Las Vegas for the weekend & i'm bringin' the bike

Tookie

Guest
wondering if anyone out there could help me out on doing some good training rides out of the vegas
area this coming weekend, i'll be there saturday through monday for riding.

i just found out i'll be staying in henderson and as much as i 'love' my in-laws i really don't want
to spend every waking hour with them for 3 1/2 days, so i'm bringing the bike.

i'd like to get out there for a good 6 hours those 3 days so if anyone knows of a shop with a group
ride or a decent map with 'back' roads i'd much appreciate it, and as someone else recently
mentioned yahoo maps and maquest aren't very useful anymore. thanks

tookie wrote:
> wondering if anyone out there could help me out on doing some good training rides out of the vegas
> area this coming weekend, i'll be there saturday through monday for riding.
>
> i just found out i'll be staying in henderson and as much as i 'love' my in-laws i really don't
> want to spend every waking hour with them for 3 1/2 days, so i'm bringing the bike.
>
> i'd like to get out there for a good 6 hours those 3 days so if anyone knows of a shop with a
> group ride or a decent map with 'back' roads i'd much appreciate it, and as someone else recently
> mentioned yahoo maps and maquest aren't very useful anymore. thanks

Head across to the SW area of the valley and start up Black Rock Canyon(?). Or head SE from
Henderson and tour the Hoover Dam area. Probably heavy traffic there on weekends.

The road to Mount Charleston looked like a pleasant way to gain 5000 feet, but the guy at the bike
shop said it's considered one of the hardest climbs in the nation. It was a long and gentle road.
It's on the opposite side of the city from Henderson though, about 40 miles plus the ride itself.

Give Peloton Cycles a call - sorry if I've mis-remembered the name. The people there knew their
stuff. If there's no such shop, any shop there should be able to direct you to them. That's how I
found them.

If you're a thrill-seeker, try the Strip. It looks doable to me.

It's Red Rock Canyon, and it really is a great ride, but at the opposite end of town.

You can make a 40-50 mile loop from Henderson to Boulder City, down to Lake Mead and along the shore
then back up to Henderson on Lake Mead (blvd?). Get a good map.

Also head out west to "Old Vegas Hiway"(Las Vegas Blvd) and ride south to Jean and back (also around
40-50 miles r/t). A long slow up and down grade, but light traffic and good desert riding once
you're over the top of the pass out of Vegas.

For a shorter "in town" loop (15-30 mi), you can connect rides that go through the planned Green
Valley Ranch/Anthem/Seven Hills communities and St Rose parkway to the south, Southern Hills/Blue
Diamond Rd/Industrial west of I-15. The planned communities have wide boulevards, less traffic,
climbing and views. You can also connect up with Blue Diamond Rd to get out to Red Rocks (40-60 mi
r/t).

Weather should be great. It was warm and high 70s last week. have fun.