Last Years Cycles ? worth it ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

    I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i have
    found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)

    All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for
    130 pounds ?

    Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?

    Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle shops
    seem to quote this price so i guess not

    Ta

    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 10 Jun 2003 13:57:48 -0700, [email protected] (Andy) wrote:

    >I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

    Generally a Good Idea, as long as the price is right

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Andy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    >
    >I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i
    >have found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)
    >
    >All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for
    >130 pounds ?
    >
    >Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?
    >
    >Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle shops
    >seem to quote this price so i guess not
    >
    >Ta
    >
    >Andy
    My wife has this year's FCR2 and I can't see any difference apart from the colour. She thinks it's a
    great bike and regularly does a 32 miles round trip commute on it. You should ride one before buying
    one online.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Andy deftly scribbled:

    > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i
    > have found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)
    >
    > All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for 130
    > pounds ?
    >
    > Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?
    >
    > Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle
    > shops seem to quote this price so i guess not
    >
    > Ta
    >
    > Andy

    As with many things, last years models are possibly out of fashion and may have a different colour
    scheme .. This only really matters if you're so 'hip cool and groovy' that things like fashion
    matter. If the frame / componentry specs are the same, why spend more ?

    My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  5. >My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)

    Ah,Digweed, you are now "retro cool" and in fashion.

    Cheers, helen s (a fashion icon herself, it's just the rest of the world doesn't know it)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
    > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

    Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years and
    be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the 2004. ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  7. John B

    John B Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
    > > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    > >

    > Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
    > and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
    > 2004. ;-)

    _Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?

    And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?

    John B

  8. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX deftly scribbled:

    >> My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)
    >
    > Ah,Digweed, you are now "retro cool" and in fashion.

    Heheheh, I would seriously doubt that .. but it'd be nice to think so .. maybe ;)

    --
    Digweed

  9. In message <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
    >Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
    >> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    >> >

    >> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
    >> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
    >> 2004. ;-)
    >
    >_Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?

    Yes.

    >And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?

    You know because it's not last year's or any previous year's.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  10. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
    > > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    > >

    > Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
    > and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
    > 2004. ;-)

    Ah yes, but then they may well have the odd 2002 one left, with even more knocked off the price tag!
    Decisions, decisions....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  11. In message <[email protected]>, David E. Belcher
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
    >> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
    >> >

    >> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
    >> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
    >> 2004. ;-)
    >>

    >Ah yes, but then they may well have the odd 2002 one left, with even more knocked off the price
    >tag! Decisions, decisions....

    With a Giant compact frame available in S, M or L you would imagine it would be easier to buy a
    previous year's model that fits than other makes.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  12. John B

    John B Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > In message <[email protected]>, John B <jpb.des[email protected]> writes
    >
    > >_Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?
    >
    > Yes.
    > >
    > >And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?
    >
    > You know because it's not last year's or any previous year's.

    Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
    Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
    ride the latter.

    John B

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], John B <[email protected]> typed:

    > Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
    > Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
    > ride the latter.

    You've just stumbled on probably the strongest arguement for bicycles being licensed - so you can
    have a number plate to show off having the latest model year bike ;-P

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  14. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:22:19 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
    >Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
    >ride the latter.

    But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the
    individual
    > >years of Giants, Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on

    > But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

    And there was I thinking that the average 15-year-old never got furhter than the inside cover photo
    of Kelly Salone...

    --
    Guy
    ===

  16. John B

    John B Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:22:19 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
    > >Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and
    > >I ride the latter.
    >
    > But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

    Damn. Rumbled.

    John B