Last minute advice for Windsor (UK)

Mdava

Guest
I am about to do the Windsor (Olympic) tri for the first time.

So far my total race experience is two sprints with pool swims. I haven't been swimming in open
water for a long time, but am a much better swimmer than cyclist/runner.

Anyone with previous experience got any useful tips to offer?

Thanks mDava at bigfoot dot com

mDava <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am about to do the Windsor (Olympic) tri for the first time.
>
> So far my total race experience is two sprints with pool swims. I haven't been swimming in open
> water for a long time, but am a much better swimmer than cyclist/runner.
>
> Anyone with previous experience got any useful tips to offer?
>
> Thanks mDava at bigfoot dot com

Hmmmmmm, no-one's biting. I'm sure I'm not the only person in England reading this newsgroup.

Here's another one:

On Sunday, I'm riding a racing bike that I inherited from my brother-in-law. It stood in a garage
for about a decade before I fixed it up, and while it looks shiny now (new paint) it is still
old-tech (ten-speed).

Then I discovered, that it belonged to a couple of people before that, as well, and started life as
a five-speed (!) in the early sixties or possibly even late fifties.

I figure that if there was a prize for the oldest bike I'd be in with a chance.

Anyone want to chip in with their story about the antiques they rode their first tris on?

mDava

"mDava" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> mDava <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am about to do the Windsor (Olympic) tri for the first time.
> >
> > So far my total race experience is two sprints with pool swims. I
haven't
> > been swimming in open water for a long time, but am a much better
swimmer
> > than cyclist/runner.
> >
> > Anyone with previous experience got any useful tips to offer?
> >
> > Thanks mDava at bigfoot dot com

All right I'll bite,

I haven't done Windsor (entered but had anaemia) but I have watched and helped time keep.

Biggest advice

Swim to the edge of the river and continue your swim from there. The current can be quite strong
against you at the start and swimming close to the bank reduces it's effect. Also try draftin off a
faster swimmer. Don't be afraid to race the first 100m because you'll get in with some stronger
swimmers who will drag you to a faster time. If you get caught with the slower swimmers your time
could be around 45 to 50 mins.

Good Luck

Wayne

Tel: +44 (0)20 8421 8866 (Direct Line)

DrClean

www.DrClean.co.uk

The best fabric cleaning resource on the web.

> Hmmmmmm, no-one's biting. I'm sure I'm not the only person in England reading this newsgroup.

Brits online ... here we go

> On Sunday, I'm riding a racing bike that I inherited from my brother-in-law. It stood in a garage
> for about a decade before I fixed it up, and while it looks shiny now (new paint) it is still
> old-tech (ten-speed).
>
> Then I discovered, that it belonged to a couple of people before that, as well, and started life
> as a five-speed (!) in the early sixties or possibly even late fifties.
>
> I figure that if there was a prize for the oldest bike I'd be in with a chance.
>
> Anyone want to chip in with their story about the antiques they rode their first tris on?

I have spent the last two years riding a Claud Butler Majestic - early 80s tourer with all the
touring bits stripped off and a basic Profile tri bar on the front. I have still managed to get into
the top 10% of bike splits on most races I have done from sprints up to Olympic. What is even more
amusing is that the forks are now very chipped and starting to rust so when I overtake folk on fancy
tri bikes and the first thing they see are the front forks come past I have heard som excellent
comments, usually along the lines of "Oh s**t" !

BUT thankfully I am off to pick up my new custom built TCR this afternoon, so the old beast will
have to be passed on.

Is this the "its not the bike, but the man on the bike" mantra? We'll have to see. I'm hoping its
the bike that will count so that my bike splits will get event better.

Not doing Windsor but will be at the Gatorade Big Half next month - anyone else doing it?

Ken

hi Ken, I'm doing the Windsor tri this Sunday too. It's my first ever tri. I'm riding rather an
old bike too - a Peugeot 12 speed about 15 years old, but it's quite light and I've got it tuned
up ok. i've done a 1:18 40K in training not fast by many standards - I'm hoping to ride about 1:30
in the race.

I went down to Windsor to check out the courses last week. I was thinking the same re sticking to
the far (right hand) bank on the way upstream. Not too much rain recently so I guess the river won't
be flowing as quick as it could be. I've been doing a bit of swimming in lakes around here (NW
London) the water is getting a lot warmer now (they are saying about 17C for the race) which feels
v. comfortable in a wetsuit.

