Last time you fell right off your bike?

Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
Route 75.

Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".

Oh well.

When did you last fall of your bike?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:54:00 -0700, davidchase314 wrote:

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last Tuesday. Stelvio slicks are just no use at all on mud....

.... however the incident did create a tuit to get that mountainbike down
from the rafters of my garage and adjust it nearly to fit. It's OK that
the frame is 4" too big for me, my breeding days are over :-/

Mike

[email protected] wrote:

>When did you last fall of your bike?

February this year, clattering along the Strath Mulzie track after
walking up Seana Braigh. Feeling very confident that I had got this
off-road lark cracked on my twitchy Birdy, I came a cropper trying to
blast through a frozen puddle. The front wheel went the wrong way
round a rock and caught another one kicking it sideways. One
faceplant. Ow! Ow! Ow! Where am I? I'll get up in a bit...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
> Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
> such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

one,
About 1 year ago, trying to put my water bottle back. Suddenly realised I
was dangerously close to the kerb,
so had a one handed attempt at leaning away from the kerb with the bike, but
towards the pavement with my body.
It wasn't going to happen - I lost all my orientation and clattered across
the path and rolled onto the verge.
My water bottle went down a ditch. Me and the racer were well departed. I
jumped up quick as a flash grabbed
the bike and started looking at it. Any passing motorist would have thought
I had stopped and was checking
something over (rather than recovering from an embarrassing fall).
Fortunately the bike was unscathed.

two,
About 2 years ago (this is getting regular) I was lagging behind 2 friends,
it was teeming down and i overdid it
on a tight bend. The back wheel lost traction and that was it. I called out
to my 'comrades' who didn't hear me, I
watched them disappear round the next bend. They finally realised I was gone
about 5 miles down the road and waited.
I tore the bar tape and scratched the pedal this time. Plus gained an
amusing bruise to show off the next day.

That's it for the road, mountain bike is expected so not listed !

Brian Day

[email protected] wrote:
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
> Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
> such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

On the mountain bike, every ride. Mostly slides caused by wet roots and
rocks, the odd over-the-bars and every now and then I'll catch the bars
on a tree which will spin me off.

On the road bike, I took a bad one about 4 years ago, sprinting away
from the lights my chain decides to break sending me tumbling down the
tarmac. Nothing broken, but a fair bit of road rash and bleeding and
almost a long **** walk home. My wife found it amusing enough to blog
about it...

http://www.chookooloonks.com/chookooloonks/2006/08/a_story_from_th.html

But comparing serious (almost requiring professional treatment) crashes
either on the mtb or road bike it's about 5 each.

Laters,

Marz

[email protected] wrote:

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last autumn, right outside my house at 0.5mph whilst trying out my new
recumbent :(
Fortunately it was dark and I don't think the neighbours saw me ;)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
> Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
> such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

Around two years ago. Out on a very early Sunday morning ride
the right hand crank started splitting at the pedal, so that the
pedal ended up at a skewed angle. Because of the skew, the pedal
and toe-clip wouldn't clear the ground with my foot on top, and so
being about eight miles from home, and tiring of trying to pedal
one legged, I gingerly cycled home with the left foot in the
left hand clip and strap*. Then the inevitable happened. About
a mile from home I had to come to a complete stop at a T junction,
and of course, naturellement, I couldn't get my foot out of the
skewed clip in time. And so over I went - in slow motion - until I
finally hit the ground with a thump. A bit of a bash along
the thigh, sore for a while, but nothing really serious. It's just
fortunate there was no-one around to witness my having to disentangle
myself while lying horizontally in the middle of the road. Or for that
matter, that there were no cars around at that time of the morning
to come screaming around the junction. My only real memory of the bad
winter of 1963 is of coming off onto hard packed snow, on a corner about
a mile in the other direction.

michael adams

* Total stupidity in other words. Anyone with half a brain would presumably
have taken off the strap and flattened or wrenched off the toe-clip.
The only component on the bike not fixed with allen bolts and so not
worth an extra spanner.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last spring.

Cycling down Guildhall Road in a line of traffic. Not quite looking what is
going on -- or, more accurately, observing something more interesting on the
pavement (aka she's tasty!). Everything is going at less than walking pace
when the car in front stops without warning, need or explanation.

I am too close, can't get unclipped (not sure why) -- TIMBER.

Cue general laughter.

A classic prat fall.

September 2001, setting off first thing downhill on a hired bike in a small
place in Hungary, when the sudden appearance of a car led to the belated
discovery that continental bikes have their brakes wired up the opposite
way round to British ones. Sent myself somersaulting impressively straight
over the handlebars in full view of a good score or so of onlookers.
Reconstructing the incident from the evidence afterwards, I realised that
the bike had, in turn, gone somersaulting over me, clouting me in the process.

Annoyingly, the very next day I discovered that the incident had not
triggered my muscle memory at all, when I set off first thing from the next
port of call on my route and performed exactly the same stunt. At
least there was no-one around to see it that time. Because it was
absolutely pelting down with rain.

Every morning thereafter, my routine checks included applying each brake
gently in turn so as to reinforce the correct association. At the end of
the week I took a photo of myself displaying the various sizeable bruises
I'd given myself, which were still very much in evidence. Not exactly
"Home is the Road Warrior", but anyway. I've never shown it to anyone.

--

Ian

To e-mail me, restore my initials to their proper place.
Ian is my middle name.

[email protected] wrote:
> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last serious "come off" was about two years ago,have had "lots" of minor
falls/"come offs" etc.

