Last time you fell right off your bike?

Two weeks ago on Lydden racing circuit near Dover -- came round a tight bend
with my pedal down, and whack! Scabs everywhere, and a very painful neck
(still).

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Not since Saturday.

On the cycle path throogh Greenock, there's a tight right turn onto a
bridge. I'd had to cycle round a woman and her dog and tried to get onto the
bridge at a less than optimum angle. Front wheel gets onto slippy edge,
front wheel takes off on its own. Me thinks 'I've got this under control',
followed almost instantly by me slapping ground.

No injury involved, but the onlookers were highly amused....

[email protected] wrote:

> When did you last fall of your bike?

daren't say, fate reads .cycling.

did 25 miles offroad yesterday, in which my mate crashed 4 times and I
dabbed a foot once. :)

> When did you last fall of your bike?

1996ish. Slow right turn, front wheel slips on patch of diesel and down I
go. Would've been ok if I hadn't looked where I was going (down) and so
headbutted the tarmac.

in message <[email protected]>, Phil Clarke
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> When did you last fall of your bike?

> daren't say, fate reads .cycling.

You are so right. I used to post (honestly) to this group that I hadn't
fallen off a road bike for thirty-mumble years, failure to unstrap or
uncleat pratfalls excepted. Then, last autumn, I did, and spend a month
in hospital and three months in a brace. Don't tempt fate.

;; lovely alternative to rice.

[email protected] wrote:

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last December on the South Bucks Winter Warmer audax. I was in last
place due to an Unfortunate Series of Events including a late start, a
puncture, catching up with Peter Turnbull and therefore getting
extremely lost, and another puncture.

Shortly after the second puncture I felt a need to check my pannier.
The verge looked hard so I casually pulled over to it, but in the dark
I didn't notice the kerb and met it firmly with both rims at about 10
mph. Splat. No damage other than a sprained wrist that took a few
months to clear up.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:

> I didn't notice the kerb and met it firmly with both rims at about 10
> mph. Splat. No damage other than a sprained wrist that took a few
> months to clear up.

and [of the Essex tape-across-the-path booby-trap followed by a beating
incident]:

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> In all seriousness, this is a disgustingly cowardly attack. Okay, it was a
> random attack but does make me consider taking up some sort of martial art.
> I'd like to see how brave they are when one is down with a broken arm and
> I'm ready for the next.

I always have to stop and think for a minute when I read about abput
people hurting their hands or wrists when they fall - I almost can't
imagine that happening to me, and I would no more try to stop a fall
with my hands than my face. Taking up the right kind of martial art does
have one very clear advantage: you learn how to fall in such a way that
it become second-nature to do so neatly and painlessly.

It does in fact work on the bike too. I fall off quite a lot, sometimes
sideways, sometimes over the handlebars. I never injure anything more
serious than my dignity.

A few years ago I was running, pretty much at top speed, on the
pavement, and tripped over a loose flagstone. I went flying, but thanks
to my advanced falling-down abilities automatically tucked into a neat
roll, came back up to my feet and continued running. It must have looked
as though I'd done it on purpose. I can still see the open-mouthed face
of the teenaged boy who was standing almost in front of me as I came up.

Daniele

On 24/08/2006 18:08, D.M. Procida said,

> Taking up the right kind of martial art does
> have one very clear advantage: you learn how to fall in such a way that
> it become second-nature to do so neatly and painlessly.

I did Judo many, many years ago, and the diving headfirst over a group
of people thingy was one I enjoyed. There's probably a proper name for
it, but buggered if I can remember it now. Anyway, a few years after
that I decided to ride into a cardboard box in the road, as you do (I
was probably in my early teens then). Bike stopped, I didn't, and
automatically tucked up nicely and rolled a not inconsiderable distance
down the road. Gosh - that instinct is a very handy one to have...

> A few years ago I was running, pretty much at top speed, on the
> pavement, and tripped over a loose flagstone.

....so a couple of years ago I was running at top speed in the rain with
a heavy back-pack on and wearing walking boots, and didn't notice a kerb
dropping away. After the cartoon running-in-mid-air bit, I fell flat on
my face and slid along for a not inconsiderable distance on my side,
cracking a few ribs in the process. So much for Judo instincts staying
with me :-( Oh, and the sliding took me through a puddle, so I had a
wet drive home. I didn't even dare look at the queue of people at the
bus stop!!!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Boxing Day 2004 or the day after. Freezing cold day, everyone indoors
except me getting some fresh air. Cycling along the path in the park,
thinking intensely about something, paying very little attention to the
world around me. Suddenly out of nowhere came a dog, charging like a bullet
towards the path, and it ran straight into my front wheel so I fell over
sideways. Injuries were one bruised elbow from where it hit the path, and
one very dazed looking dog. Dogs owner came running up and was most
indignant that I wasn't wearing a h****t, but shut up when I pointed out
that the head that needed protecting belonged to the dog, as I hadn't hit
mine.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

[email protected]
> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last fell *right* off some time early 90s - rode off the edge of the
road surface (inattention), tipped over trying to swerve back onto it.

