Large spoke tension drop with inflated tire

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:40:21 -0000, Chalo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Michael Press wrote:
>>
>> I remain convinced that a tire that
>> absorbs road shock does so in proportion
>> to its rolling resistance. If there was
>> a free lunch, all of us would be riding
>> fast yet compliant tires.

>I ride frequently with my wife, who inevitably takes the same bike, a
>road bike with 700x28 Continental Ultra Sports. She has predictable
>riding habits, and she never pedals on even the slightest downhill
>stretch. I ride any of several bikes, so by synching my speed with
>hers, then coasting and judging my overtaking speed, I can compare the
>rolling qualities of my different tires. (There is no obvious
>difference in aerodynamics or riding position between most of my
>bikes, and the speeds at issue are not high enough for aerodynamics to
>be an overwhelming factor anyway.)
>
>Repeated observations among my own bikes show that my Schwalbe Big
>Apple 700x60 tires at 35psi outcoast my 700x35 Panaracer Paselas at
>80psi. I was quite surprised by this, but after several tries I have
>not been able to determine otherwise. The big tires certainly _feel_
>slower, though, in the way they handle and respond to bursts of
>power.
>
>Chalo

Dear Chalo,

The results of formal coasting contests in the late 1890's suggest
that more may be going on than we think nowadays. Here's an example
from the free New York Times archive for 1898:

"It is a popular idea that in a coasting contest, other things being
equal, the heaviest man should win. A coasting match took place in
Hartford recently at which this theory was entirely upset. The course
was short, and the grade at the beginning light. One rider weighed 190
pounds and the other was 60 pounds lighter. In the three trials both
men used the same wheels under almost identical conditions. In the
first tiral the lightweight coasted 125 feet, covering the first 100
feet in ten seconds, while the heavier rider was six seconds longer in
going 100 feet, and his distance was 20 feet less. The second trial,
with different equipment, resulted favorably to the heavy man, who
beat his opponent half a second in 100 feet, and was only beaten by
one foot in distance. In the thid trial the spiderwiehgt was again
victorious in time and distance. Both men were supposed to be equally
skilled coasters, and by the rules under which the contest was run
neither could avail himself of any movement to add to his distance."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A0CEFDB1438E433A25755C1A9669D94699ED7CF

Here's a long article on coasting matches from "Outing" magazine in
1898, with some pictures of the tucks used:

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_31/outXXXI06/outXXXI06n.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Oct 6, 7:16 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On 2007-10-06, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [...]

> > > I will have to take your word for it.
> > > I remain convinced that a tire that
> > > absorbs road shock does so in proportion
> > > to its rolling resistance.

> > Why though? They lose energy because of the casing flexing and producing
> > heat. If you can make the casing supple yet inelastic then you should
> > expect to lose less energy (at a given pressure and width).

> > For example a very thin casing would likely be better than a thick one
> > for RR, although not for puncture resistance.

> > > If there was a free lunch, all of us would
> > > be riding fast yet compliant tires.

> It is an uphill fight against physics with fat(ter) tires.
> The larger the radius, the more hoop stress, the stronger
> must be the side walls. Stronger side walls mean
> less flexible side walls.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Again, your thinking is much too simplistic. Stating that "the more
hoop stress, the stronger must be the side walls. Stronger side walls
mean less flexible side walls" doesn't matter a whit unless the
difference is enough to significantly affect rolling resistance andt
tire manufacturers actually use different sidewalls on tires of
various widths. I'm positive that many manufacturers use the same
sidewall on tires of different widths.

Real world experience and testing that takes tires out of a lab and
off perfectly smooth steel drums repeatedly shows that well made wide
tires are not significantly slower than narrow tires.

Road tests of the Michelin Pro2 Race in 21, 23.5, and 25.5mm (actual
widths) show the wider tire to be fastest. The Clement Del Mondo
Tubular (28mm) tested significantly faster than the Clement Criterium
(21mm). The comfortable Mitsuboshi Trimlines (37mm wide and tested at
55psi) were also faster (though not by a significant margin that the
Clement 21mm tubular and only a hair slower (again, not by a
significat margin) than the Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23mm tire. The
narrow tires were tested at 105 psi.

On 2007-10-07, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> It is an uphill fight against physics with fat(ter) tires.
> The larger the radius, the more hoop stress, the stronger
> must be the side walls. Stronger side walls mean
> less flexible side walls.

Yes more hoop stress, but that's why fatter tyres are rated for lower
pressures. But they also don't need as much pressure as thin ones for
the same RR.

So it's not clear how it all works out. Fat, thin-walled, low-pressure
might have same RR and be more comfortable than thin, thin-walled,
high-pressure.

And stronger only means less flexible if you assume the same material
just made thicker. But in the interests of tackling one thing at a time,
OK.

Anthony King writes:

>>> Why though? They lose energy because of the casing flexing and
>>> producing heat. If you can make the casing supple yet inelastic
>>> then you should expect to lose less energy (at a given pressure
>>> and width).

