Largest tire size for Trek 5500?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Shawn Amir, Mar 22, 2004.

  1. Shawn Amir

    Shawn Amir Guest

    Does anyone know off-hand the largest size tire that would
    fit a '98 Trek 5500? (Velocity Deep-V rim) I was thinking of
    getting a Conti Ultra something or other in 28...

    Cheers, Shawn

    PS: Am I the only person to have found the resonant
    frequency of my more sensitive parts on Hwy 84 near the
    coast? I don't ever want to ride that road again on
    700x23 tires pumped to 140 Psi.

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Shawn Amir" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know off-hand the largest size tire that would
    > fit a '98 Trek 5500? (Velocity Deep-V rim) I was thinking
    > of getting a Conti Ultra something or other in 28...
    >
    > Cheers, Shawn
    >
    > PS: Am I the only person to have found the resonant
    > frequency of my more sensitive parts on Hwy 84 near
    > the coast? I don't ever want to ride that road again
    > on 700x23 tires pumped to 140 Psi.

    I put 28s on and got the wheels remounted on my 5500 a while
    back. Did a 45 mile ride over some really rough roads (which
    is why I mounted those big tires). Though I seemed to have
    about a mm of clearance on both sides when I mounted the
    wheels, flex or deflection or whatever led to rubbing
    throughout the ride and, by the time I got done, I scrubbed
    all the pain off the inside of my chainstays. I'd suggest
    you not try anything above 25s.

    Bob C.

  3. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    I've run 700x28C in mine but they really measure more like 27mm - Serfas Seca FPS.

    Why are you running 140psi? That seems excessive. Unless you weigh over 220lbs, you don't need tire pressure that high with 700x23. I weigh 150lbs and run my front at 95psi and rear at 105psi with 700x23. That seems to give the best mix of comfort and rolling resistance while still preventing pinch flats.

  4. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    As Gonzo Bob stated just because you are buying a certain size tire, it doesn't mean thats what you will get. Tire sizing is nominal, and though it's certainly not the rule, it may vary from one manufacturers batch to the next. Try the 25's (my guess is that's about as wide as your chain stays will allow).

  5. evanedward

    evanedward New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2017
    well just to add to an old subject. I am one of those people who wanted to know about this because I bought a 2000 Trek 5500 and then went out and gave bigger tires a try and decided to join up to the forum to add to the collection of information.

    I have year 2000 56cm 5500 looks like all still stock Dura Ace components of that time. I live by the beach and the paths are fairly well paved but also can get sandy and pavement rough and i wanted something a little bigger than the super speedy thin 23cm tires that come with the 5500.

    I was excited to see this white year 2000 pop up for under $600 with a professional tune up. The paint isn't the greatest and the decals are in bad shape, but she still looks nice in pearly white. I like the older components and look or the bike as it is however the 23mm tires are a bit too thin for the riding i do.

    I took the plunge and order 700c 28mm tires off eBay - I honestly was just looking at the price no real good research. Part of me thought i was buying tires that would never be ridden because they wouldn't fit my bike.

    Vittoria Randonneur II Tire: 700c 28mm Clincher Black Wire - 25/tire so not dirt cheap but not super high end either.

    Brought them to the bike shop with the pedals i needed installed and asked them to give it a try. 10 mins later they came back saying the tires fit no problem. Filled to pressure the chain stay still has quite a few mm clearance.

    I rode about 30 miles so far so I'll give update closer to 500 miles, right now they work like a charm. I felt a bit more stability over the 23mm for sure. I don't know if anything bigger can fit or if even other 28mm tires will fit, but i am happy with these fit.

    Attached Files:

  6. evanedward

    evanedward New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2017
    hard to get camera in there.

    Attached Files:

  7. dhk2

    dhk2 Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    2,214
    Good report on the switch from 23's to 28's, but you've left out the most important part when you simply said "filled to pressure". I say this because the main advantage to a bigger tire is to allow lower pressures. Lower pressures should yield better handling, more grip, less road buzz and fewer flats. The wider tire should allow a drop of 10 psi or so.

    We all ride on different roads and like different pressures. EG, I'm 200 lbs, and run my 25mm GP 4000s at 105 psi rear, 92 front. On 23's years ago, I always ran 115/100 psi. The front tire works well with lower pressure because normally on a road bike there is less weight on the front...something between 45% front, 55% rear and 40%/60% rear is normal. (I measured weight distribution using a bathroom scale and it came out in that range).

    evanedward likes this.
  8. evanedward

    evanedward New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2017
    good point, i must admit to letting the guy at the bike shop do it and not even checking. I will check tire pressure next time i am with bike. I've been riding for a few weeks and tires are working great.

    And also true about matching tire/pressure to your area. I was mostly looking for wider tires for traction, bad bumps aren't a big issue in my area, the bike path/road i go on is close enough to the ocean it gets covered in sand and i've almost wiped out a few times from sliding while turning when there is a layer of sand on the path.

    I also don't have a big issue of small rock and pebbles in my area, i am pushing the clearance minimum for sure.

  9. peterparker

    peterparker New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2017