Largest cog for 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Noel Llopis, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Llopis

Noel Llopis Guest

I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a double
    chainring and a 12-25 cogset.

Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively,
    what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-
    over gear?

Thanks.

--Noel

Tags:

2. Nick Payne

Nick Payne Guest

My wife has the exact same model derailleur and it copes fine with a 13-30 cassette and 53-39
    chainrings.

Nick

"Noel Llopis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a double
    > chainring and a 12-25 cogset.
    >
    > Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could use with that
    derailleur?
    > Or, alternatively, what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-teeth cog work as long as
    > I avoid a cross-over gear?

3. Noel Llopis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a double
    > chainring and a 12-25 cogset.
    >
    > Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively,
    > what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-
    > over gear?

30 will work, but you'll need a longer chain. That's probably as big as you can go.

Sheldon "Using My Sister's Computer" Brown

4. noel-<< I have a 1997 Shimano 600 rear derailleur (RD-6401 VA) on a cross bike equipped with a
    double chainring and a 12-25 cogset. >><BR><BR> << Does anybody know what is the largest cog I could
    use with that derailleur? Or, alternatively, what I really want to know is would a 28 or even a 30-
    teeth cog work as long as I avoid a cross-over gear? >><BR><BR>

yes, done it as has Sehldon.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

5. Noel Llopis

Noel Llopis Guest

Yesterday I went to my LBS and bought a cheap 11-30 cassette (no cheap 13-30s to be had anywhere). I
    was afraid that the large difference in teeth would interfere with the operation of the rear
    derailleur, but I could always take it back.

To my surprise, it works like a charm. At first the large-large combination wouldn't even go in, but
    as soon as I put a chain of the correct length, everything worked like a charm. I didn't even have
    to mess with the B screw (the rear derailleur always seems to be far from the cogs).

The chain is a bit slack on the small-small combination, but that's not really a big deal for me.

Many thanks again to all those who replied to my earlier post.

--Noel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.