Lateral play in rear wheel - how much is OK?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by allenpg, Feb 10, 2005.

1. allenpg

allenpg New Member

I just repacked and relubed my back hub. I noticed that my rear wheel has slight play (less than 1 mm) when fit back on the bike. I didn't have this before. I've repacked hubs before and some of my wheels (mountain bike) have had minor play. If I adjust my cones any tighter, the wheel doesn't turn.

Any ideas to what might be the cause or don't i need to worry?

Thanks for the help!
    -Pete

Tags:

2. jasong

jasong New Member

How tight is your quick release? It should have a bit of play when the QR is at 45 degrees from closed, but no play when tightly fastened. Getting the cones adjusted to this point is the fun part and expedited by something like the stein axle vise or clamping the wheel to a drop out or something else of adequate thickness (ie. a few cone wrenches through their hang hole) to simulate the loading of the QR.

I don't know, but am also curious, what the long term effects are of this play.

3. xbgs351

xbgs351 New Member

See the Park Tools website for detailed instuctions.

What did the bearing balls and cones look like?

4. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

This reminds me of something I read years ago about a non BMW mechanic contacting BMW to find out the spec for allowable play in the steering when performing a wheel alignment. The BMW people were shocked that the question was even asked and the response was "none".

TD

5. allenpg

allenpg New Member

The cones and bearings were fine. I used Zinn's book as a guide and looked at the Park website. I think I'll try readjusting.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

I'd settle for a little play rather than having any excess preload drag which will slow you down and cause wear in the bearing. In my experience, a barely-perceptable bit of play won't hurt anything at all.

7. daveornee

daveornee New Member

You should not feel any bearing "knock" when side loading and the QR is properly tensioned.

8. allenpg

allenpg New Member

No play, thanks for all of the advice. Followed the steps on the Park Tool website.