Last time you fell right off your bike?

[email protected] wrote:

> When did you last fall off your bike?

A couple of years ago, riding across Granchester Meadows in Cambridge.
The path here has a succession of narrow cattle grids expressly
installed for cyclists. It was raining and I took one of them at a
funny angle, probably changing direction slightly as I rode over the
grid.

I slipped right over, catching my rear mech in the grid and wrecking
the rear-drop-out. I wasn't even bruised, but I had to send the bike
away to Bob Jackson in Leeds to have a new drop-out fitted.

I believe Cambridge City Council have since started replacing the bars
on the cattle grids within their area with new ones which have a
threaded pattern to reduce the risk of skidding. Not sure whether
Grantchester Meadows is within the City boundary, though, so these may
remain as hazardous as ever

PaulO

Dave Larrington wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> When did you last fall off your bike?

> July 25th 2004.

Correction: August 26th 2006 :-(

Setting off on the Mildenhall 300, it was apparent that the car park exit
was straight on along an avenue of trees. This was, however, the footpath,
and was separated from the rightward-bound road by an unseen kerb, at
forty-five degrees to the line of travel. Bang!

I am now an older, wiser and mildly road-rashed Mr Larrington, though I
/did/ straighten the bike and continue the ride.

--
Dave Larrington
Drugs are good, except when they kill you.

on Friday 23 June around 5:55pm on the A41 Hendon Way heading
Northbound just before the traffic-light junction with The Vale.

There was a queue of traffic up to the light including a bus so to get
to the front I decided to head for the pavement route via the bus
layby. Only I didn't notice that the edge of the bus layby where it
meets the main road was actually bricked - so wasn't prepared for it,
obviously took the wrong angle and lost control.

Ended up flat down in the bus layby, but was able to pick myself up and
continue. Just had to straighten up the wheel.

Last December on a patch of black ice on a corner. Broken ribs and, three
months later, prostatitis, which can apparently be caused by " trauma during
physical activity, especially cycling."

Steve

[email protected] wrote:
> Happened a few years ago just past Dalmarnock Bridge in Glasgow on the
> Route 75.
>
> Tried to avoid this big group of neds by cycling right around them. I
> clipped the cycle track when I got in front of them. Tipped right
> over. Just a few knee scrapes. Cue hilarious laughing from the neds,
> saying such things are "LOOK AT THA STATE AH 'IM!".
>
> Oh well.
>
> When did you last fall of your bike?

On the way home from work today, trackstanding at traffic lights, decide to
put foot down, forgot foot was clipped in.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

AndyMorris <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

>> When did you last fall of your bike?

>On the way home from work today, trackstanding at traffic lights, decide to
>put foot down, forgot foot was clipped in.

So perish all clever b4st4rds who do trackstands at traffic lights!

--
Sue ];:))

I always wanted to be somebody. I should've been more specific.

Sue White wrote:
> AndyMorris <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>>>
>>> When did you last fall of your bike?

>> On the way home from work today, trackstanding at traffic lights,
>> decide to put foot down, forgot foot was clipped in.
>>

> So perish all clever b4st4rds who do trackstands at traffic lights!

Yer really clever git times it right so he doesn't have to trackstand, but
hits the lights at 110 rpm just right in time space and velocity to drop
into the gap opening up between 1st and 2nd car.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

in message <[email protected]>, Sue White
('[email protected]') wrote:

> AndyMorris <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>>>
>>> When did you last fall of your bike?

>>On the way home from work today, trackstanding at traffic lights,
>>decide to put foot down, forgot foot was clipped in.
>>

> So perish all clever b4st4rds who do trackstands at traffic lights!

Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
few seconds.

Anyone know any exercises/therapy to improve balance?

;; I can't work yanks out......
;; Why do they frown upon sex yet relish violence?
;; Deep Fried Lettuce

[email protected] wrote:

> Last December on a patch of black ice on a corner. Broken ribs and, three
> months later, prostatitis, which can apparently be caused by " trauma during
> physical activity, especially cycling."

