Large Marge Endomorph 3.7 Muni

So I have all the pieces together for my Large Marge Muni, but I didn't
order spokes, I had assumed whatever the local bike shop had on the
shelf would be enough.

My friend at the LBS said that their off the shelf spokes may not be
strong enough and he could order better spokes from a friend of his who
knows more, but I'd like to know what the experts here think.

Are stock spokes tough enough for a Large Marge rim on a Profile hub?
Expected use is downhill, uphill, crosshill, well... you get the idea.

Is it worth the money (and the teeth grinding four days longer waiting
period) to order better spokes?

Thanks for any help,

--
shapr - 40 miles south of the Arctic Circle

Add your knowledge to the 'Unicyclopedia'
(http://www.unicyclopedia.org/) Brittanica ! Even if you're not British!
shapr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7727

I bought DT Swiss spokes from Chain Reaction Cycles, probably some of
the strongest you can get. I'm not sure which ones ur LBS stocks
(obviously) but if a spoke snaps you'll be gutted for not waiting.
You've got the strongest Hub, Frame & Rim, take the time & get the
best.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose - HA! Sod You Gilby, I HAVE DAMMIT!

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

I've been hunting around on t'internet (the UK part of it, mind!)

I found a distribution company that stocks the large marge rim and says
its rrp is £99.99 ($175.705 USD) but they don't sell to customers.

You need to find a bike shop that can order from these people. The shop
will likely add their cut onto the price of the rim.

They only have the 26" version mind, in normal and XC versions, the XC
having bits cut out of the inside of the rim to save weight.

http://tinyurl.com/bsyaq

Remember tho, you can't order from these people! But they do have an
"international dealer finder". (At the bottom of the uk dealer finder
map.)

(The image is from their website and its the XC rim.)

T.

| Attachment filename: rmsu-largemxc.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/335097|

DarkTom - steady...

the mind is strong and the flesh is getting stronger.
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

I ordered my 36 Hole DH Large-Marge Rim from www.speedgoat.com. Cheap,
international delivery and in all (after shipping) was £30 cheaper than
even the UK distributor. I think I'll be using them to get hold of my
Endo Tyre when its finally released.

Loose

--
Loosemoose - HA! Sod You Gilby, I HAVE DAMMIT!

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

I got my Endomorph tire yesterday! It sure is bouncy.... I'm loving it!
Can't wait to get some trail time on it.

Mojoe

|Filename: morph.jpg |

Mojoe

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

My Dad used to beat me with his PC.
http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=55
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

right on , i hope the 24" version comes out somtime sooner than later.

--
jagur

The liver is evil and must be punished...
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

I know that they are technically not available yet, but how muxh would
one go for. I also was wondering if you (dumb question coming up)
braze on the pieces of the frame, because, in my mind, I don't need
that frame with the extra room on top for the tire. I don't mean
having clearance, I mean that section where it widens. I could buy
some sort of strong metal rods, cut them to size at home depot. Then I
would make my crown getting a somewhat thick piece of super strong
metal, then cutting it to size, and somehow attatch all the pieces,
either with brazing or, even saudering, if that is not incredibly weak.
I think I would cut it to fit bearing holders that could be purchased
from UDC and buy a seat post and everything. Would this work, and do
you braze or what?

--
unign
unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

So you're saying you're going to make your own frame instead? This isn't
atall unusual, soldering will not work incidentally but brazing might
well do the job, although it could crack eventually, it's not as strong
as welding. I suggest you find somewhere slightly more industry driven
than home depot, there will probably be a metal stockist or wholesaler
in your local area who can sell you the exact stuff you need rather
than you trying to patch a frame together from what you can find on the
shelves. Actually if you're going to braze and have the available
equipment then why not weld? You just need to turn up the gas pressures
slightly and get some copper coated steel spelter, it would give a much
better final product in the long run.

--
kington99

Dave

I've had my LM 24 rim for nearly a month and find that it widens a Duro
or Arrow Racing 24 X 3 tire way out there. A 24 X 3 Gaz is TOO wide on
a LM, and the rig becomes tractoresque and not very nimble. So for my
kind of Muniing, the LM is a step up for various reasons, but running
an even bigger tire than a standard 24 X 3 incher is unnecessary.
Perhaps the Endomorph will work brilliantly on snow and sand, but on
step, rocky terrain, it might be too much tire.

And I might be totally wrong about this . . .

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

OK, I'll weld it, I won't do it myself but I will attempt to find an
affordable place that can do it for me, however, I think I could find
some pretty nice metal at home depot. I think it would be extremely
cool to have a large marge, and after looking up how much the frame
costs, I definitely will build my own.

--
unign
unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

I worked out prices and if I were to make the frame myself and buy the
rim, tire, tube, seat post, and a KH seat, it would come to 293 dollars
(figuring that metal and welding costs 20) which is a small price to
pay, I'll just wait until December which is when the money comes
pouring in.

--

Mojoe Wrote:
> I got my Endomorph tire yesterday! It sure is bouncy.... I'm loving it!
> Can't wait to get some trail time on it. oh yeah, i forgot.....how much lighter is it than your Gazz? i read the

Endo is way lighter.

how thick are the side walls?

--

jagur Wrote:
> oh yeah, i forgot.....how much lighter is it than your Gazz? i read the
> Endo is way lighter.
>
> how thick are the side walls?

From the Surly website.... "60 tpi (threads per inch) black skinwall
(1260grams)"

Can't remember the weight of the Gazz, but it's problably not that much
difference.

Joe

--
Mojoe

9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride...
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

how about the side walls are the thick like DH tyres?

--

Mojoe wrote:
> From the Surly website.... "60 tpi (threads per inch) black skinwall
> (1260grams)"
>
> Can't remember the weight of the Gazz, but it's problably not that much
> difference.
>
> Joe

I don't recall the source (maybe me?), but I have an excel file listing
the 26x3 Gazz at 1636 grams.

--
gbarnes

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

jagur wrote:
> how about the side walls, are they thick like DH tyres?

I've got the blackwall tire, and the sidewalls feel thinner that the
Gazz. I beleive the tanwall tire has thicker sidewalls. I really
haven't got a chance to ride it yet, besides hopping around the yard.

Joe

--
Mojoe

9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride...