Late 80's Cannondale Criterium frame

rdanskin

Jan 13, 2004
I have a bike that I bought in the late 80's, I love the stiffness of it and am considering upgrading the components, wheels, etc... I have a new Cannondale r700, with the red, white and blue design. It is a very good bike, with a triple, but I rode my old criterium frame the other day, on the CHILLY HILLY, on Bainbridge Island, WA. I fell in love with the frame, it was like the old days, complete with shifters on the down-tube, anyway, I would like some comments on upgrading components. I am considering putting a carbon fiber fork on it to soften the ride just a bit

Any comments????

Originally posted by rdanskin
I would like some comments on upgrading components. I am considering putting a carbon fiber fork on it to soften the ride just a bit

Any comments????
The rear dropouts are likely 126 if it's 7 speed and current hubs for 8,9, and 10 speed are 130. Aluminum doesn't like being spread. That's the skinny on components. If the fork is cromo with a box crown,you may be kidding yourself about 'softening' the ride, but you can save alot of weight with an all carbon fork and light bar and stem. Like many others,if you spend alot of money you'll likely also be convinced there is a 'softening' benefit too.

Thanks for the headsup on the rear spacing, it came with a 6 speed and now I am using a 7 speed.

Originally posted by boudreaux
The rear dropouts are likely 126 if it's 7 speed and current hubs for 8,9, and 10 speed are 130. Aluminum doesn't like being spread. That's the skinny on components. If the fork is cromo with a box crown,you may be kidding yourself about 'softening' the ride, but you can save alot of weight with an all carbon fork and light bar and stem. Like many others,if you spend alot of money you'll likely also be convinced there is a 'softening' benefit too.