It feels like a big step into the unknown for me. I know I can swim a 30min
1.5K in open water but that's without lots of other swimmers around me - so I guess I'll just have
to see how it goes.

all the best for Sunday,

cheers,

Kevin. "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hmmmmmm, no-one's biting. I'm sure I'm not the only person in England reading this newsgroup.
>
> Brits online ... here we go
>
> > On Sunday, I'm riding a racing bike that I inherited from my
brother-in-law.
> > It stood in a garage for about a decade before I fixed it up, and while
it
> > looks shiny now (new paint) it is still old-tech (ten-speed).
> >
> > Then I discovered, that it belonged to a couple of people before that,
as
> > well, and started life as a five-speed (!) in the early sixties or
possibly
> > even late fifties.
> >
> > I figure that if there was a prize for the oldest bike I'd be in with a chance.
> >
> > Anyone want to chip in with their story about the antiques they rode
their
> > first tris on?
>
> I have spent the last two years riding a Claud Butler Majestic - early 80s tourer with all the
> touring bits stripped off and a basic Profile tri bar on the front. I have still managed to get
> into the top 10% of bike splits on most races I have done from sprints up to Olympic. What is even
> more amusing is that the forks are now very chipped and starting to rust so when I overtake folk
> on fancy tri bikes and the first thing they see are the front forks come past I have heard som
> excellent comments, usually along the lines of "Oh s**t" !
>
> BUT thankfully I am off to pick up my new custom built TCR this afternoon, so the old beast will
> have to be passed on.
>
> Is this the "its not the bike, but the man on the bike" mantra? We'll have to see. I'm hoping its
> the bike that will count so that my bike splits will get event better.
>
> Not doing Windsor but will be at the Gatorade Big Half next month - anyone else doing it?
>
> Ken

sorry I'm more inexperienced on this server than I am at triathlon! I didn't realise that it was
mDava not Ken who posted originally - sorry both of you!

kev

> [...]
> > touring bits stripped off and a basic Profile tri bar on the front. I have still managed to get
> > into the top 10% of bike splits on most races I have done from sprints up to Olympic. What is
> > even more amusing is that the forks are now very chipped and starting to rust so when I overtake
> > folk on fancy tri bikes and the first thing they see are the front forks come past I have heard
> > som excellent comments, usually along the lines of "Oh s**t" !
> >
> > BUT thankfully I am off to pick up my new custom built TCR this afternoon, so the old beast will
> > have to be passed on.
> >
> > Is this the "its not the bike, but the man on the bike" mantra? We'll have to see. I'm hoping
> > its the bike that will count so that my bike splits will get event better.
> >
> > Not doing Windsor but will be at the Gatorade Big Half next month - anyone else doing it?

Kevin Draper <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi Ken, I'm doing the Windsor tri this Sunday too. It's my first ever tri. I'm riding rather an
> old bike too - a Peugeot 12 speed about 15 years old, but it's quite light and I've got it tuned
> up ok. i've done a 1:18 40K in training not fast by many standards - I'm hoping to ride about 1:30
> in the race.
>
> I went down to Windsor to check out the courses last week. I was thinking the same re sticking to
> the far (right hand) bank on the way upstream. Not too much rain recently so I guess the river
> won't be flowing as quick as
it
> could be. I've been doing a bit of swimming in lakes around here (NW
London)
> the water is getting a lot warmer now (they are saying about 17C for the race) which feels v.
> comfortable in a wetsuit.
>
> It feels like a big step into the unknown for me. I know I can swim a
30min
> 1.5K in open water but that's without lots of other swimmers around me -
so
> I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.
>
> all the best for Sunday,
>
> cheers,
>
> Kevin.

I went out and rode the bike course a couple of weekends ago - seems quite a nice course given that
there aren't many closed roads, mostly flat and its only in town that roundabouts and traffic lights
get in the way.

I went and swam in my hired wetsuit the other day to see what it was like - strange experience,
expecially when I took it off, pushed off the wall and then *sank*!

What are you planning to wear on the bike? I have been watching the weather forecast every day
trying to decide wether I can get away with just a T-shirt/tri-top or need something warmer.

Probably won't see you on Sunday, but have a great day.

mDava at bigfoot dot com

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have spent the last two years riding a Claud Butler Majestic - early 80s tourer with all the
> touring bits stripped off and a basic Profile tri bar on the front. I have still managed to get
> into the top 10% of bike splits on most races I have done from sprints up to Olympic. What is even
> more amusing is that the forks are now very chipped and starting to rust so when I overtake folk
> on fancy tri bikes and the first thing they see are the front forks come past I have heard som
> excellent comments, usually along the lines of "Oh s**t" !
>
> BUT thankfully I am off to pick up my new custom built TCR this afternoon, so the old beast will
> have to be passed on.
>
> Is this the "its not the bike, but the man on the bike" mantra? We'll have to see. I'm hoping its
> the bike that will count so that my bike splits will get event better.
>
> Not doing Windsor but will be at the Gatorade Big Half next month - anyone else doing it?
>
> Ken

Peculiar co-incidence: my current bike is an old Claud Butler, and a TCR looks like a *realistic*
possible purchase one day!

