Last Years Cycles ? worth it ?

Andy

Guest
I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i have
found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)

All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for
130 pounds ?

Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?

Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle shops
seem to quote this price so i guess not

Ta

Andy

On 10 Jun 2003 13:57:48 -0700, [email protected] (Andy) wrote:

>I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

Generally a Good Idea, as long as the price is right

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In message <[email protected]>, Andy
<[email protected]> writes
>I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
>
>I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i
>have found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)
>
>All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for
>130 pounds ?
>
>Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?
>
>Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle shops
>seem to quote this price so i guess not
>
>Ta
>
>Andy
My wife has this year's FCR2 and I can't see any difference apart from the colour. She thinks it's a
great bike and regularly does a 32 miles round trip commute on it. You should ride one before buying
one online.
--
Michael MacClancy

Andy deftly scribbled:

> I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
>
> I'm looking at buying a Giant FCR 2, the retail price for the 2003 model is 575 quid, however i
> have found the 2002 model for 435, this is from a website called "e-cobr" (www.e-cobr.co.uk)
>
> All the details look the same, the paint job is different, so i dont see much additional for 130
> pounds ?
>
> Is there any disadvantage in doing such a thing ?
>
> Additionally is there anywhere i can find the 2003 model cheaper that the RRP ? all the cycle
> shops seem to quote this price so i guess not
>
> Ta
>
> Andy

As with many things, last years models are possibly out of fashion and may have a different colour
scheme .. This only really matters if you're so 'hip cool and groovy' that things like fashion
matter. If the frame / componentry specs are the same, why spend more ?

My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)

--
Digweed

>My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)

Ah,Digweed, you are now "retro cool" and in fashion.

Cheers, helen s (a fashion icon herself, it's just the rest of the world doesn't know it)

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
> I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.

Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years and
be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the 2004. ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Tony Raven wrote:

> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
> >

> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
> 2004. ;-)

_Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?

And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?

John B

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX deftly scribbled:

>> My bike's over 10 years old, it was never actually 'in' fashion as far as I know .. ;)
>
> Ah,Digweed, you are now "retro cool" and in fashion.

Heheheh, I would seriously doubt that .. but it'd be nice to think so .. maybe ;)

--
Digweed

In message <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
>> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
>> >

>> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
>> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
>> 2004. ;-)
>
>_Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?

Yes.

>And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?

You know because it's not last year's or any previous year's.

--
Michael MacClancy

news:<[email protected]>...
> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
> >

> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
> 2004. ;-)

Ah yes, but then they may well have the odd 2002 one left, with even more knocked off the price tag!
Decisions, decisions....

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

In message <[email protected]>, David E. Belcher
<[email protected]> writes
>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In news:[email protected], Andy <[email protected]> typed:
>> > I'm after people's opinions on buying a 2002 model bike rather than going for a 2003 model.
>> >

>> Well you could always hold off until next year when this years model will have become last years
>> and be discounted. But then you would have to decide whether to go for this years model or the
>> 2004. ;-)
>>

>Ah yes, but then they may well have the odd 2002 one left, with even more knocked off the price
>tag! Decisions, decisions....

With a Giant compact frame available in S, M or L you would imagine it would be easier to buy a
previous year's model that fits than other makes.
--
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
>
> >_Are_ there really people who must have the current year's model?
>
> Yes.
> >
> >And if so, how do the rest of us know whether it is or not?
>
> You know because it's not last year's or any previous year's.

Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
ride the latter.

John B

In news:[email protected], John B <[email protected]> typed:

> Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
> Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
> ride the latter.

You've just stumbled on probably the strongest arguement for bicycles being licensed - so you can
have a number plate to show off having the latest model year bike ;-P

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:22:19 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
>Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and I
>ride the latter.

But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

"Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the
individual
> >years of Giants, Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on

> But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

And there was I thinking that the average 15-year-old never got furhter than the inside cover photo
of Kelly Salone...

--
Guy
===

Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:22:19 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Blimey, I thought I was reasonably up on biking, but I can't tell the individual years of Giants,
> >Cannondales, Bianchis, Treks, and so on, let alone those like Trice, Roberts or Bike Friday, and
> >I ride the latter.
>
> But then you're not 15 and read nothing other than MB UK

Damn. Rumbled.

John B