Last night's ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Started about 1900 and headed into the stiff SSW wind, so ended up on the banks of the Humber, near
    the bridge. I was in luck; there was a ship travelling east towards the North Sea, so I tagged
    along, easily matching its speed until I got to the city centre.

    No chicken walking comics this time, just barely clothed young lasses seemingly freezing to death
    in what passes for a skirt. Hmm, now where was I? Oh yes, by now it was around 2000 and I headed
    off to the site of the untimely death of the local bass player who was knocked off his bike a few
    days ago. Stopped at the bunches of flowers on the railings to pay my respects. The traffic was as
    aggressive as usual despite the poignant reminder.

    After 90 minutes I was really warmed up and bombing along at 20 plus mph. After a while I found
    myself near the site of another dead cyclist whose killers are in court at the moment, so we're
    waiting to see what sentence they get. Into a 20 mph zone next and it lifted my sprits to see a
    group of young lads playing Rugby in the street. They even said "sorry mate" as I braked to let
    them get out of the way.

    A bit further another young lad was cycling along wearing dark clothes and with no lights. As I
    passed him I heard him shout something, so I turned round. "How many lights have you got?" he said,
    noticing my flashing and non flashing sets of lights. "More than you've got" I said. He told me his
    had been stolen, then I told him about the cyclists that have been killed in the last week and
    suggested he tell his parents to buy him some more. He seemed sad at the deaths and he said he
    would get some more lights.

    It was about 2130 now and the local Morrisons would be closing soon, so I popped in. They had some
    Ruddles Organic bitter in there for 99p a bottle, so I got 3 of those and some Chinese pork chops
    to cook in the sauna. On the way back, a woman pulled up at a junction in her Beemer with no lights
    on, which I pointed out, much to the amusement of some bystanders who obviously thought it was an
    odd role reversal, a well lit cyclist , telling a car driver to get some lights on.

    All in all a very enjoyable Friday night ride of about 25 miles.

  2. > in her Beemer with no lights on, which I pointed out, much to the amusement of some bystanders who
    > obviously thought it was an odd role reversal, a well lit cyclist , telling a car driver to get
    > some lights on.

    :) Oh to have seen that!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:

    > knocked off his bike a few days ago. Stopped at the bunches of flowers on the railings to pay my
    > respects. The traffic was as aggressive as usual despite the poignant reminder.

    Given what you have previously said about the 20 zones, It does make me wonder whether cagers are
    becoming so incensed by these, they are compensating by driving *more aggressively* *outside* the
    zones? maybe its just coincidence but you do seem to be reporting a worrying number of fatal RTCs in
    Hull. Maybe its just that there are *more* cyclists in Hull than other parts of the UK...

    Perhaps its something the Police should be addressing?

    Alex

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Given what you have previously said about the 20 zones, It does make me wonder whether cagers are
    > becoming so incensed by these, they are compensating by driving *more aggressively* *outside* the
    > zones? maybe
    its
    > just coincidence but you do seem to be reporting a worrying number of
    fatal
    > RTCs in Hull. Maybe its just that there are *more* cyclists in Hull than other parts of the UK...

    We're 6th in the league table after Cambridge, York etc, but I was genuinely frightened during
    parts of my ride and think what you say might be true, that these drivers are so sick of all of the
    anti car measures, that when they get a bit of clear road, they go mad. I kept thinking it's only a
    matter of time before they get me. If I go out tonight I'm going off road, where I can relax.