Are you still riding on 27" wheels, or have you switched to 700's? I have 27's on mine at the
moment, but there isn't much in the way of options for fast tyres (or wheels).

Won't be at the half (hoping to step up next year maybe, don't tell the missus)

mDava at bigfoot dot com

> Peculiar co-incidence: my current bike is an old Claud Butler, and a TCR looks like a *realistic*
> possible purchase one day!
>
> Are you still riding on 27" wheels, or have you switched to 700's? I have 27's on mine at the
> moment, but there isn't much in the way of options for fast tyres (or wheels).
>
> Won't be at the half (hoping to step up next year maybe, don't tell the missus)

Small world! Not long after I got into tri's I asked around about better wheels etc and got the same
answer - save your money for a better bike, and if you want to speed it up put an aerobar on it
which you can always reuse on a new bike! I was also told that 700's wouldn't fit the brakes without
spending more to drop the brakes down a bit. When I did trash a back wheel, a LBS/blacksmith(!) got
me a very cheap 27 inch wheel for about 20 quid - did the job though, and I used 1 inch tyres to try
to speed things up a bit. But, as from this week the ol' Claud B. is now lonely in the garage and I
am on the new TCR. Fantastic bike. Lots of stuff written on the newsgroups about only 3 sizes, won't
get a proper fit etc etc - ignore it and go and try one if you can. I got a new 2002 L anodized
frame over the internet from Bonthrone Bikes for 399 quid earlier this year and a good local bike
shop here built it up with Centaur groupset, Mavic CXP33 rims, ITM bars and carbon post for 630. So
the whole thing cost just over a grand - not bad as the Centaur TCR 1 was around 1400 quid last
year. With a Veloce groupset it could have been even cheaper (I am a Campy fan!). I couldn't find a
large anywhere to try so talked to a lot of places which do custom builds and fitting and they
thought the L would be fine for me, so I went for it. The guy building it up was used to fitting out
TCR's and very good on fitting and it is a joy to ride. If you are anywhere near Lincolnshire let me
know - we have a new tri club up and running here (www.lincolntri.co.uk).

Know the feeling with the wife - mine is adamant that I won't do an full distance IM event .... one
day, one day.

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Small world! Not long after I got into tri's I asked around about better wheels etc and got the
> same answer - save your money for a better bike, and if you want to speed it up put an aerobar on
> it which you can always reuse on a new bike! I was also told that 700's wouldn't fit the brakes
> without spending more to drop the brakes down a bit. When I did trash a back wheel, a
> LBS/blacksmith(!) got me a very cheap 27 inch wheel for about 20 quid - did the job though, and I
> used 1 inch tyres to try to speed things up a bit. But, as from this week the ol' Claud B. is now
> lonely in the garage and I am on the new TCR. Fantastic bike. Lots of stuff written on the
> newsgroups about only 3 sizes, won't get a proper fit etc etc - ignore it and go and try one if
> you can. I got a new 2002 L anodized frame over the internet from Bonthrone Bikes for 399 quid
> earlier this year and a good local bike shop here built it up with Centaur groupset, Mavic CXP33
> rims, ITM bars and carbon post for 630. So the whole thing cost just over a grand - not bad as the
> Centaur TCR 1 was around 1400 quid last year. With a Veloce groupset it could have been even
> cheaper (I am a Campy fan!). I couldn't find a large anywhere to try so talked to a lot of places
> which do custom builds and fitting and they thought the L would be fine for me, so I went for it.
> The guy building it up was used to fitting out TCR's and very good on fitting and it is a joy to
> ride. If you are anywhere near Lincolnshire let me know - we have a new tri club up and running
> here (www.lincolntri.co.uk).
>
> Know the feeling with the wife - mine is adamant that I won't do an full distance IM event ....
> one day, one day.

I'm at the other end of the country (Surrey) but had a quick look around your club website - looks
like you guys are pretty organised for a new club.

I haven't even broached the subject of IM with my other half, although she didn't balk at talk of a
Half the other day. OTOH, I don't think that she realises the distances involved (and the training
that goes with them) although at the moment I am getting quite a lot into each week (early mornings
- the bit of the day thats MINE).

Thanks for all the info, and enjoy the TCR - I'm hardly jealous at all!

mDava at bigfoot dot com

The traffic lights will be shut off during the race and will be police marshaled with the objective
of keeping the competitors moving. You still have to stick to the rules of the road, just becuase
the lights are off, if the police officer waves stop you have to stop. Failure to do so will mean
DQ'd and possibly prosecution or worse still death if you get hit side on by a car...

It's a bit late now, but if you get bit by the triathlon bug and want to do more open water swimming
drop me an e-mail. I'm the Chairman of the Tri-Force club out in Hertfordshire. Don't forget you can
use the ponds at Hampstead park for swimming...

I'll be one of the organising crew for the race on Sunday, probably working in transition... good
luck! ++Mark.