Large bicycle helmets

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Michael, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are
    slightly too small, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the
    direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something slightly
    larger.

    Cheers
    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Jock

    Jock Guest

    I hope that's 59 cm and not inches GAGS... talk about swollen head ??
    Jock
    "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are
    > > slightly too small, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the
    > > direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something slightly
    > > larger.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Michael

    > Maybe you could try one of those plastic rainwater tank

    stores.........just
    > kiddin.....I've got a pretty big melon as well (59") and it took me ages

    > find a helmet that fit me. I ended up going for a Giro from a bike shop

    in
    > Church St (South Melbourne I think). I can't remember the name of the

    shop
    > or the actual model helmet but it is pretty well the top of the line
    > mountain bike helmet (I am too lazy to find the receipt or go out in the
    > shed to check the model). My last three helmets have been Giros as they
    > seem to be a bit "deeper" than the Met helmets and some others that I

    tried
    > (they all felt like they were perched on the top of my head). I

    especially
    > like Giro's "Rock Lock" system at the back of the helmet that makes
    > adjusting it to fit your scone pretty easy.
    >
    > Anyway, good luck,
    >
    > Gags.....who thinks his large head is just in proportion to his 195cm and
    > 99kg.

  3. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are
    > slightly too small, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the
    > direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something slightly
    > larger.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Michael

    Maybe you could try one of those plastic rainwater tank stores.........just
    kiddin.....I've got a pretty big melon as well (59") and it took me ages to
    find a helmet that fit me. I ended up going for a Giro from a bike shop in
    Church St (South Melbourne I think). I can't remember the name of the shop
    or the actual model helmet but it is pretty well the top of the line
    mountain bike helmet (I am too lazy to find the receipt or go out in the
    shed to check the model). My last three helmets have been Giros as they
    seem to be a bit "deeper" than the Met helmets and some others that I tried
    (they all felt like they were perched on the top of my head). I especially
    like Giro's "Rock Lock" system at the back of the helmet that makes
    adjusting it to fit your scone pretty easy.

    Anyway, good luck,

    Gags.....who thinks his large head is just in proportion to his 195cm and
    99kg.

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Oops....I mean 59cm....hehehe.

    Speaking of melon sizes....I used to know a bloke who was about 6'2" or so
    and about 95kg (big gym head type)
    and he had a 51cm head......Looked way too small....like the bodybuilding
    cartoons....we used to call him pinny (ie pin head).

    Gags

    "Jock" <[email protected]au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I hope that's 59 cm and not inches GAGS... talk about swollen head ??
    > Jock
    > "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are
    > > > slightly too small, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the
    > > > direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something slightly
    > > > larger.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Michael

    > > Maybe you could try one of those plastic rainwater tank

    > stores.........just
    > > kiddin.....I've got a pretty big melon as well (59") and it took me ages

    > > find a helmet that fit me. I ended up going for a Giro from a bike shop

    > in
    > > Church St (South Melbourne I think). I can't remember the name of the

    > shop
    > > or the actual model helmet but it is pretty well the top of the line
    > > mountain bike helmet (I am too lazy to find the receipt or go out in the
    > > shed to check the model). My last three helmets have been Giros as they
    > > seem to be a bit "deeper" than the Met helmets and some others that I

    > tried
    > > (they all felt like they were perched on the top of my head). I

    > especially
    > > like Giro's "Rock Lock" system at the back of the helmet that makes
    > > adjusting it to fit your scone pretty easy.
    > >
    > > Anyway, good luck,
    > >
    > > Gags.....who thinks his large head is just in proportion to his 195cm

    and
    > > 99kg.

  5. gescom

    gescom Guest

    I would say Gags is right in saying Giro are a better fit. According to
    cycling+ magazine Giro are less elliptical in design compared to others.
    (better for round heads ;) ). The Giro Pnuemo has a L sizing of 59-63cm.

    The best of the Met helmets I found for fit would be the Stradivarius
    and 5th Element, although these only have a max size of 61cm. I found
    the Ippogriffo to be really uncomfortable as it had padding that was
    tight on the forehead.

    The Lazer brand of helmets have an XL/XXL size listed at 64cm which I
    have not tried.

    A good website with helmets is
    http://www.cyclelink.com.au/category172_1.htm

    I guess you could always remove some of the padding to get a better fit.