Largest frame available? (plus a couple of other questions)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pawn707, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Pawn707

    Pawn707 Guest

    First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of transportation
    whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility. But I do have some
    questions:

    I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?

    Also, I'm not interested in crazy rock-hopping for my commmuter right now so lightness, etc. aren't
    really so much a factor right now...however I DO want quality moving parts to say the least (I have
    some substantial hills that I'd like to take with confidence). Right now it's all stock except for a
    spindle I had replaced a while ago. Would you all recommend any sort of replacement gear system,
    brand, etc.? Something that can take a beating?

    I would like to stress that I'm trying to go barebones here while really focusing on the stuff that
    are of a safety nature, fundamental functionality, etc. In other words I don't need the latest and
    greatest hi-tech frame with space age tires--I'm going on flatground here, running errands, etc. I
    understand my Giant Rincon isn't the exactly a high-end ride. However I want to make it as road
    worthy as possible, something I can depend on.

    Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!

    Tags:

  2. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    [email protected] (Pawn707) wrote:
    > First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    > driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of
    > transportation whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility.
    > But I do have some questions:
    >
    > I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    > think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?
    > Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!

    Pawn, I'm posting the pertinent part of your message to alt.support.tall, where they regularly
    discuss bike frames, footwear, car legroom, and other concerns of the big 'n' tall.

    --Karen M. Hi, Ed!

  3. Lyle Meier

    Lyle Meier Guest

    Bicycles can be ordered custom made with any frame available. Of course this is a bit more expensive
    than a stock bike, and traditionally these bikes tend to have top of the line parts. Go to a better
    bike store (check with a local bike club racing or touring and they can probably tell you which
    shops are tops) A good shop will measure you and you can get a bike frame to fit any frame. Note
    that typically the mountain style bike will have a smaller frame size than a road bike. Note that my
    road bike is a 27" frame, which was custom made, while the mountain bike has a 26 inch frame. Any
    good bike shop would know how to fit you. "Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Pawn707) wrote:
    > > First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    > > driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of
    > > transportation whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility.
    > > But I do have some questions:
    > >
    > > I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    > > think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?
    > > Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!
    >
    > Pawn, I'm posting the pertinent part of your message to alt.support.tall, where they regularly
    > discuss bike frames, footwear, car legroom, and other concerns of the big 'n' tall.
    >
    > --Karen M. Hi, Ed!

  4. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    Dave Rasmussen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > From article
    <[email protected]t>, by "Lyle Meier"
    <[email protected]>:
    > > Bicycles can be ordered custom made with any frame available. Of course
    this
    > > is a bit more expensive than a stock bike, and traditionally these bikes tend to
    have
    > > top of the line

    I agree with this statement. My builder is John Hollands, 1 Main St., Reisterstown, Maryland 21136
    (410) 526-3983. I'm not the typical cyclist's physique: 35" arms and 30" inseam (no orangutan jokes,
    please), and John built me a road bike I can ride all day.

    He also built a road bike for Vlade Divac, who is/was a professional basketball player residing in
    the DC area at the time. John has a photo of Vlade aside his bike, with John standing beside both.
    John's shoulder is at Vlade's waist! John thinks its the largest road bike ever built, and his
    search for components took amazing twists.

    With a custom frame, you can always upgrade years later to new gruppos and accessories, and, well,
    if you've ever owned a custom-made suit or shirt, you'll know what I'm talking about.

    Bernie no affiliation with Hollands Cycles (except as satisfied customer) remove my age to Reply

  5. I have a 26" Fuji Nevada that I bought about six years ago.

    "Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Pawn707) wrote:
    > > First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    > > driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of
    > > transportation whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility.
    > > But I do have some questions:
    > >
    > > I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    > > think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?
    > > Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!
    >
    > Pawn, I'm posting the pertinent part of your message to alt.support.tall, where they regularly
    > discuss bike frames, footwear, car legroom, and other concerns of the big 'n' tall.
    >
    > --Karen M. Hi, Ed!

  6. Pawn707

    Pawn707 Guest

    Thanks everyone for your replies.

    I'm mainly using my bike for errands right now (I'm lucky to live downtown so MOST stuff is
    walkable), not off-road, etc.

    It looks like a custom bike is the way to go...just as soon as I get a job :-(

    (Is it just me but do groceries taste better when you ride for 30 minutes each way to fetch them?)

  7. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    [email protected] (Pawn707) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    > driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of
    > transportation whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility.
    > But I do have some questions:
    >
    > I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    > think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?
    >
    > Also, I'm not interested in crazy rock-hopping for my commmuter right now so lightness, etc.
    > aren't really so much a factor right now...however I DO want quality moving parts to say the least
    > (I have some substantial hills that I'd like to take with confidence). Right now it's all stock
    > except for a spindle I had replaced a while ago. Would you all recommend any sort of replacement
    > gear system, brand, etc.? Something that can take a beating?
    >
    > I would like to stress that I'm trying to go barebones here while really focusing on the stuff
    > that are of a safety nature, fundamental functionality, etc. In other words I don't need the
    > latest and greatest hi-tech frame with space age tires--I'm going on flatground here, running
    > errands, etc. I understand my Giant Rincon isn't the exactly a high-end ride. However I want to
    > make it as road worthy as possible, something I can depend on.
    >
    > Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!

    the latest rivendell reader has a picture of an 87cm (34.25 in.) Mariposa frame built by Michael
    Barry of Ontario, Canada. it was made for a man named David Aird, who is just a bit under 7 ft.
    tall. that's a big frame! smokey strodtman

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > the latest rivendell reader has a picture of an 87cm (34.25 in.) Mariposa frame built by Michael
    > Barry of Ontario, Canada. it was made for a man named David Aird, who is just a bit under 7 ft.
    > tall. that's a big frame!

