large bike shop in Aalst, Belgium

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Owens, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Mike Owens

    Mike Owens Guest

    A few years ago I was in the largest race oriented bike shop I had ever seen
    or imagined in Aalst, Belgium. Googling has not helped. Do any of the
    Belgium contingent know the name and/or address of this shop? Thanks.
    -Mike

    Tags:

  2. On 07-03-2006 13:22, in article [email protected], "Mike Owens"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A few years ago I was in the largest race oriented bike shop I had ever seen
    > or imagined in Aalst, Belgium. Googling has not helped. Do any of the
    > Belgium contingent know the name and/or address of this shop? Thanks.
    > -Mike

    This is surely the "Van Eyck Sport" Bikeshop.

    http://wwww.vaneycksports.be

    Van Eyck Sport
    Gentsesteenweg 89
    9300 Aalst
    Tel +32 53 78 12 78

    Koen

  3. On 03/07/2006 07:24 AM, in article C0334816.6D3A0%[email protected], "Koen

    That should be http://www.vaneycksport.be/

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  4. On 03/07/2006 07:42 AM, in article C032E9F9.3C8D0%[email protected],
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 03/07/2006 07:24 AM, in article C0334816.6D3A0%[email protected], "Koen
    > De Poorter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 07-03-2006 13:22, in article [email protected], "Mike Owens"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A few years ago I was in the largest race oriented bike shop I had ever seen
    >>> or imagined in Aalst, Belgium. Googling has not helped. Do any of the
    >>> Belgium contingent know the name and/or address of this shop? Thanks.
    >>> -Mike
    >>>

    >> This is surely the "Van Eyck Sport" Bikeshop.
    >>
    >> http://wwww.vaneycksports.be
    >>
    >> Van Eyck Sport
    >> Gentsesteenweg 89
    >> 9300 Aalst
    >> Tel +32 53 78 12 78
    >>
    >> Koen

    > That should be http://www.vaneycksport.be/

    Nope ... Got an error when trying to hit Koen's link the first couple of
    times, but Google led me astray.

    http://www.vaneycksports.be is the correct URL.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

  5. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Sure, Van Eyck a large assortment, but the service isn't always as it
    should be. I went to buy a 48 teeth chain ring for my dad. First of
    all, on a saterday afternoon you easily lose 30' until it's your turn
    to order.
    When i asked him about the chain ring, he gave me a look like how dare
    you waste my time with this stupid bagatelle.
    If you're going there to buy a €3000 Time frame they're glad to see
    you, but get out if you dare buying a small technical thing.
    OTOH the store is an ideal place to dream about those expensive bikes
    you'll never have. And it has an large choice in cycling clothing
    which is quite nice since my local dealer only sells XL or XXL sized
    jerseys.

    Kenny
    (for more info about my local dealer, contact me)

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Sure, Van Eyck a large assortment, but the service isn't always as it
    > should be. I went to buy a 48 teeth chain ring for my dad. First of
    > all, on a saterday afternoon you easily lose 30' until it's your turn
    > to order.
    > When i asked him about the chain ring, he gave me a look like how dare
    > you waste my time with this stupid bagatelle.
    > If you're going there to buy a €3000 Time frame they're glad to see
    > you, but get out if you dare buying a small technical thing.
    > OTOH the store is an ideal place to dream about those expensive bikes
    > you'll never have. And it has an large choice in cycling clothing
    > which is quite nice since my local dealer only sells XL or XXL sized
    > jerseys.

    Luc Van Den Hauwe in Melle (same road, about 15 km north of Van Eyck)
    is also good. Maybe a tiny bit more expensive and with a smaller range
    than Van Eyck, but good service.

    Jeff

  7. On 07-03-2006 14:52, in article
    [email protected], "Kenny"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When i asked him about the chain ring, he gave me a look like how dare
    > you waste my time with this stupid bagatelle.

    What do you expect when there's probably 20 people queuing up behind you.
    If you want a chat make sure you go on downtimes.

    I didn't buy my bike there as well but I know their prices are unbeaten if
    you know what you want.

