Last weekend on the Moselle

M Series

Guest
Well my £3.99 Ryanair flight went well, arrived early Terry was waiting for
me. Drove to his house via Poison bikes (he is thinking of getting one) had lunch. Went out for a
quick 25 miles up a 6km climb out of the valley and down a horrendous descent with cobbles at
the bottom ! Quick blast along the river back to Cochem. Saturday was raining all day so we
stayed in and fixed his computer. Sunday we drove to Belgium for Liege-Bastogne-Liege. Saw the
race on the Cote de Wanne, Wannerval and Cote de la Redoute (only just). Watched the end on TV
in a bar - well done Tyler Hamilton. Drove up the Cote de la Redoute, Stockeau to see the Eddy
Merckx statue had mussels and chips in Stavelot. Drove back to Germany to see the end of
Heartbeat on satellite TV. I'd really like to spend some more time in the Ardennes, we'll do a
better trip next year as we know the lay of the land now, and get a ride in. Monday: did a 15
miler, packed up and came home on my 99p flight. Dissappointed with the weather on Saturday,
hoped to get a few more miles in but good to see my friends again.

Great weekend but showed how my level of fitness is behind Terrys.

"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I took my summer commuter on the plane at a charge of £15 each way !

Thanks. What preparation is required for the bike to be shipped as luggage with Ryanair??
Cheers Graham

I have a proper fabric bike bag, I cover my frame tubes in pipe lagging and tie my wheels to the
frame using strips of cloth cut from an old T-shirt. I remove my pedals and QR skewers to make the
whole package as narrow as possible.

Once I booked my ticket I checked the terms and conditions for luggage and then phoned up to book my
bike on. At Stansted I had to carry the bike to the oversize X-ray machine then off it went. At
Frankfurt they inspected it manually, in my presence, by getting me to un-zip the bag.

All of this is pretty standard stuff when flying with a bike. I wouldn't like to take my best bike
though, one never really knows how it gets bashed around and buried under other peoples luggage.

Martin

news:[email protected]...