    Being "a bit under 7 ft." myself (6'10"), I'm surprised at the size of that frame. I have several
    27"/68 cm frames that fit pretty well. After all, as tall as 6'10" sounds, it's only 17% or so above
    average height. I can't picture using a frame much larger, certainly not 20 cm larger.

    The real problem with big frames is flex. "Artisan" frame builders who use traditional techniques
    like lugged construction are limited in tubing choices. As a result, they tend to do strange things
    like double top tubes, or diagonal bracing tubes (like tandems). Large diameter welded aluminum
    tubes are a much better choice for stiffness. Lugged frames are also more vulnerable to metal
    fatigue at the lug edges, I've got one neatly cracked along the head tube lug.

    I've consulted with a few frame builders about large custom frames. One of the best known east coast
    builders admitted that, while he could make a frame large enough, I might not be happy with it.
    Another talked about using non-bicycle chromo tubes. Guys like Leonard Zinn claim to have big frames
    dialed in, but his frames use silly short chainstays, a *really* bad idea for tall frames. I've
    talked with a couple of tall guys who went the custom lugged steel frame route, neither was happy
    with the amount of frame flex they had. A better solution is to use a large frame designed for
    touring, it's much more likely to have stiffness and appropriately sized chainstays/wheelbase.

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Guys like Leonard Zinn claim to have big frames dialed in, but his frames use silly short
    > chainstays, a
    *really* bad idea for
    > tall frames. I've talked with a couple of tall guys who
    went the custom lugged
    > steel frame route, neither was happy with the amount of
    frame flex they had. A
    > better solution is to use a large frame designed for
    touring, it's much more
    > likely to have stiffness and appropriately sized
    chainstays/wheelbase.

    I've often thought about this. It seems to me the wheelbase should scale with the height of the
    rider, for reasons of weight distribution, stability, and ride quality. Short wheelbases and short
    chainstays are trendy, but don't make any sense. And certainly the effect gets worse as the rider
    gets taller. However, most road bikes have the same length chainstays throughout their full range of
    sizes. OTOH, their designers harp on half-cm differences in top tube length as being significant.

    Matt O.

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Pawn707) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > First of all I'm proud to announce that I've only driven my car once in the last week--down from
    > > driving perhaps once a day or more! I'm looking to use my bike as my primary mode of
    > > transportation whenever possible from now on. I'm realizing that it is very much a possibility.
    > > But I do have some questions:
    > >
    > > I have an (older) Giant Rincon, which I've been told is the largest frame size available (26" I
    > > think? It's big--and so am I). Are there any other bike frames out there at this size?
    > >
    > > Also, I'm not interested in crazy rock-hopping for my commmuter right now so lightness, etc.
    > > aren't really so much a factor right now...however I DO want quality moving parts to say the
    > > least (I have some substantial hills that I'd like to take with confidence). Right now it's all
    > > stock except for a spindle I had replaced a while ago. Would you all recommend any sort of
    > > replacement gear system, brand, etc.? Something that can take a beating?
    > >
    > > I would like to stress that I'm trying to go barebones here while really focusing on the stuff
    > > that are of a safety nature, fundamental functionality, etc. In other words I don't need the
    > > latest and greatest hi-tech frame with space age tires--I'm going on flatground here, running
    > > errands, etc. I understand my Giant Rincon isn't the exactly a high-end ride. However I want to
    > > make it as road worthy as possible, something I can depend on.
    > >
    > > Any other advice, links to sites, etc. would be a big help!
    >
    > the latest rivendell reader has a picture of an 87cm (34.25 in.) Mariposa frame built by Michael
    > Barry of Ontario, Canada. it was made for a man named David Aird, who is just a bit under 7 ft.
    > tall. that's a big frame!

    I'd like to know what they did for tubes since a couple high end frame builders (including
    Independant Fabrications and Waterfrod) stated to me that certain componenets were not available
    beyond a certain size, and this in regards to a 6'8" gentleman for whom I was trying to get a
    frame. If I recall, head tube and fork steerer were problems. Seat stays too? No all-carbon fork
    for this guy, eh?

    Robin Hubert

  11. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Guys like Leonard Zinn claim to have big frames dialed in, but his frames use silly short
    > > chainstays, a
    > *really* bad idea for
    > > tall frames. I've talked with a couple of tall guys who
    > went the custom lugged
    > > steel frame route, neither was happy with the amount of
    > frame flex they had. A
    > > better solution is to use a large frame designed for
    > touring, it's much more
    > > likely to have stiffness and appropriately sized
    > chainstays/wheelbase.
    >
    > I've often thought about this. It seems to me the wheelbase should scale with the height of the
    > rider, for reasons of weight distribution, stability, and ride quality. Short wheelbases and short
    > chainstays are trendy, but don't make any sense. And certainly the effect gets worse as the rider
    > gets taller. However, most road bikes have the same length chainstays throughout their full range
    > of sizes. OTOH, their designers harp on half-cm differences in top tube length as being
    > significant.

    Yes, you would think this would be the correct attitude. Stay length varies only a centimeter or two
    in most bikes in a certain model from size 48cm to
    68cm. this doesn't seem appropriate.

    I like Jobst's ideas on chainstay length. Try getting a builder to see it your way! Is settled on
    42cm stays in 54cm size. My Cannondale touring bike has stays in the 45cm range. This is nice.

    Robin Hubert