    They sure have a lot of clothing but the pricing isn't that special compared
    to other shops.

    Koen

  8. On 07-03-2006 15:08, in article
    [email protected], "Jeff Jones"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luc Van Den Hauwe in Melle (same road, about 15 km north of Van Eyck)
    > is also good. Maybe a tiny bit more expensive and with a smaller range
    > than Van Eyck, but good service.

    While we're making publicity: my favorite is Sportivo Bikeshop in Bavikhove,
    owned by Lieven Malfait, ex-pro racer (Sean Kelly's Teammate for 11 years)
    with his mechanic George who worked for Mapei team for 6 years.
    He knows his prices but has top material and always ready to help you out.
    Once changed a fork for one of my Irish club members on the leasure Tour of
    Flanders' eve at 9 in the evening. (Fork broken by air transport)

    Koen

  9. Mike Owens

    Mike Owens Guest

    "Koen De Poorter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:C033532B.6D3C4%[email protected]
    > On 07-03-2006 14:52, in article
    > [email protected], "Kenny"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> When i asked him about the chain ring, he gave me a look like how dare
    >> you waste my time with this stupid bagatelle.

    > What do you expect when there's probably 20 people queuing up behind you.
    > If you want a chat make sure you go on downtimes.
    >
    > I didn't buy my bike there as well but I know their prices are unbeaten if
    > you know what you want.
    >
    > They sure have a lot of clothing but the pricing isn't that special
    > compared
    > to other shops.
    >
    > Koen

    Thanks to everyone. We were there on a weekday so there wasn't much of a
    crowd. We picked up a bunch of Clement Paris-Roubaix tubulars for 27 euros
    each. Best thing there were the steel Merckx's made for little kids (a
    grown up race bike miniaturized for an 8-10 year old) including tubulars
    that were certainly smaller than 650s.
    -Mike

  10. Jay S. Hill

    Jay S. Hill Guest

  11. Mike Owens wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone. We were there on a weekday so there wasn't much of a
    > crowd. We picked up a bunch of Clement Paris-Roubaix tubulars for 27 euros
    > each. Best thing there were the steel Merckx's made for little kids (a
    > grown up race bike miniaturized for an 8-10 year old) including tubulars
    > that were certainly smaller than 650s.

    Probably 24" tubular tires, there is such a thing. Or even smaller.
    I believe the 24" are also used on certain wheelchairs - racing
    wheelchairs maybe. I once saw blue, knobby, 24" tubulars at a
    swap meet (a regular swap meet, not a bike swap meet). Surely
    the next trick item for your favorite 9-year-old cyclocross racer.

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,

    > Mike Owens wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to everyone. We were there on a weekday so there wasn't much of a
    > > crowd. We picked up a bunch of Clement Paris-Roubaix tubulars for 27 euros
    > > each. Best thing there were the steel Merckx's made for little kids (a
    > > grown up race bike miniaturized for an 8-10 year old) including tubulars
    > > that were certainly smaller than 650s.

    > Probably 24" tubular tires, there is such a thing. Or even smaller.
    > I believe the 24" are also used on certain wheelchairs - racing
    > wheelchairs maybe. I once saw blue, knobby, 24" tubulars at a
    > swap meet (a regular swap meet, not a bike swap meet). Surely
    > the next trick item for your favorite 9-year-old cyclocross racer.

    There were sewups made for BMX bikes a few years ago, so you could find some
    in the 20" area. These may still be getting made, but I don't know. Oddly, one
    search result I got on this was a page of items for sale that had a mixed bag of
    bike parts and Slayer memorabilia.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Grandma Smith said a curious thing
    Boys must whistle, girls must sing

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Koen De Poorter wrote:
    > On 07-03-2006 14:52, in article
    > [email protected], "Kenny"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > When i asked him about the chain ring, he gave me a look like how dare
    > > you waste my time with this stupid bagatelle.

    > What do you expect when there's probably 20 people queuing up behind you.
    > If you want a chat make sure you go on downtimes.

    After 30' of queiung the last thing i wanted to do was chatting,
    believe me.