Last-minute tips: 24hr race (this weekend!)

Tamyka Bell

Guest
Hey all,

I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
(nice touch).

I've got three people lined up to visit me, but I also have some mates
who will be racing in teams, whose tents I might visit.

So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.

Tam

a motor would be a big help:D oh an petrol to run it.

Good luck,

I believe lotte mentioned sultanas at some point :eek:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
> switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
> got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
> whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
> shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
> done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
> collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
> the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
> (nice touch).

got your own dunny paper? and 1st aid kit?

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
> > switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
> > got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
> > whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
> > shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
> > done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
> > collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
> > the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
> > (nice touch).

> got your own dunny paper? and 1st aid kit?

Yep.

Obviously the 1st aid kit is so I can provide assistance to other people
who fall off, right? Not for me, right? :-o

um, Pace yourself?

Hey, you're almost packed & ready. Imagine if someones comes up with something that you didn't consider. You might not have enough time to do it, & you'll worry. It'll drive you crazy as you get a real broken sleep. You'll be in no state of mind to slug it out all 24hrs.

Bananas?
Have you got your tyre levers packed?
I found that taking fluids a little at a time (when you can) out on the lap helps me feel better than waiting out for the start/finish/changeover where I scull heaps & feel groggy.
Plastic bags? I never seem to have enough plastic bags - especally when it's wet/muddy.
I love those jelly snakes/lollies. I share them out if I come across rider broken down or whatever.
Socks. You can never have enough socks.

Tamyka Bell said:
So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.

Tam
My tips are:

1. The moon will be full and lights will be hardly necessary
2. Tam will kick **** and win her category
3. Tam will run out of Tim Tams before the end

Anyway, silliness from me but have a great time and good luck! :D

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> >
> > Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
> > > switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
> > > got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
> > > whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
> > > shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
> > > done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
> > > collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
> > > the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
> > > (nice touch).

> > got your own dunny paper? and 1st aid kit?

> Yep.
>
> Obviously the 1st aid kit is so I can provide assistance to other people
> who fall off, right? Not for me, right? :-o

blisters, chafe etc ... yeah, you can treat someone else's chafe if you
want to :)

SuzieB wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >
> > So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.
> >
> > Tam

> My tips are:
>
> 1. The moon will be full and lights will be hardly necessary

I'm sure there was a full moon last weekend...

> 2. Tam will kick **** and win her category

Hey, there's a 50% chance of that happening! If the other girl has a big
mechanical, I'm in with a chance!

> 3. Tam will run out of Tim Tams before the end

Oooh, I'm more of a choc wheaton girl when racing...

> Anyway, silliness from me but have a great time and good luck! :D

Thanks!

Marx SS wrote:

> um, Pace yourself?

Hehehe, I figure if I do one lap an hour, that's 240km by the end of it.
That's a lot of mileage on the MTB, given my previous off-road max is
100km, and on-road is 160km. So if I'm doing much more than one lap an
hour, I'll blow up - yes?

> Hey, you're almost packed & ready. Imagine if someones comes up with
> something that you didn't consider. You might not have enough time to
> do it, & you'll worry. It'll drive you crazy as you get a real broken
> sleep. You'll be in no state of mind to slug it out all 24hrs.

Good idea. But really, I still have almost 48hrs to get organised. I'm
thinking of getting a 2nd camelbak bladder...

> Bananas?

They upset my tummy when exercising. :-(

> Have you got your tyre levers packed?

Yup! And a tube, and a pump. Doubt I'll bother with CO2 - I will
probably appreciate the rest.

> I found that taking fluids a little at a time (when you can) out on the
> lap helps me feel better than waiting out for the
> start/finish/changeover where I scull heaps & feel groggy.

That'll be a standard - I'm an ultra runner!

> Plastic bags? I never seem to have enough plastic bags - especally when
> it's wet/muddy.

Oooh, I like that idea.

> I love those jelly snakes/lollies. I share them out if I come across
> rider broken down or whatever.

Good call.

> Socks. You can never have enough socks.

Genius! And you reminded me to not only take spare jerseys and knicks
(with different chamois patterns) but also spare bras.

And lube - not just for the bike!

Tamyka Bell said:
Hey all,

I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
(nice touch).

I've got three people lined up to visit me, but I also have some mates
who will be racing in teams, whose tents I might visit.

