Large Marge Endomorph 3.7 Muni

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by SurlyDave, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    I finished this a few hours ago. It needs powdercoat. But, it's
    otherwise ready to go. I only have a 5 or 6 miles on it, and I'm a
    relative novice. So, a report of it's performance, from me, doesn't
    have much value at this point.

    The frame is fillet brazed .049" cromoly tubing and a steerer from a
    wrecked Surly 1x1 fork. The bearing holders are lightened steel shaft
    collars.

    I'm using the same heavy Surly Endomorph tire that George is riding.
    The production 60tpi tires will be up to 660 grams lighter. And, some
    creative machining removes 300+ grams from the Large Marge rim. I'm
    looking forward to riding it with less rotating mass, but I'm happy
    riding it as is. I'm biased, of course.

    | Attachment filename: endo with maguras.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/299575|

    SurlyDave - Surly MC
    SurlyDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9294

  2. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    Here's a pic of the frame.

    | Attachment filename: endo frame.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/299578|

    SurlyDave - Surly MC
    SurlyDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9294

  3. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    This pic just shows the clearance of the tire in the frame.

    | Attachment filename: clearance.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/299580|

    SurlyDave - Surly MC
    SurlyDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9294

  4. The Yang

    The Yang Guest

  5. Wow, that's a beast! Have you had any problems with hitting your legs
    on the crown of the frame?

    Well done.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

  6. The Yang wrote:
    > *I continue to be in awe of the girth of that tire. So is Large Marge
    > the new nickname? *

    I'm pretty sure Large Marge is the name of the rim.

    BTW, what size wheel is that? I'm assuming it's a 24" or 26", but it
    looks smaller - probably just an illusion because of the thickness of
    the tyre.

    --
    rob.northcott - OK as long as it's not too windy

  7. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    Yang,

    Large Marge is the trademarked name of our wide rim.

    Andrew,

    I just got back from a Jedi night ride near the Mississippi River. I
    wanted to check out some good dirt trails before they get overrun by
    fairweather hikers, today. It's supposed to be a beautiful day in
    Minneapolis, and it will be hard to navigate around the gawkers on some
    of the narrower trails. Of course, I can almost run right over them,
    now. Just kidding, stupid gawking fair weather hikers.

    I was more concerned about hitting my legs on the Magura brake than on
    the crown. This was my first ride using a brake, so I didn't know what
    to expect. I didn't hit the crown, and I didn't hit the slave cylinders
    of the brake. As for using a brake, I like it. I use it seldomly, but
    I see the merits of having one. It only adds 273 grams to the vehicle,
    and I'll probably use it more when I get more comfortable with the
    modulation.

    I ran 12 psi in the tire. That seemed like a good pressure for the
    combination of road and trails I was on.

    Dave

    --
    SurlyDave - Surly MC
    SurlyDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9294

  8. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

  9. Thanks Dave. It's funny, in the photo it looks almost like a 20" trials
    wheel with tiny pedals and saddle! The thickness of the tyre seems to
    confuse the brain into thinking it must be a smaller wheel (well mine
    anyway :p )

    --
    rob.northcott - OK as long as it's not too windy

  10. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

  11. loosejello

    loosejello Guest

  12. gbarnes

    gbarnes Guest

  13. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    That is a monster. I am curious how it will be for bombing down rocky
    slopes. The shock absortion of the tire should be great, but I wonder
    if rebound will be a problem.

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  14. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  15. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I wonder if the Endomorph will be faster than a 29er for fast XC racing
    on singletrack? The wheel diameter will be very similar. The big fat
    Endomorph will be able to plow over any rocks or roots at full speed.
    The fat tire will also act as a suspension so the rider will be able to
    stay in the saddle more which saves energy and allows you to keep a
    faster cadence. With the right trail conditions the Endomorph could
    possibly be faster.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

  16. SurlyDave wrote:
    > *Andrew,
    >
    > I just got back from a Jedi night ride near the Mississippi River. I
    > wanted to check out some good dirt trails before they get overrun by
    > fairweather hikers, today. It's supposed to be a beautiful day in
    > Minneapolis, and it will be hard to navigate around the gawkers on
    > some of the narrower trails. Of course, I can almost run right over
    > them, now. Just kidding, stupid gawking fair weather hikers.
    >
    > I was more concerned about hitting my legs on the Magura brake than on
    > the crown. This was my first ride using a brake, so I didn't know
    > what to expect. I didn't hit the crown, and I didn't hit the slave
    > cylinders of the brake. As for using a brake, I like it. I use it
    > seldomly, but I see the merits of having one. It only adds 273 grams
    > to the vehicle, and I'll probably use it more when I get more
    > comfortable with the modulation.
    >
    > I ran 12 psi in the tire. That seemed like a good pressure for the
    > combination of road and trails I was on.
    >
    > Dave *

    Thanks for that. I like the look of that braided cross-over cable. I'm
    think I'm going to go all-braided for my muni upgrade. Do you know if
    the outer diameter of it will fit in those little clips you get on some
    bike frames (that you clip the brake cables into)? I'm thinking of
    either running some of them on my new frame or sending the brake cable
    through the frame itself for a portion of its journey up to the lever
    (my framebuilder's idea). It's nice to know that the brake setup is
    only 273g too...don't drink that 273mL drink before a ride and they make
    no difference!

    "Of course, I can almost run right over them, now."
    - Hahaha. You should try toad hunting on it. :)

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

  17. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    vivalargo wrote:
    > *Yo,
    >
    > Ain't the 24 inch LG rime due out in June? Any update on that?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > JL *

    60% of the rims, from the original production run, were rejected. The
    factory is having a hard time rolling that fat extrusion into a 24"
    hoop. They had to extrude more rim stock to finish the 400 piece order
    of 24" rims. That's why there has been such a delay. Late May/early
    June delivery is what were shooting for.

    Dave

    --
    SurlyDave - Surly MC
    SurlyDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9294

  18. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

  19. SurlyDave

    SurlyDave Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *Thanks for that. I like the look of that braided cross-over cable.
    > I'm think I'm going to go all-braided for my muni upgrade. Do you
    > know if the outer diameter of it will fit in those little clips you
    > get on some bike frames (that you clip the brake cables into)? *

    I really don't know. I've never used those clips. Our Surly cable
    housing guides use zip ties to hold the housing in place.

    The o.d. of the braided line is 5.5 - 6 mm. I'm not sure how roomy
    those clips are.

    --

  20. SurlyDave wrote:
    > *Our Surly cable housing guides use zip ties to hold the housing in
    > place. *

    Sounds like that may be my best bet if I can track them down (the
    'housing guides', not the zip ties :)).

    Andrew