>>> For example a very thin casing would likely be better than a thick
>>> one for RR, although not for puncture resistance.

>> It is an uphill fight against physics with fat(ter) tires. The
>> larger the radius, the more hoop stress, the stronger must be the
>> side walls. Stronger side walls mean less flexible side walls.

> Again, your thinking is much too simplistic. Stating that "the more
> hoop stress, the stronger must be the side walls. Stronger side
> walls mean less flexible side walls" doesn't matter a whit unless
> the difference is enough to significantly affect rolling resistance
> and tire manufacturers actually use different sidewalls on tires of
> various widths. I'm positive that many manufacturers use the same
> sidewall on tires of different widths.

> Real world experience and testing that takes tires out of a lab and
> off perfectly smooth steel drums repeatedly shows that well made
> wide tires are not significantly slower than narrow tires.

> Road tests of the Michelin Pro2 Race in 21, 23.5, and 25.5mm (actual
> widths) show the wider tire to be fastest. The Clement Del Mondo
> Tubular (28mm) tested significantly faster than the Clement
> Criterium (21mm). The comfortable Mitsuboshi Trimlines (37mm wide
> and tested at 55psi) were also faster (though not by a significant
> margin that the Clement 21mm tubular and only a hair slower (again,
> not by a significant margin) than the Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23mm
> tire. The narrow tires were tested at 105 psi.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance-tubular.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rim-support.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance.html

Rim forces that tend to spread the beads apart are dependent on casing
angle with which the tire departs from the rim and inflation pressure.
Tire blow-off from the rim is dependent on casing angle and bead
inside spacing that bot furnish separating force.

Jobst Brandt

Ben C? writes:

>> It is an uphill fight against physics with fat(ter) tires. The
>> larger the radius, the more hoop stress, the stronger must be the
>> side walls. Stronger side walls mean less flexible side walls.

> Yes more hoop stress, but that's why fatter tyres are rated for
> lower pressures. But they also don't need as much pressure as thin
> ones for the same RR.

That is only so if the casing and tread rubber are similarly pliable
(tread thickness).

> So it's not clear how it all works out. Fat, thin-walled,
> low-pressure might have same RR and be more comfortable than thin,
> thin-walled, high-pressure.

It arises from the amount of flexing the tread, casing and inner tube
make with road contact. They all have hysteresis, a quality by which
rebound is not the same as compression force.

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hysteresis

> And stronger only means less flexible if you assume the same
> material just made thicker. But in the interests of tackling one
> thing at a time, OK.

"Stronger" can also be achieved by using better materials, such as
rayon or silk casing cords. However, most (but not all) fatter tires
also have thicker tread and sidewall protection.

Jobst Brandt

In article
<[email protected]>,
Anthony King <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 7:16 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > On 2007-10-06, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > [...]

> > > Why though? They lose energy because of the casing flexing and producing
> > > heat. If you can make the casing supple yet inelastic then you should
> > > expect to lose less energy (at a given pressure and width).

> > > For example a very thin casing would likely be better than a thick one
> > > for RR, although not for puncture resistance.

> > It is an uphill fight against physics with fat(ter) tires.
> > The larger the radius, the more hoop stress, the stronger
> > must be the side walls. Stronger side walls mean
> > less flexible side walls.

> Again, your thinking is much too simplistic. Stating that "the more
> hoop stress, the stronger must be the side walls. Stronger side walls
> mean less flexible side walls" doesn't matter a whit unless the
> difference is enough to significantly affect rolling resistance andt
> tire manufacturers actually use different sidewalls on tires of
> various widths. I'm positive that many manufacturers use the same
> sidewall on tires of different widths.

Are you? Quote some.

The Avocet Fasgrip has 127 tpi side walls on 23-25 mm tires;
67 tpi side walls on 28-32 mm tires.

> Real world experience and testing that takes tires out of a lab and
> off perfectly smooth steel drums repeatedly shows that well made wide
> tires are not significantly slower than narrow tires.

My limited real world experience is otherwise.

> Road tests of the Michelin Pro2 Race in 21, 23.5, and 25.5mm (actual
> widths) show the wider tire to be fastest.

Not that I know of.

> The Clement Del Mondo
> Tubular (28mm) tested significantly faster than the Clement Criterium
> (21mm). The comfortable Mitsuboshi Trimlines (37mm wide and tested at
> 55psi) were also faster (though not by a significant margin that the
> Clement 21mm tubular and only a hair slower (again, not by a
> significat margin) than the Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23mm tire. The
> narrow tires were tested at 105 psi.

Fascinating.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press of Possum Lodge wrote:
> The Avocet Fasgrip has 127 tpi side walls on 23-25 mm tires;
> 67 tpi side walls on 28-32 mm tires.

And 67-tpi on my 44 mm wide Avocet tires.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.