Large bicycle helmets

Michael

Guest
Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are slightly too small, so I was
wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something
slightly larger.

Cheers Michael

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are slightly too small, so I was
> wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something
> slightly larger.
>
> Cheers Michael

Maybe you could try one of those plastic rainwater tank stores.........just kiddin.....I've got a
pretty big melon as well (59") and it took me ages to find a helmet that fit me. I ended up going
for a Giro from a bike shop in Church St (South Melbourne I think). I can't remember the name of the
shop or the actual model helmet but it is pretty well the top of the line mountain bike helmet (I am
too lazy to find the receipt or go out in the shed to check the model). My last three helmets have
been Giros as they seem to be a bit "deeper" than the Met helmets and some others that I tried (they
all felt like they were perched on the top of my head). I especially like Giro's "Rock Lock" system
at the back of the helmet that makes adjusting it to fit your scone pretty easy.

Anyway, good luck,

Gags.....who thinks his large head is just in proportion to his 195cm and 99kg.

I hope that's 59 cm and not inches GAGS... talk about swollen head ?? Jock "Gags"
<drgagnon@nospam_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi. I am searching for a large bicycle helmet. 62cm helmets are slightly too small, so I was
> > wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a brand/retailer where I can get something
> > slightly larger.
> >
> > Cheers Michael
>
> Maybe you could try one of those plastic rainwater tank
stores.........just
> kiddin.....I've got a pretty big melon as well (59") and it took me ages
> find a helmet that fit me. I ended up going for a Giro from a bike shop
in
> Church St (South Melbourne I think). I can't remember the name of the
shop
> or the actual model helmet but it is pretty well the top of the line mountain bike helmet (I am
> too lazy to find the receipt or go out in the shed to check the model). My last three helmets have
> been Giros as they seem to be a bit "deeper" than the Met helmets and some others that I
tried
> (they all felt like they were perched on the top of my head). I
especially
> like Giro's "Rock Lock" system at the back of the helmet that makes adjusting it to fit your scone
> pretty easy.
>
> Anyway, good luck,
>
> Gags.....who thinks his large head is just in proportion to his 195cm and 99kg.

I would say Gags is right in saying Giro are a better fit. According to cycling+ magazine Giro are less elliptical in design compared to others. (better for round heads ;) ). The Giro Pnuemo has a L sizing of 59-63cm.

The best of the Met helmets I found for fit would be the Stradivarius and 5th Element, although these only have a max size of 61cm. I found the Ippogriffo to be really uncomfortable as it had padding that was tight on the forehead.

The Lazer brand of helmets have an XL/XXL size listed at 64cm which I have not tried.

A good website with helmets is http://www.cyclelink.com.au/category172_1.htm

I guess you could always remove some of the padding to get a better fit.

Oops....I mean 59cm....hehehe.

Speaking of melon sizes....I used to know a bloke who was about 6'2" or so and about 95kg (big gym
head type) and he had a 51cm head......Looked way too small....like the bodybuilding cartoons....we
used to call him pinny (ie pin head).

Gags

news:[email protected]...