Largest cog for 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Noel Llopis, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a double
    chainring and a 12-25 cogset.

    Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively,
    what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-
    over gear?

    Thanks.

    --Noel

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    My wife has the exact same model derailleur and it copes fine with a 13-30 cassette and 53-39
    chainrings.

    Nick

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Noel Llopis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a double
    > chainring and a 12-25 cogset.
    >
    > Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively,
    > what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-
    > over gear?

    30 will work, but you'll need a longer chain. That's probably as big as you can go.

    Sheldon "Using My Sister's Computer" Brown

  4. noel-<< I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a
    double chainring and a 12-25 cogset. >><BR><BR> << Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could
    use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively, what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-
    teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-over gear? >><BR><BR>

    yes, done it as has Sehldon.

  5. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    Yesterday I went to my LBS and bought a cheap 11-30 cassette (no cheap 13-30s to be had anywhere). I
    was afraid that the large difference in teeth would interfere with the operation of the rear
    derailleur, but I could always take it back.

    To my surprise, it works like a charm. At first the large-large combination wouldn't even go in, but
    as soon as I put a chain of the correct length, everything worked like a charm. I didn't even have
    to mess with the B screw (the rear derailleur always seems to be far from the cogs).

    The chain is a bit slack on the small-small combination, but that's not really a big deal for me.

    Many thanks again to all those who replied to my earlier post.

    --Noel