Larry! Biomechanics

Dakitty

Guest
Here's some links for you to read and chew on :)

http://www.math.tulane.edu/~ljf/ce2.pdf http://www.sportsci.org/news/biomech/skeptic.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0208022
http://www.frams.alife.pl/common/Komosinski_FramsticksSimul_VW2000.pdf
http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/newweb/journals/Sports/
http://www.education.ed.ac.uk/cis/swim/WSSC2002/r-z.html
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson.htm (Talks about how holding one's head too
high, assymetrical body rolls and unilateral breating all contribute towards shoulder impingement)
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/swimming/

see, I told you it's the toes:
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v407/n6804/a bs/407582a0_r.html
(okay, I'm joking about this one)

http://www.aptn.pt/artigos_tecnicos/Toussaint.2.pdf among other things has head high vs. head low
effect on drag lab tests http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/biomech/news.htm

Well, there's lots more, but this will keep you busy for a while, and probably give you ideas to
search for more.

Oh, and here is a relatively inexpensive book about fluid dynamics: "An Introduction to Fluid
Dynamics" by G. K. Batchelor, Amazon has it and another one: "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by
James A. Fay - this one is more expensive.

Have Fun !

"DaKitty" <[email protected]> writes:

<snip>

Interesting links - thanks for those!

> Well, there's lots more, but this will keep you busy for a while, and probably give you ideas to
> search for more.
>
> Oh, and here is a relatively inexpensive book about fluid dynamics: "An Introduction to Fluid
> Dynamics" by G. K. Batchelor, Amazon has it and another one: "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by
> James A. Fay - this one is more expensive.

To go with those, a great book is Milton Van Dyke's "Album of Fluid Motion", which illustrates a lot
of the points in some of the drier fluid mechanics books with beautiful pictures. Probably worth
locating a library copy rather than buying it, but it's very good.

Ian.

In article <fqX0b.8901$S_.811@fed1read01>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> writes:

>http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson.htm (Talks about how holding one's head too
>high, assymetrical body rolls and unilateral breating all contribute towards shoulder impingement)

I know Dr. Johnson, author of the above article). I met Dr. Johnson (of Stanford U) at a USA
Swimming sportsmedicine meeting in Colorado Springs in April of 2001. At that meeting, I gave a 10
minute presentation on shoulder friendly swimming technique, which was unchallenged by Dr. Johnson
and by all the other physicians, orthopedic surgeons, and physical therapists present. It presented
the exact same concepts published in the two Swimming Technique articles and then on the ASCA
website. I read the above article when it was originally published in January, 2003, in the journal
Physician and Sportsmedicine (which I have received every month for more than 20 years). I quoted
from this very article in a previous post on r.s.s. earlier this summer. You may also note that Dr.
Johnson recommends entering the water pinky first instead of thumb first, to maintain external
rotation. This was part of my presentation and Dr. Johnson came up to me personally after my
presentation and told me that he agreed with my presentation, and specifically about the importance
of maintaining external rotation, which then made it way into the above article. This is of
importance, as it centrally relates to the issues of body roll and head lifting.

I am quite certain that Dr. Johnson would have no disagreement at all with me. He was writing an
article for physicians out in the community who see recreational swimmers (and not expert elite
swimmers). You simply do not understand the biomechanics of shoulder pain in swimming (as shown by
your assertion that it is caused by problems related to the deltoid muscle, which is so rare as to
be a zebra among the hoofbeats of North American horses), and you particularly do not understand
them in the context of the swimmer in question, which I reported in my original post.

Bilateral breathing is of help in avoiding impingement injury in the average recreational swimmer
for the following reason. It is harder to maintain external rotation on the non-breathing side than
on the breathing side, if one is rolling more to the breathing side and less to the non-breathing
side. It can certainly be done (and is done, at the elite level, by lopers who use this technique).
One can (and should) consciously "feather" the recovering hand on the non-breathing side to maintain
external rotation. Or one can raise the head and forequarter (as suggested by Fagan as a reason why
"lopers"...who rotate very little to the non-breathing side...do it) to assist the non-breathing
side arm clear the water. These are, however, sophisticated techniques and, again, the article was
just written to provide busy primary care physicians with some practical guidance on things to
suggest. If an average community swimmer is having symptoms of shoulder impingement on the
non-breathing side, then having that swimmer roll more to the non-breathing side (or to bilaterally
breathe) will help that swimmer (as would "feathering" and/or raising the non-breathing shoulder in
the style of many lopers).