So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.

Tam

I haven't done any long distance enduros, but I'd make sure I packed the savlon or other bot-bot cream!

Adam

adam85 wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
> > switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
> > got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
> > whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
> > shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
> > done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
> > collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools,
> > although
> > the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
> > (nice touch).
> >
> > I've got three people lined up to visit me, but I also have some mates
> > who will be racing in teams, whose tents I might visit.
> >
> > So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.
> >
> > Tam

> I haven't done any long distance enduros, but I'd make sure I packed
> the savlon or other bot-bot cream!
>
> Adam

I have SportShield - better than bodyglide!

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Marx SS wrote:
> >
> > um, Pace yourself?

> Hehehe, I figure if I do one lap an hour, that's 240km by the end of it.
> That's a lot of mileage on the MTB, given my previous off-road max is
> 100km, and on-road is 160km. So if I'm doing much more than one lap an
> hour, I'll blow up - yes?

Sounds possible. 240km on a MTB is a *very* long way. My very long
ride experience is only 300km (Melb -> warrnambool RR), 10 hours. 24
hours .. wow.

As you get tired, your concentration will go and so will co-ordination,
if you have a mechanical problem you may struggle to fix it (even if
it's really simple, like a puncture). Do you have spare wheels? A
spare bike? (No, I'm not being silly!) A spare seatpost (that fits
your bike!) and saddle? Spare brake pads (and anything else that may
be different or unexpected that the race mechanics may not have spares
of?) A big roll of duct or gaffa tape and a shitload of cable ties? :)

It's not like running, where as long as you can keep your eyes open you
can still shuffle, riding a bike on rough terrain is testing when 100%
alert and awake. When you've been awake for 28 hours and riding for 20
of them .. wow .. keen!

Good luck.

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Marx SS wrote:
> > >
> > > um, Pace yourself?

> > Hehehe, I figure if I do one lap an hour, that's 240km by the end of it.
> > That's a lot of mileage on the MTB, given my previous off-road max is
> > 100km, and on-road is 160km. So if I'm doing much more than one lap an
> > hour, I'll blow up - yes?

> Sounds possible. 240km on a MTB is a *very* long way. My very long
> ride experience is only 300km (Melb -> warrnambool RR), 10 hours. 24
> hours .. wow.

Good. I got laughed at when I said I was setting an upper limit of a lap
an hour, and happy to do, say, 2 in 3 hours, which is still 160km.
Obviously there will be more laps during the day than at night.
Obviously it'll be really funny going so slow and being happy with it,
pacing myself. I know that even pushing through hard double laps in the
6hr was off-putting and I was getting unco toward the end, so the key
will be lots of rest between laps.

> As you get tired, your concentration will go and so will co-ordination,
> if you have a mechanical problem you may struggle to fix it (even if
> it's really simple, like a puncture). Do you have spare wheels? A
> spare bike? (No, I'm not being silly!) A spare seatpost (that fits
> your bike!) and saddle? Spare brake pads (and anything else that may
> be different or unexpected that the race mechanics may not have spares
> of?) A big roll of duct or gaffa tape and a shitload of cable ties? :)

I am such a nerd! Yes, I have lined up a spare bike, complete. No spare
wheels except the ones on the spare bike, but spare spokes and tyres. If
I destroy two wheels, chances are I'm in no shape to ride anymore
either. Spare seatpost and saddle. Spare brakepads, gaffa tape and cable
ties, check! I've done well :)

> It's not like running, where as long as you can keep your eyes open you
> can still shuffle, riding a bike on rough terrain is testing when 100%
> alert and awake. When you've been awake for 28 hours and riding for 20
> of them .. wow .. keen!

You haven't done much trail running, have you ;-)
You shuffle, you fall.

I'm actually thinking I might nap during the 24hr, when I can drink no
more coca cola.

> Good luck.

Hehehehe. Gonna need it.

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> And lube - not just for the bike!

Hmmm... you'd need plenty for a 24 hour ride!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > Sounds possible. 240km on a MTB is a *very* long way. My very long
> > ride experience is only 300km (Melb -> warrnambool RR), 10 hours. 24
> > hours .. wow.

> Good. I got laughed at when I said I was setting an upper limit of a lap
> an hour, and happy to do, say, 2 in 3 hours, which is still 160km.

