Large Marge Muni

Dirtsurfer wrote:
> *did you put it on a scale before building? *

Mine was built when Surly sent it to me. The production
model will come in a 36 hole and a 32 hole downhill version
ans a 32 hole crosscountry version. The crosscountry version
will have some of the material on the inner part of the rim
drilled out. The prototypes that Max and I have are not
drilled out.

I didn't weigh mine, but it feels light to me. I think that
tire choice may effect weight more than the rim itself. i
have a Panaracer MegaBlaster 2.5 on mine, which I think
weighs about 700 grams. The unicycle feels light and
responsive. In contrast, I have a WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 DH on
my Alex rimmed muni. this tire is very heavy and the muni
feels dead and sluggish. On the Alex rim, both tires are the
same width, but the MotoRaptor is actually taller. I really
hate the feel of the MotoRaptor. I can't wait to get a Gazz
for the Large Marge, so I can return the MegaBlaster to the
Alex rimmed muni.

I'll try to get a gazz in the next couple weeks to try out
on the Marge.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

I put a 3 inch Gazz on the Marge today. I have some pics of it on page
two of the Marge gallery:

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albux14?&page=2

I've yet to get it out in the dirt, but it feels great
bombing across my rough yard. Tire clearance is very minimal
on my GB4 frame. I'll try to get it out sometime this
weekend and write up some comments.

Mojoe

--

sockmonster wrote:
> *what kind of frame fo you have on that thing? *

The frame is a GB4 29er frame.

I took it out for a good ride this afternoon. The 26x3 inch
Gazz is very heavy. I had more trouble starting, stopping,
and making sharp turns, compared to when I was using the
Panaracer MegaBlaster 2.5. I also had more trouble with
downhills, but I attribute that to the shorter cranks I'm
now using. On a posative note; I liked the increased
momentum gained by having the extra weight of a heavy tire.
With the 150mm cranks, I was able to get it going pretty
fast and it was easier to maintain that speed. The Gazz
rolls straight over imperfections in the trail. This trail
is pretty rough since it gets used by horses a lot. The
increased momentum allowed me to just bomb over small logs
in the trail without slowing down. It would have been hard
to slow it down fast anyway.

For comparison, I brought out my other 26 inch muni with the
MegaBlaster on an Alex DX32 rim and the same 150mm cranks.
After ridign the Gazz on a super wide rim, the Alex rimmed
muni felt squirmy on the rough trail. Even with the brake on
this muni, rocky downhills felt pretty sketchy compared to
the Large Marge muni. Next project is to weld some Magura
bosses onto the marge muni.

I'm still not sure if I like the Gazz or the MegaBlaster
better on the LM rim. They both have pros and cons. The
MegaBlaster is light and responsive, but dosen't have as
much volume as the Gazz. Plus, it dosen't have that "Magic
Carpet Ride" at speed.

The Gazz is really heavy, slow to accelerate, and hard to
turn fast. However, it really shines on straight paths and
when bombing over logs. Downfalls include clearance issues,
which I can live with or get a wider frame, plus the fact
that when I mount a brake, they will stick out further than
normal. This may or may not be a problem.

Time will tell... I'll keep ya posted.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Ok, so today I went for my first ride. First off, It's
currently in a Bedford Unicycles 28" frame, and the tire
clearance is small enough that largish rocks that get stuck
in the tire could lock the wheel up. It happened last night
as I was walking it home (ok, so I took a really short ride
on pavement and a crank came loose).

right now It's laced on a suzue 48º hub. With a kenda 2.6
kenetics tire. Cheap aluminum alloy cranks, at 165 mm.
Absolutely easy to bend. Biggest I'v done was 18", and that
was a nice smooth rollout. So I personally wont be testing
the stregth issues as much as I'd like to be yet. oh well.

Anyways, it was a great day for a ride. 80 and sunny and the
trail was quite dry. Some large patches of sandy. No problem
at all. I only had one minor traction issue, even when
trying to slow down, or even lock up going down a
steepish/sandy hill. and it involved me sliding about 4
inches. it was great. Once I got the pressure right (it was
too high initially) it was great, even on pavement. still
rode nice and straight. almost just like my 24" intense 3.0
FRO tire. At that point, it rode great in pretty much all
cases that I tested, except riding up a curb without priorly
lining it up. And then, it would rim. fairly easily. Rigt
now however, im noticing that this review isnt actually very
technically descriptive, and will continue more later.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

[...]

Tonight it was raining. My ankle kinda hurt, it was getting
dark, and I felt it was the perfect time for another test
ride. It's been raining for a few hours. As most of dont yet
know, my neighborhood is pretty hill filled. Which also
makes it a mud trap. So without changing the tire pressue,
and still running the Kenda 2.6, I set out in search of
thick mud. Initially I found a couple downhills of mild
decent that had a reletively thin layer of mud (up to an ich
or so) and set to work Switchbacking down the slippery
spots. Nothing. Absolutely no tire slippage was noticeable.
I still felt the wheel rode great on pavement, with the only
problem occuring when hitting a curb wrong (the local ones
are about 5 inches) and rimming pretty easily. Next I found
a large mud patch at a local park. If I estimated the size
right, it's about 100 meters across. The first 50 meters or
so I barely had any problems at all. the next 30-40 meters I
had a bit of trouble, but still plowed through it pretty
well. Right at the end I started getting caked with mud, to
a point were I started to spin out, and finally fell off. I
continued to be amazed with the mud sheding, traction
retaining abilities of the wheel. I figured that if I
lowered the pressure even further, It would have further
improved traction. But... I still had to ride home, so I
didnt want to risk it.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the performence. I'll try
to keep you posted.

-Max

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

In relation to previously mentioned ride:

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: img_2299.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/205022| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Max,

The picture looks great. That rim really widens the tire out
dosen't it? I measured mine with the 26x3 inch gazz and the
it measured 3 1/8 inches. It makes my 2.5 tire about as wide
as the Gazz on an Alex DX32 rim.

Mojoe

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: gazzilla_marge2.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/205063| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

that rim is nice. i cant wait until they make a 24" version.
will they be double/triple walled and stronger to withstand
bigger drops than 18"? if i could take this thing out for
some 4 footers and heavy MUni, it could be a serious upgrade
over the Alex DX32 Rim.

--
shadowuni - Level 5.5 Unicyclist

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
"Freeze, Mother Stickers! This is a F**k up!" - Stupid Criminal

"unless I'm catastrophically off-balance, in which I'll have to hop to
stay up." - gerblefranklin
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

shadowuni wrote:
> * i cant wait until they make a 24" version. will they be
> double/triple walled and stronger to withstand bigger
> drops than 18"? *

I beleive that are planning on making a 24 inch version in
the future, but wanted to get the 26 incher out in
production first, since it's a bigger market. Here is a
picture that shows a cut-away view of the rim.

Mojoe

| Attachment filename: parts_prodlargerim.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/205101| +-------------------------------------------------------