However, the swimmer in my post had the opposite problem. She had symptoms of impingement on the
BREATHING side. Which she was relieving by rolling more to the breathing side and less to the
non-breathing side. This will help a lot to lessen impingement, pain, and injury. But the coach
advised her to rotate more to the non-breathing side, which makes it harder to stay in external
rotation on the breathing side during the pull. Which is bad.

With regard to the head lift, again, it is addressed to community physicians, seeing a diverse range
of community swimmers. There is a right way and wrong way to raise the head. The method which is
used by lopers actually REDUCES impingement and does not increase it. This follows from easy to
explain biomechanics (I could easily show you on an articulated skeleton with muscle origins and
insertions mapped out). But you don't have to take my word for it; there is actually a formal
reference from the peer review medical literature which explains how _proper_ head lifting is
beneficial and not harmful. Penny,J and Smith, C. Canadian Journal of Applied Sportsmedicine
5:195-202, 1980. Entitled Prevention and Treatment of Swimmer's Shoulder or something very similar.

With regard to PASSIVE drag being increased by head lifting, this is not what happens in ACTIVE
swimming with PROPER headlifting. True, when you push off the wall and streamline, there is less
drag keeping the head down instead of lifting it up. But, with active swimming, a proper head lift
counteracts leg sinking torque of the pull and therefore reduces drag, rather than increasing
it. As discussed in the Yanai article which I have referenced often.

Look, you are trying to say that the greatest female distance swimmer in history (Janet Evans) who
has the oldest records in swimming and who lifted her entire head out of the water with each and
every stroke of her 400 and 800 meter freestyle swims was increasing her drag with her head lifts?
Just like the _ _ instructor who said on this newsgroup that Ian Thorpe would swim faster if only
his head didn't bob up and down. Everyone else, before me, has just ignored all of the head lifting
and asymmetric swimming and loping which is going on all around us in the world of swimming. Just
ignored it. You are very good at coming up with literature and web sources. Find me some published
research or even some un-published musing on why it is that Evans lifts her head and Munz (currently
the greatest active American female distance swimmer) lifts her head and why Hackett (greatest
distance swimmer in history) lopes (swims so asymmetrically and rotates much more to the breathing
side than to the non-breathing side and has markedly asymmetric hand entry timings) and where anyone
has ever studied the relationship between kicking effectiveness and stroke length and swimming
performance. Perhaps you think that all these questions are not worthy of consideration. Perhaps you
think it's inappropriate to formulate hypotheses and discuss them on the r.s.s. bully pulpit. At the
USA Swimming sportsmedicine meeting, I was the only one in the shoulder pain session who even talked
about the relationship between technique and impingement. Everyone else was talking physical therapy
and surgery. But the latter are treatments and my way is prevention. Which virtually no one in the
world of swimming was aware of before I started to blabber all about it on
i.u.s more than 5 years ago. Why it's bad to internally rotate on recovery and entry. But word is
getting around and things are changing for the better. I claim credit for not a little of it.

You are good at coming up with technical references. I'd be very interested in the technical
references which, we have heard so often, prove that bumblebees can't fly.

Larry Weisenthal

Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

okay, i'm actually going to read through these and try to figure out what they mean:

"DaKitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fqX0b.8901$S_.811@fed1read01>...
> http://www.math.tulane.edu/~ljf/ce2.pdf
This is a paper about how nematodes propel themselves in water. Also covered are motion via cilia
and flagella. It describes purely undulatory motion, which humans don't use, at very low reynolds
numbers (on the order of 1). It briefly turns to the topic of 2 cm long leeches: "In this case, the
Reynolds number based upon wavelength and wavespeed is about 1000 - inertial effects are
significantly more important than viscous effects." Reynolds number for humans is on the order of
1000000: (1000 kg/m^3 * 5/3 m/s * 3/2 m ) / 10^-3 kg/m/s = Rn for a 1.5m person swimming a 50m in
30 seconds

> http://www.sportsci.org/news/biomech/skeptic.html
an article about the lift v. drag question, basically saying that we don't know. Kind of
interesting, actually :)

> http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0208022
Another article on sperm - this one determining the optimal sperm number for undulatory, flagella
based propulsion. (the 4th root of length^4 * frequency * transverse viscous force/stiffness).
Again, at low reynolds numbers that are somewhat inapplicable due to the small effect viscous forces
have on humans.

> http://www.frams.alife.pl/common/Komosinski_FramsticksSimul_VW2000.pdf
Not accessible

> http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/newweb/journals/Sports/
No article, home page of the Sports Biomechanics journal. Contents indicate the articles may be of
interest, but, alas, they seem to want money to order them.