Last fell off onto my feet (bike remained upright too) either when
I shunted a car or another cyclist shunted me, earlier this summer.

in message
<1hkl5wo.1tlj1ay1j436ccN%[email protected]>,
D.M. Procida ('[email protected]') wrote:

> dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I didn't notice the kerb and met it firmly with both rims at about 10
>> mph. Splat. No damage other than a sprained wrist that took a few
>> months to clear up.

> and [of the Essex tape-across-the-path booby-trap followed by a beating
> incident]:
>
> elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In all seriousness, this is a disgustingly cowardly attack. Okay, it
>> was a random attack but does make me consider taking up some sort of
>> martial art. I'd like to see how brave they are when one is down with
>> a broken arm and I'm ready for the next.

> I always have to stop and think for a minute when I read about abput
> people hurting their hands or wrists when they fall - I almost can't
> imagine that happening to me, and I would no more try to stop a fall
> with my hands than my face. Taking up the right kind of martial art
> does have one very clear advantage: you learn how to fall in such a way
> that it become second-nature to do so neatly and painlessly.

My niece has become a fairly serious exponent of tae kwon do, or however
you spell it. Admittedly it's not a particularly fally-downy sort of
martial art, and admittedly she took it up mainly to improve her balance
and movement (she's an actor). But she gets a great deal of enjoyment
out of it as a social activity, and it has improved her general fitness
amazingly.

If I were her age I might try something similar.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

dkahn400 wrote:

> Last December on the South Bucks Winter Warmer audax. I was in last
> place due to an Unfortunate Series of Events including [...] catching up
> with Peter Turnbull and therefore getting extremely lost [...]

Now that really /is/ unfortunate ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.

D.M. Procida wrote:
> dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I didn't notice the kerb and met it firmly with both rims at about 10
> > mph. Splat. No damage other than a sprained wrist that took a few
> > months to clear up.

> I always have to stop and think for a minute when I read about abput
> people hurting their hands or wrists when they fall - I almost can't
> imagine that happening to me, and I would no more try to stop a fall
> with my hands than my face. Taking up the right kind of martial art does
> have one very clear advantage: you learn how to fall in such a way that
> it become second-nature to do so neatly and painlessly.
>
> It does in fact work on the bike too. I fall off quite a lot, sometimes
> sideways, sometimes over the handlebars. I never injure anything more
> serious than my dignity.

You're being a bit presumptious. I practised judo for many years,
including training with the British squad at one stage. I also did 5 or
6 years of Yoshinkan Aikido fairly intensively, and I've taken
thousands of falls without injury, both on the mat and on bare floors.
Learning how to fall does give you an advantage but it's not a
guarantee. Injuring your wrist doesn't necessarily mean you put your
hand out to break your fall.

--
Dave...

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 24/08/2006 18:08, D.M. Procida said,
>
> > Taking up the right kind of martial art does
> > have one very clear advantage: you learn how to fall in such a way that
> > it become second-nature to do so neatly and painlessly.

> I did Judo many, many years ago, and the diving headfirst over a group
> of people thingy was one I enjoyed. There's probably a proper name for
> it, but buggered if I can remember it now.

In judo we always called it "forward rolling breakfall". In Aikido it's
"zempo ukemi".

--
Dave...

dkahn400 said the following on 25/08/2006 14:21:

> In judo we always called it "forward rolling breakfall". In Aikido it's
> "zempo ukemi".

That's the bunny! (The former, at any rate!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

[email protected] whizzed past me shouting

>When did you last fall of your bike?

Haven't been off for weeks - tomorrow I'll see if I can pull a wheelie
on my own front lawn - that should do it.

--
Sue ];:))

"Sue White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] whizzed past me shouting
> >
> >When did you last fall of your bike?

Back in May. Front wheel slid out on a corner during a criterium: broken
collar-bone, road rash down left side, bursitis in left hip, bent forks,
buckled wheels, broken helmet etc.

Tom.

In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> When did you last fall of your bike?

Last December on black ice.

Then someone crashed a van into a pole outside our house, killing himself
and destroying the pole, the transformer mounted on it, our ADSL router,
ADSL filter, modem, 2 compact fluorescent lights, PIR lightswitch, a
telephone and BT's telephone socket. One carpet and our microwave oven
where also damaged. The telephone exchange survived unharmed.

--
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4
No to software patents! Victory to the iraqi resistance!