I usually work on a ratio of 2:1 road:mtb distances - this obviously
depends on the terrain, but we've found that most MTB riding is roughly
half the speed as road riding for the same percieved workload. So your
240km is very roughly equivalent to 480km on a roadbike in 24 hours.
Do-able, but a significant challenge indeed offroad.

> Obviously there will be more laps during the day than at night.
> Obviously it'll be really funny going so slow and being happy with it,
> pacing myself. I know that even pushing through hard double laps in the
> 6hr was off-putting and I was getting unco toward the end, so the key
> will be lots of rest between laps.

And eat. Eat early, eat often, eat non-stop. If you're riding in E1,
you'll be chewing through around 700-1000kcal per hour at a guess. For
24 hours, that's a -lot- of food. I assume you have a carbo load
program worked out? If not, consider this one :

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=carboload

You mention that you can't eat bananas, can you eat banana bread? What
other easily digested high energy (sugar!) stuff can you tolerate?

> > As you get tired, your concentration will go and so will co-ordination,
> > if you have a mechanical problem you may struggle to fix it (even if
> > it's really simple, like a puncture). Do you have spare wheels? A
> > spare bike? (No, I'm not being silly!) A spare seatpost (that fits
> > your bike!) and saddle? Spare brake pads (and anything else that may
> > be different or unexpected that the race mechanics may not have spares
> > of?) A big roll of duct or gaffa tape and a shitload of cable ties? :)

> I am such a nerd! Yes, I have lined up a spare bike, complete. No spare
> wheels except the ones on the spare bike, but spare spokes and tyres. If
> I destroy two wheels, chances are I'm in no shape to ride anymore
> either. Spare seatpost and saddle. Spare brakepads, gaffa tape and cable
> ties, check! I've done well :)

Excellent!

> > It's not like running, where as long as you can keep your eyes open you
> > can still shuffle, riding a bike on rough terrain is testing when 100%
> > alert and awake. When you've been awake for 28 hours and riding for 20
> > of them .. wow .. keen!

> You haven't done much trail running, have you ;-)
> You shuffle, you fall.

You can walk though, and even when dog-tired, halucinating and
twitching, still make progress.

> I'm actually thinking I might nap during the 24hr, when I can drink no
> more coca cola.

Heh, caffeine.... yes. Tricky to get the dosages right.

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > > Sounds possible. 240km on a MTB is a *very* long way. My very long
> > > ride experience is only 300km (Melb -> warrnambool RR), 10 hours. 24
> > > hours .. wow.

> > Good. I got laughed at when I said I was setting an upper limit of a lap
> > an hour, and happy to do, say, 2 in 3 hours, which is still 160km.

> I usually work on a ratio of 2:1 road:mtb distances - this obviously
> depends on the terrain, but we've found that most MTB riding is roughly
> half the speed as road riding for the same percieved workload. So your
> 240km is very roughly equivalent to 480km on a roadbike in 24 hours.
> Do-able, but a significant challenge indeed offroad.

It's not my goal distance! It's my "Danger, you're doing too much too
early!" distance :)

> > Obviously there will be more laps during the day than at night.
> > Obviously it'll be really funny going so slow and being happy with it,
> > pacing myself. I know that even pushing through hard double laps in the
> > 6hr was off-putting and I was getting unco toward the end, so the key
> > will be lots of rest between laps.

> And eat. Eat early, eat often, eat non-stop. If you're riding in E1,
> you'll be chewing through around 700-1000kcal per hour at a guess. For
> 24 hours, that's a -lot- of food. I assume you have a carbo load
> program worked out? If not, consider this one :
>
> http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=carboload

I don't really do carbo loading. When I've tried carbo loading, I've
ended up feeling sick and bloated from it. I'm aiming for just enough
carbs to keep the fat burning nice and efficiently. And there's nothing
I like MORE than eating while exercising. Solids, too, as gels and stuff
turn my gut after a few hours.

> You mention that you can't eat bananas, can you eat banana bread? What
> other easily digested high energy (sugar!) stuff can you tolerate?

I can't handle too much sugar, and I don't think I'll want it. I never
want sugar after about the 4th hour. I get headaches from large sugar
intake anyway. Where sugars are concerned, I will be going for
maltodextrin based products and may even take a big bag of the stuff for
putting in drinks. I'll probably have cake or donuts. I don't have any
problems digesting fat while exercising so there'll be peanut butter
sandwiches, etc, too.