> http://www.education.ed.ac.uk/cis/swim/WSSC2002/r-z.html
a list of abstracts of papers on various swimming topics.

> http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson.htm (Talks about how holding one's head too
> high, assymetrical body rolls and unilateral breating all contribute towards shoulder impingement)

> http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/swimming/
the Swimming Science Journal "The complete Swimming Science Journal no longer is available online as
a free web site."

> see, I told you it's the toes:
> http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v407/n6804/a bs/407582a0_r.html
> (okay, I'm joking about this one)

> http://www.aptn.pt/artigos_tecnicos/Toussaint.2.pdf among other things has head high vs. head low
> effect on drag lab tests
Among other things has head high vs. head low effect on PASSIVE drag. while streamlining with the
head between the arms. I somehow doubt Larry disputes that the head should be facing down during the
streamline.

> http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/biomech/news.htm
An article about the interplay between the AIS biomechanics deptarment and the aussie swim team,
avoiding any mention of what the results were.

Okay, that's the one bite you get. You're a troll. And a particulary bad one. I don't agree with
everything Larry says, but at least he has the knowledge to explain the background of his claims.
You seem to have searched google for the words "biomechanics" and "swimming" and returned a bunch
of random documents. Some of them don't exist, some of them are just general journal contents
pages, and some of them simply have no bearing on anything above the cellular level. I don't even
know if you understand the papers you threw up - my guess is you don't, or you wouldn't be
spamming us with links to papers dealing with scales where viscous forces are of serious concern.
You're being sarcastic and condescending to somebody who quite obviously knows much more about
the subject matter than you. Hell, I think _I_ probably know more about the subject than you -
I've been swimming competitively since the age of 8, and I'm pretty strong in the physical
sciences. If your post was an attempt at refutation by obscurity, it failed. If it was an attempt
to belittle Larry's knowledge of biomechanics and fluid dynamics, it also failed. All it did was
prove that you have no actual authority, but are only interested in winning an internet pissing
match, which is even more obvious now than in your previous posts in which you take pride in
having the last petty word. Get over yourself, and go troll somewhere else.

Oh, and use your real name. Everyone else here does. Because we're interested in discussion,
discourse and other people, not racking up wins by simply responding ad naseum with random ****.

Dave

On 21 Aug 2003 20:00:59 GMT, [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:

>You are good at coming up with technical references. I'd be very interested in the technical
>references which, we have heard so often, prove that bumblebees can't fly.

Now Larry, when I cited conflicting studies, you accused me of scientific nihilism. You've quoted
Yanai-san ad infinitum, so don't get bent out of shape when someone else does the same.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

"Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <fqX0b.8901$S_.811@fed1read01>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2003/0103/johnson.htm (Talks about
how
> >holding one's head too high, assymetrical body rolls and unilateral
breating
> >all contribute towards shoulder impingement)

<big fat snip>

/thinks to self... Oh my! I think I found Mr. Right.
Mr. Alwaysious Right. /end thinks to self

Yo, Mr. Larry Wisenstain You missed my point, the posted stuff was FYI and learning and, ahem,
enlightenment. Not for debate. Sorry, I didn't read it. I lost interest in debates with no basis
in reality.

Want to debate a real thesis, go to grad school. You can probably join a masters swim team at the
university too, and get a good knowledgeable coach, test your theories on him/her, where you can
show it all in practice. It would be more intellectually satisfying then filibustering a newsgroup.

PS. You're gonna give yourself carpal tunnel, or some other repetitive injury typing all this. Whose
fault is that gonna be? You're Totally Immersed in this [pun intended].

"Ian Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "DaKitty" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> <snip>
>
> Interesting links - thanks for those!
>
> > Well, there's lots more, but this will keep you busy for a while, and probably give you ideas to
> > search for more.
> >
> > Oh, and here is a relatively inexpensive book about fluid dynamics: "An Introduction to Fluid
> > Dynamics" by G. K. Batchelor, Amazon has it and another one: "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics"
> > by James A. Fay - this one is more expensive.
>
> To go with those, a great book is Milton Van Dyke's "Album of Fluid Motion", which illustrates a
> lot of the points in some of the drier fluid mechanics books with beautiful pictures. Probably
> worth locating a library copy rather than buying it, but it's very good.
>
> Ian.

Thanks :)

Yea, that book is very neat. You can get some interesting images when you search google too :)

Hey, Dave. Ease up man. I don't think our Tiger is a troll. She sounds pretty thoughtful and
articulate to me.

