Large Marge Muni

Mojoe

Guest
See the photos and be amazed:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albux14

Dave from Surly Bikes, http://www.surlybikes.com/

was nice enough to lend me a Large Marge prototype rim built
into a wheel for me to test out. I just got it together and
I still can't beleive how wide it is.

I'll tell more as I get a chance to ride it.

Mojoe http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Mojoe wrote:
> *Dave from Surly Bikes, http://www.surlybikes.com/ was
> nice enough to lend me a Large Marge prototype rim built
> into a wheel for me to test out*
i remember you saying you were going to get one during my
search for a wide 29er rim,glad to see you finally got one
running.thats fat!

--
forget_your_life - #3649 plus_your_life

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/bunnyjumping.gif]
dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

andrew_carter wrote:
> *So they aren't available in a 24"?
>
> Andrew *

The 26 inch rim won't be in production for another 3 months
I think. They'll probably bring out a 24 inch hoop later,
but I think there is a bigger market for the 26, so thay
want to get that out first.

Also, the production model will be anodized black and have
machined braking surfaces.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

I think mine should be here either today, or tomarrow. All
we have for tires in 26" right now is a kollosal (or
something) 2.6. Eventually we might be getting something
larger, but I wont raelly be able to start testing until at
least sunday. Looks pretty nice, and I imagine the
traction'd be pretty decent. More Later.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Wow. That is one fat rim. Kind of like the Snow Cat rim
George Peck used to have, but that one was single-walled,
and not intended for what we
do.

Did you know Large Marge used to be the world's biggest
unicycle? I can't remember the wheel size but I think it was
66". It was built by Jim Moore and ridden by Steve Gordon in
the 80s. The previous biggest wheel was 63.5" by Goran
Lundstrom (picture below). I rode that one.

Jim and Steve later created Intense Hortense (or Immense
Hortense?), a 73" wheel. I believe Sem Abrahams now owns
that one. I have a picture somewhere of him riding it with
big blocks on the pedals.

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: 63inch.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203133| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

Hmm, that doesn't look like large marge to me :(

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: large-marge-animated.gif |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203163| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

It's not Large Marge, it's the cycle described before the
part that says (picture below). That picture was taken in
1983, which may have been before that Large Marge was built.

I found that picture of Sem on Immense (Intense) Hortense.
That's attached here. Not Large Marge. :)

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: mvc-002s.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203211| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--

Sofa wrote:
> *Hmm, that doesn't look like large marge to me :( *

I was a huge Pee Wee fan as a kid, but I remember having
nightmares for weeks after seeing Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
The two scariest scenes for me were 1. The animatronic
clown shot from a low angle when Pee Wee first lost his
bike, and 2. The Large Marge claymation above which I had
managed to repress until you so savagely unlocked it from
my inner psyche just now. Thanks. Looks like it's back to
counselling for me:(

"Just tell 'em....LARGE MARGE sent ya! (cackle cackle)

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Excellent project and pics, Mojoe!

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

I've had the Large Marge out for one ride so far. The following is a
short review that I sent to Surly on the rim's performance::::::

----------"I took the Marge out for an hour ride at Floyd
yesterday after school. I'm really sold on it. The only
downside is that if I mount brakes on it, they may stick out
too far, but I won't know if this will be a problem until I
try it. When I get some free time, I'll weld on a set of
Magura mounts and try my Maguras on it.

I was running the air pressure real low so that the tire
flattened out wider than the rim when I was riding. I'm not
sure of the pressure, but I can easily press my thumb into
the tire. I could never run this low on an Alex DX32 rim. I
thought the low pressure and medium volume rim would be
trouble when hopping onto logs and rolling over roots, but
the extra width of the rim makes the footprint bigger and
spreads out the weight more. I only smacked the rim twice;
once rolling over a tree branch hard and another time on a
rock on rocky downhill. Traction is Off-The-Wall with this
thing!!! It feels like your riding a 3 inch tire. I was
going down a lot of the really loose, sketchy hills at Floyd
and I couldn't get the tire to break loose once. The hills
were really churned up from recent horse traffic and have
lots of root drop-offs on them. Also, on the off camber
stuff that usually gives me trouble, the tire remained
stable and didn't try to turn into the hill. Normally, the
tire wants to roll of the rim on off-camber stuff, unless
you have the pressure jacked way up. Cornering on dirt feels
rock solid too, but cornering on pavement is harder. Next
time out, I'm going to up the tire pressure a little bit and
that may improve cornering on cement.

One more thing; I don't think the large Marge feels heavy at
all. In fact, it feels responsive and accelerates quickly;
of course this may change when I switch to Gazz. The
MegaBlaster tire is only around 700 grams, so it's light for
its size. The Gazz, though heavy, will be able to bomb over
anything without worry of smacking the rim."--------

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the testing.
Max Dingemans will be testing one too, and I'm sure He'll be
able add comments of his own. I'll bring it along on the
muni ride at Regionals on may 9th, if anyone going to that
wants to give it a try.

later.... Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

I can't decide if I wan t this rim yet. It seems almost
*too* wide. With the flat shape of the gazz, I imagine on
this rim it'll go concave :eek: Also, do we really need
wider rims? Eventually it gets too wide and you have a
constant knee knocker. It seems like a 3.0 is a good
compromise, but a 3.0 on a 2.5 rim is massive.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?