Late Garlic Dinner Tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
    demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
    things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
    felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    Tags:

  2. KevinS

    KevinS Guest

    ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:

    <snip>

    > Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    > - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    > spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
    time do you mean by "late"?

    For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
    partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
    few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
    Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
    depressing to me.

    I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "KevinS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    >> - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    >> spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    > I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
    > time do you mean by "late"?
    >
    > For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
    > partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
    > few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
    > Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
    > depressing to me.

    So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
    Dee Dee

  4. KevinS

    KevinS Guest

    Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:

    > So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
    > Dee Dee

    Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
    about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
    it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
    Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.

    As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
    between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
    apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
    to 8:00 pm.

    And you??

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "KevinS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:
    >

    >> So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
    >> Dee Dee

    > Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
    > about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
    > it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
    > Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.
    >
    > As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
    > between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
    > apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
    > to 8:00 pm.
    >
    > And you??

    I grew up with the words: breakfast, dinner and supper; so I was just
    joshing you a little.

    But for me and my meal times, there is only one clock in my head and it has
    been there as long as I can remember. I'm damned hungry at 4pm in the
    afternoon. It doesn't matter whether I have a snack and tea, or a full
    meal and wine at that time; as long I get thru that 4pm set time. Then I can
    eat later or not at all; snack later or not at all. But 4pm is my
    bewitching hour.
    Dee Dee

  6. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "KevinS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    > > - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    > > spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    > I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
    > time do you mean by "late"?
    >
    > For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
    > partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
    > few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
    > Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
    > depressing to me.
    >
    > I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

    Just to be way overdramatic, my wife gets *really* grumpy if dinner is
    planned for later than 6PM. Sometimes it is later, but don't ever plan
    it that way unless you are ready for the grumps.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  7. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    KevinS wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    >>- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    >>spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    > I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
    > time do you mean by "late"?

    Between 8 and 9 pm. We normally aim for between 6:30 and 7:30 pm.

    > For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
    > partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
    > few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
    > Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
    > depressing to me.

    We ate around 6 pm when the kids were younger but as they got to be
    teenagers it got pushed back later. I think a lot of people with young
    kids tend to eat earlier to leave time for things like playtime, baths,
    storyreading, and homework before the kid's bedtime. When ours were
    young as in pre-teens bedtime was 8 pm. Early teens it became 9 pm and
    by age 15 it was 11 pm so it's easy to see how you need an earlier
    dinnertime with an earlier bedtime for the kids.

    > I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

  8. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    KevinS wrote:

    > Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:
    >

    >>So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
    >>Dee Dee

    > Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
    > about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
    > it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
    > Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.

    I tend to use dinner for the last big meal of the day regardless of the
    time but generally between 5 and 9 pm depending on the day.

    > As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
    > between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
    > apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
    > to 8:00 pm.

    Breakfast for me is around 6:30 am, between 11:30 and 1, dinner between
    6:30 and 7:30. A late dinner is between 8 and 9 pm. I find meal times
    vary with the seasons as well with summer being more flexible and winter
    with earlier dinners.

    > And you??

  9. Jude

    Jude Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    \
    > We ate around 6 pm when the kids were younger but as they got to be
    > teenagers it got pushed back later. I think a lot of people with young
    > kids tend to eat earlier to leave time for things like playtime, baths,
    > storyreading, and homework before the kid's bedtime. When ours were
    > young as in pre-teens bedtime was 8 pm. Early teens it became 9 pm and
    > by age 15 it was 11 pm so it's easy to see how you need an earlier
    > dinnertime with an earlier bedtime for the kids.
    > >
    > > I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

    My daughter would inevitably wake up hungry around midnight when she
    was small. We changed dinnertime from 6-ish to 7:30 PM. She has to do
    all her stuff beforehand - homework, chores, playtime, time with pets,
    etc. Dinner's at 7:30, then she has time for a quick shower or bath and
    time to pick out tomorrow's clothes. Dessert, a story, then bed by
    8:45.

    I have trouble when we eat with the BF';s mom, who likes to have dinner
    by 5:30. I find myself hungry again around 11. If we eat later, I can
    hanve my dessert as late-night snack and be fine at bedtime. Then
    again, I don't eat breakfast; I usually have lunch around 1. My
    metabolism is slow to wake up!

  10. On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:26:42 -0500, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
    >demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
    >things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
    >felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    >- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    >spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    Patches,
    Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?

    Thanks,
    Jane

  11. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:26:42 -0500, ~patches~
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
    >>demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
    >>things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
    >>felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    >>- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    >>spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    > Patches,
    > Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jane

    Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    and 1/2 olive oil.

  12. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:55:30 -0500, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:26:42 -0500, ~patches~
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
    >>>demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
    >>>things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
    >>>felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
    >>>- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
    >>>spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

    >> Patches,
    >> Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jane

    >Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    >garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    >about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    >garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    >Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    >salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    >and 1/2 olive oil.

    Thanks so much! I'm fat, so the instructions, above, will be for one
    person ;)

    I may make that this evening. Again, thanks!

    Jane Hudson

  13. >
    >Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    >garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    >about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    >garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    >Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    >salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    >and 1/2 olive oil.

    Patches,
    I forgot to ask you this in the previous post: after using the
    garlic press to extract the essential oils, do you think it would be
    ok or no to take the leftovers you've just pressed and cut them up
    fine and add them also?
    You may also want to try and add, after you have plated the above, a
    few red pepper flakes. Very good and you control the intensity by the
    amount you add.

    Thanks,

    BabyJane Hudson

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    >>Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    >>garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    >>about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    >>garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    >>Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    >>salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    >>and 1/2 olive oil.

    > Patches,
    > I forgot to ask you this in the previous post: after using the
    > garlic press to extract the essential oils, do you think it would be
    > ok or no to take the leftovers you've just pressed and cut them up
    > fine and add them also?

    Umm, the garlic press doesn't extract the essential oils. It simply
    presses the garlic cloves through saving you from having to cut them up.
    It is a lot easier and quicker when you are doing a lot and you get
    more flavour because of the increased surface area.

  15. BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:55:30 -0500, ~patches~
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    >>>Patches,
    >>> Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Jane

    >>Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    >>garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    >>about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    >>garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    >>Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    >>salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    >>and 1/2 olive oil.

    > Thanks so much! I'm fat, so the instructions, above, will be for one
    > person ;)
    >
    > I may make that this evening. Again, thanks!
    >
    > Jane Hudson

    For something a little richer use baked or roasted garlic to taste in a
    simple white sauce.
    ---
    JL

  16. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:25:20 -0500, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    >
    >>>Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
    >>>garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
    >>>about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
    >>>garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
    >>>Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
    >>>salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
    >>>and 1/2 olive oil.

    >> Patches,
    >> I forgot to ask you this in the previous post: after using the
    >> garlic press to extract the essential oils, do you think it would be
    >> ok or no to take the leftovers you've just pressed and cut them up
    >> fine and add them also?

    >Umm, the garlic press doesn't extract the essential oils. It simply
    >presses the garlic cloves through saving you from having to cut them up.
    > It is a lot easier and quicker when you are doing a lot and you get
    >more flavour because of the increased surface area.

    What I go to the doctor and he screams at me for not losing any
    weight, again this month, I'm going to tell him not to scream at me,
    scream at Patches as it is Patches Garlic sauce that did it to me!

    ;)
    Jane