phone texting mode while sitting in
    busses, walking round shops, etc., and solidly reliable
    adaptable software, with such things as scripting macros,
    programming language, etc..

    There's plenty of much flashier stuff, colour, super fast
    processors, etc., but IMHO nothing which simply works as
    well as a seriously portable computer.

    I might have to buy another as a spare, since the market now
    seems as disinclined to produce a seriously good palmtop
    which is actually a good standalone computer as opposed to a
    Micros**t Windoze accessory, as it is disinclined to produce
    mobile phones which just simply are good sound phones,
    modems, etc., without bells, flashing lights, and whistles,
    or as it is disinclined to produce sensible utility
    bicycles, or even a bike helmet which actually does what it
    says on the tin.

    It was a really really really stupid mistake to give
    teenagers so much pocket money. It's screwed up the entire
    world market for useful entertaining gadgets.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  10. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > The Psion 5mx is the one to get, significantly better
    > than the 5.

    Seconded, but ours spends most of its time in a box and I
    had forgotten the letters!

    I use a Revo most of the time now, the smaller size is worth
    the drawbacks for us. But on a long trip (especially cycling
    and holiday), the 5(mx) wins out cos of the AA batteries (I
    just worked out that the revo can easily be charged from a
    PC USB port, which may be handy in some circumstances).

    Next may be a sharp zaurus, but we aren't yet quite sure
    that it will
    (a) do what we want and (b) that we really want to do what
    we think we want to do! Which is to run LaTeX and give
    presentations without carrying a laptop (and without
    having to finalise the presentations before setting
    out). I agree that most of the current crop of PDAs are
    not really much use.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is by treading on the
    toes of giants. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  11. Karen Lipkow

    Karen Lipkow Guest

    I am regularly commuting with my PowerBook Titanium inside
    an Eagle-Creek Computer Vault inside Ortlieb panniers. After
    a few months, the latch broke, so now Velcro strips are
    keeping the lid closed ;-). I haven't had a problem since.

    But I do agree with the others that you should think
    carefully whether to take a heavy, breakable and highly
    nickable labtop along. I wrote parts of my PhD thesis on a
    Palm m500 with attached keyboard - for emails and diary a
    PDA is certainly enough. Photographs are a different
    issue, though.

    Let us know what you decide to do !

    Karen
    --
    remove underscore and seven from my email address

  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 19/4/04 5:03 pm, in article
    [email protected], "Karen Lipkow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am regularly commuting with my PowerBook Titanium
    > inside an Eagle-Creek Computer Vault inside Ortlieb
    > panniers. After a few months, the latch broke, so now
    > Velcro strips are keeping the lid closed ;-). I haven't
    > had a problem since.

    The latch broke on my powerbook too. It ends up either slung
    on my back in one or other of the targus cases (briefcase or
    backpack one) or stuffed into the rucksack, or as a last
    resort, stuffed into the briefcase pannier (in the briefcase
    targus bag). Last friday I had to pick up a parcel from the
    post office. Ended up with the parcel on the child seat, and
    opening the parcel to stick the laptop (in bag) inside.

    > But I do agree with the others that you should think
    > carefully whether to take a heavy, breakable and highly
    > nickable labtop along. I wrote parts of my PhD thesis on a
    > Palm m500 with attached keyboard - for emails and diary a
    > PDA is certainly enough. Photographs are a different
    > issue, though.

    I've been looking at the little things from archos which a
    couple of guys in the lab have and like. These can take a
    compact flash card and allow you to view your photos.

    ..d