Two words - John Heenan. There was a troll. We're talking apples and oranges.

Regards,

Scott

"Donal Fagan" <Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 21 Aug 2003 20:00:59 GMT, [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
>
> >You are good at coming up with technical references. I'd be very interested in the technical
> >references which, we have heard so often, prove that bumblebees can't fly.
>
> Now Larry, when I cited conflicting studies, you accused me of scientific nihilism. You've quoted
> Yanai-san ad infinitum, so don't get bent out of shape when someone else does the same.

Yea, I said yesterday, he can dish it out, but isn't really good at taking
it.Interrrresting, huh? ;)

> Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

You an Architect? Cool! My mom is an architect. One of the things I do is architectural and
engineering related 3D illustration and simulations :)

x-no-archive:yes

juvenile striking back. That's all it is. either argue logically or go outside and play with the
rest of the kiddies.

Pat in TX

[email protected] (Scott Lemley) pondered, puzzeled, prognosticated (perhaps even premeditated),
and then, in a very wise voice, sed: :

>Hey, Dave. Ease up man. I don't think our Tiger is a troll. She sounds pretty thoughtful and
>articulate to me.

Scott, *you* are thoughtful and articulate. Read a post of your own writing. Then read a post of
DaKitty's (other then the one(s) where she seems to be "coming on" to you--Get a private room,
kitty!). One will reflect substance in a thougthful and reasoned manner. The other will come off as
self-righteous, condescending, hypocritical, reactionary and vacuous.

You can decide whose is whose. :)

(At least that's how the come off to me, but then again, i've lost my internet service for the past
three days, so i've been hit over the head full-force with that whole "wrongheaded" "debate" in one
solid hammer blow.)

--
chris

"Nothing is real."

Hi Chris.

The whole "USA is wrongheaded" debate in one shot? You need to lay down and put a cool washcloth
over your eyes. I admit I've had my fun with Larry, though I hope it's seen as poking fun at him in
a good natured way. Where we disagree, I THINK we agree to disagree.

In our new Tiger's defense I think there's room for both good spirited debate and a bit of fun
poking even to the point of the deflation of egos (where possible). I suppose the male ego is fairly
fragile though we're all pretty safely hidden away in our own caves and no real damage is ever done.
Except perhaps to the thin skinned. I'm not sure we could EVER hurt the female ego. And I mean that
in a kind way. I've hurt one of my female swimmer's feelings on occasion, though, on the whole,
girls are soooo tough. I love coaching women. (Whoops,I don't want to get off on a male:female
swimmer theme, you know, "buoys" are from Uranus and "gulls" are from Neptune thing).

Anyway, I've been contributing to rss for a number of years and I come and go. The main players are
pretty predictible so I kinda like new voices and am willing to give anyone the time and space to
settle in.

Why I remember when Larry and I first went at it . . . whew! He was one tough customer. He called me
to task for wanting to keep the coach-parent relationship at arms length. But that's a story for
another time.

Take care.

Regards,

Scott

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> juvenile striking back. That's all it is.

Actually, it's sarcasam. You do know what sarcasam is.

>either argue logically

You're a day late. I already did, till Larry became illogical.

> or go outside and play with the rest of the kiddies.
>
> Pat in TX

Sure Daddy-o

See, with your last comment, you opened yourself to the identical comeback: "Either argue logically,
or go out and play with the rest of the kiddies."

Did you know that condescending doesn't actually make you superior, it just gives you a false
feeling of superiority, instant gratification style. Wanna demonstrate some real superiority, buckle
up and stay out of the bickering that doesn't revolve around you. Unless, of course, you wish to
escalate it by adding your own dose of juvenility.

I know, I know, you thought you were so smart and proper when you wrote that post, hoping to put me
in a right place. It never occurred to you that you were doing the same thing that you were trying
to reprimand me for doing.

Sure, you wanna play one-up with me, just to see how obnoxious you're capable of being, I'll play,
it's not that hard. It's your turn now.

"Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In the present case, Kitty just lists a whole bunch of websites, without stating exactly what is
> the conclusion that I'm supposed to be reaching
from
> each.

*sigh*
[ Iknew it, I forgot to tell you to exhale! ]

Sorry, I though it may be interesting reading for you, and maybe educational too.

You need to slow down on the conclusions bit. You slide off to a conclusion faster than ice-cream
slides off a hot griddle.You're gonna hurt yourself one day doing that.

Okay, here's your homework... Go read ALL the links I posted, then find another 20 links with