Last December on a psyclepath, trying to avoid an aggressive Alsatian
dog on a surface of wet leaves. Didn't hurt at the time, but left minor
grazing and a stiff neck for 6 weeks afterwards.

I can cope with bad surfaces, but not bad surfaces *and* dogs. I now
avoid all psyclepaths.

In article <[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

|> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
|> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
|> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
|> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
|> also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
|> few seconds.

How few? Under 5? If so, see a doctor and get your middle ear checked
out. I can do only about 2-3, but I have virtually no middle-ear function.

|> Anyone know any exercises/therapy to improve balance?

There aren't any exercises, despite claims, but there are treatments for
some of the conditions that cause poor balance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] (Nick Maclaren) writes:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
>|>
>|> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
>|> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
>|> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
>|> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
>|> also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
>|> few seconds.

>How few? Under 5? If so, see a doctor and get your middle ear checked
>out. I can do only about 2-3, but I have virtually no middle-ear function.

>|> Anyone know any exercises/therapy to improve balance?

>There aren't any exercises, despite claims, but there are treatments for
>some of the conditions that cause poor balance.

But exercises can train the muscles that maintain balance so they correct
a disturbance earlier before it becomes uncontrollable. I have become much
better standing on the toes of one feet by doing it regularly over the
summer.

Roos

Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed

> in message <[email protected]>, Sue White
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

> > AndyMorris <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

> >>On the way home from work today, trackstanding at traffic lights,
> >>decide to put foot down, forgot foot was clipped in.
> >>

> > So perish all clever b4st4rds who do trackstands at traffic lights!

> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
> also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
> few seconds.

> Anyone know any exercises/therapy to improve balance?

No.
You obviously try things to push your balancing skills anyway.

I speculate that injuries to your back and the muscles that brace and
balance it might be a factor.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Nick Maclaren wrote on 05/09/2006 14:38 +0100:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
> |>
> |> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
> |> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
> |> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
> |> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
> |> also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
> |> few seconds.
>
> How few? Under 5? If so, see a doctor and get your middle ear checked
> out. I can do only about 2-3, but I have virtually no middle-ear function.

As I understand it, and as someone in the same zone, what Simon is
finding is typical of ageing.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

in message <[email protected]>, Nick Maclaren
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
> |>
> |> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
> |> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
> |> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
> |> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it.
> |> I also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a
> |> very few seconds.
>
> How few? Under 5?

Definitely.

> If so, see a doctor and get your middle ear checked
> out. I can do only about 2-3, but I have virtually no middle-ear
> function.

Thanks, that's useful. I'll follow it up.

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed
>

>> in message <[email protected]>, Sue White
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> > AndyMorris <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

>> > So perish all clever b4st4rds who do trackstands at traffic lights!

>> Twenty years ago I used habitually to trackstand at traffic lights,
>> because I couldn't be bothered to unstrap. Now I can't trackstand at
>> all, even for a few moments. I presume this is aging, and it doesn't
>> seem to affect my balance on a moving bike, but... I don't like it. I
>> also can't stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than a very
>> few seconds.

>> Anyone know any exercises/therapy to improve balance?

> No.
> You obviously try things to push your balancing skills anyway.
>
> I speculate that injuries to your back and the muscles that brace and
> balance it might be a factor.

Well, I have broken my back twice in the past six years, but it appears
to be a 99% recovery; I'm pretty much as strong and as flexible as I was
before the first crash, and very rarely have back pain.

((DoctorWho)ChristopherEccleston).act();
uk.co.bbc.TypecastException: actor does not want to be typecast.
[adapted from autofile on /., 31/03/05]

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote on 05/09/2006 22:18 +0100:
>>
>> As I understand it, and as someone in the same zone, what Simon is
>> finding is typical of ageing.

> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_4_20/ai_87353194

H'mmm... interesting.

Can stand on one foot with eyes open until I get bored - certainly
several minutes, possibly indefinitely. Close eyes and I lose balance
within two or three seconds. Same with one foot in front of the other.
From another exercise, I can't balance on just the ball of one foot (heel
and other foot off the ground) at all.

I'll talk to my doctor about whether there may be an inner problem.

;; Diplomacy, American: see Intelligence, Military