> > > It's not like running, where as long as you can keep your eyes open you
> > > can still shuffle, riding a bike on rough terrain is testing when 100%
> > > alert and awake. When you've been awake for 28 hours and riding for 20
> > > of them .. wow .. keen!

> > You haven't done much trail running, have you ;-)
> > You shuffle, you fall.

> You can walk though, and even when dog-tired, halucinating and
> twitching, still make progress.

You haven't done much trail running, have you? ;-)
You hallucinate, you get lost. That's why we stop and get it together.

But yeah, that's why I'm planning a nap. Mostly to give the
concentration a rest. Good, not good? Ideas?

> > I'm actually thinking I might nap during the 24hr, when I can drink no
> > more coca cola.

> Heh, caffeine.... yes. Tricky to get the dosages right.

More is better, right?! Hehehehe.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=carboload

> I don't really do carbo loading. When I've tried carbo loading, I've
> ended up feeling sick and bloated from it. I'm aiming for just enough
> carbs to keep the fat burning nice and efficiently. And there's nothing
> I like MORE than eating while exercising. Solids, too, as gels and stuff
> turn my gut after a few hours.

Can you eat potatoes? (no, not chips!) When I did the Warny I took a
lot of fruitcake which worked well (it's chock full of sugar in various
forms), and I reckon chocolate muffins would work too, but didn't try
them. This year maybe ...

> > You mention that you can't eat bananas, can you eat banana bread? What
> > other easily digested high energy (sugar!) stuff can you tolerate?

> I can't handle too much sugar, and I don't think I'll want it. I never
> want sugar after about the 4th hour.

I'm not talking about a bag of sucrose fairy floss, but carbohydrates
in general.

I get headaches from large sugar
> intake anyway. Where sugars are concerned, I will be going for
> maltodextrin based products and may even take a big bag of the stuff for
> putting in drinks. I'll probably have cake or donuts. I don't have any
> problems digesting fat while exercising so there'll be peanut butter
> sandwiches, etc, too.

And nutella? :)

> > You can walk though, and even when dog-tired, halucinating and
> > twitching, still make progress.

> You haven't done much trail running, have you? ;-)
> You hallucinate, you get lost. That's why we stop and get it together.

heh :)

> But yeah, that's why I'm planning a nap. Mostly to give the
> concentration a rest. Good, not good? Ideas?

I can't comment, I have no idea :) I feel awful after a 2 hour sleep,
but that's just me.

> > > I'm actually thinking I might nap during the 24hr, when I can drink no
> > > more coca cola.

> > Heh, caffeine.... yes. Tricky to get the dosages right.

> More is better, right?! Hehehehe.

Depends on how much you like convulsing!

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Hey all,

<snip>

> I've got three people lined up to visit me, but I also have some mates
> who will be racing in teams, whose tents I might visit.
>
> So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.
>
> Tam

Beer. Lots of it. Just don't overdo it and drink half a case and wake
up at 10am the next day ...

Hang on ... you are doing it solo???

Beer does have carbs, right?

:)

Bleve wrote:

> When I did the Warny I took a
> lot of fruitcake which worked well (it's chock full of sugar in various
> forms),

Wot? Text messaging requires that much energy?

;)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got my bike ready. I've got a spare bike lined up, so I can just
> switch a wheel, or the entire bike if I have a major mechanical. I've
> got a stretcher bed and a a bivvy bag and a tent if I want it, and a
> whole lot of changes of clothes for all conditions. I'm still to go
> shopping for food but I've got a good idea of what I'll want, having
> done an all-night run before. I've got my lights (well, I need to
> collect them from Mum's place, but they're there) and my tools, although
> the race has a full workshop set up with tools for us to use as well
> (nice touch).
>
> I've got three people lined up to visit me, but I also have some mates
> who will be racing in teams, whose tents I might visit.
>
> So... your last-minute tips are appreciated.

spare lights?

are 1 minute noodles anygood? Thinking of easy to "cook" meals for
between lap races. Beter yet, take a cook {:)

gennie & kettle {:)

toilet paper? 2 full rolls, 1 in plastic bag and stub (don't ask - it is
mythology in this house abouta rogainer hash house discussion.