Was going along Princes street (a main road in Edinburgh) the bungees on
the rear rack fell into the backwheel freezing it totally causing the
bike to skid. Tthis happened in front of a bus luckily I fell towards
the pavement whilst the bike slid/skidded further into the road into
then under the bus, luckily it avoided the wheels, I dragged the bike
out from under the bus waving lots of apologies to the driver who looked
really shaken up, freed the cords from the back wheel "adjusted" the
supports of the rack and rode off, about two mins later and in Lothian
road reaction set in and I was shaking almost uncontrolably and decided
to walk the rest of the way home

--
This space intentionally left blank.

[email protected] wrote:

> When did you last fall off your bike?

July 25th 2004. Having successfully outsprant Messrs. Fleming & Setter
after almost, but not quite, 29 laps of Castle Combe, I approached Camp
Corner with considerable gusto. On the right, diligently sticking to the
edge of the track, was Colin Chadfield's Trice Micro, whom I was about to
lap for the fifth time. So I moved out a bit to pass him, at which juncture
Cosimo seemed to display a marked reluctance to continue negotiating the
corner. Perhaps the track was a bit greasy - I was crossing the tail of the
starting grid and there'd been a light shower earlier in the race - or
perhaps I was just trying too hard.

I realised I had three options available:

1. Attempt to make Cosimo turn the corner anyway. This, I reasoned, would
make him fall over and, from bitter experience garnered at Eastway some two
months previously, would result in an unpleasant loss of parts of Mr.
Larrington against the nasty hard abrasive tarmac.

2. Continue on the then-current trajectory and hope for the best. This,
however, could well have resulted in 100+ kg of Cosimo & Mr Larrington
charging into the spectating Clan Goodman at 50 km/h, which would have been
unlikely to do either them or me much good.

3. Straighten up, hit the brakes and head for the grass.

I chose # 3, and managed to lose a fair bit of kinetic energy before
mounting the greensward. However, a locked front wheel on damp grass... and
down I went, in a cursing heap, right at the feet of my grate frend Dai
Infidel and her husband, Mr. Infidel. Messrs. Setter and Fleming, laughing
themselves silly, went on to bag first and second unfaired while I picked my
sorry carcass off the deck and pushed Cosimo over the line for third.

Bah!

At least I was undamaged, and was able to extract BEER from the back of the
motorcar, load up, drive home, have a bath and dinner, and listen to Loud
Music[1] with no ill-effects.

Until the following morning, when I awoke unable to move my left arm without
making all sorts of undignified howling noises. I /had/ to go into the Nut
Mines, however, as the place had been powered-off over the weekend and I was
the only employee with sufficient mastery of Babbage-SCIENCE to reboot the
Alpha box. The remainder of the week was mostly spent in bed, with an added
dose of Growing Old Disgracefully in the A&E department of Whipps Cross
hostipal, where they told me it wasn't broken and prescribed some
weapons-grade painkillers.

Which unfortunate state of affairs obliged me to miss that year's Dunwich
Dynamo.

Bah encore!

1 - <URL:http://www.amplifiertheband.com>

--
Dave Larrington
If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something

[email protected] wrote:
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
> Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
> such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...6/USPROcrit06/USPROcrit063/DS06_eliteWomen_03

shows how it should be done
ouch

soup <[email protected]> wrote:

> Was going along Princes street (a main road in Edinburgh) the bungees on
> the rear rack fell into the backwheel freezing it totally causing the
> bike to skid. Tthis happened in front of a bus luckily I fell towards
> the pavement whilst the bike slid/skidded further into the road into
> then under the bus, luckily it avoided the wheels, I dragged the bike
> out from under the bus waving lots of apologies to the driver who looked
> really shaken up

Why? If the bus driver had been driving a safe distance behind you s/he
wouldn't have needed to be shaken, but instead could have calmly dealt
with the situation.

Daniele

Mar 2005. Road bike. On a slight incline up a dual carriageway about 06:30
in the dark. Hit a plank in the road (possibly discarded from a van/lorry)
which flipped the bike and I in a 90 degree tilt to the right of expected
position. All over in an instant, and if I remember I was still pedaling
right up to hitting the deck.

Luckily, no traffic behind due to time of day.

Trashed my lights and my shorts. Left plenty of thigh carpaccio on the road.
[Both Helmut and MP3 player unmarked]

Road rash took an age to heal. Bought better lights.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right over.
> Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds, saying
> such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

Pootling along the path from Corrour to Luibeg in the Cairngorms. This
is transected by gullies which are faced on either side by large rocks.
Some are narrow and easy to ride across. Some are big with the far side
much higher than the near side so you walk them.

Some fall in between. I was riding a fully rigid MTB with high pressure
1.3" slicks, one pannier and a rucksack after a weekend walking in the
lairig ghru.
I found one that wasn't rideable and ended up dodging the rocks as I
fell.

No damage done, but I was a bit more cautious.

A bit later, steepish descent. There is a group doing path maintenance
(installing more bike traps) so I have the rear brake on to just slow
me down a bit and the front on a tad as well. Then the rear wheel drops
out of the frame and jams, and I end up vaulting the handlebars -
almost.

That was probably one of those days when it would have been advisable
to be wearing a helmet. As it was, my wooly hat saved my life.

...d

D.M. Procida wrote:
> Why? If the bus driver had been driving a safe distance behind you
> s/he wouldn't have needed to be shaken, but instead could have calmly
> dealt with the situation.

Not defending bus drivers.
Have you ever seen Princes' street? If he had been driving any further
behind me somebody would have nipped in the space he had left
Princes' street is a lot easier these days as cars are banned in both
directions, a couple of years ago cars where only banned going west to
east unfortunately I was travveling east to west.
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup045898350655.jpg

--
This space intentionally left blank.