Latest sentencing outrage...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Howard, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Back on the roads of Airstrip One, the latest sentencing outrage...

    You might recall the case of Hull cyclist Michael Little who died after being run down by 'hit and
    run' killer driver Tony Redfern. At the time Redfern, driving a BMW, was racing his cousin, Lee
    Barker who was driving an RS Turbo. Redfern crashed when he lost control whilst doing over 70 MPH in
    a 30MPH zone. Redfern also had no licence, insurance etc. and alreay had convictions for a 'hit and
    run' and other driving offences.

    Well, Redfern got a mediocre 6 year sentence for causing death by dangerous driving (the maximum
    possible being 10). Now that has been reduced on appeal to just 4 1/2...

    Yup, the UK courts seem to have no will to protect vulnerable road users from even the most
    anti-social drivers.

    From Hull Daily Mail Monday December 1 2003.

    Drivers six-year jail term reduced.

    Hull. An unlicenced and speeding driver who was jailed after an accident in which a cyclist died has
    had his prison term reduced. The Court of Appeal heard Tony Redfern of North Road, Hull. has shown
    "an appalling, selfish and reckless disregard for the safety of others."

    Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But the
    23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly excessive" and
    the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years. Redfern, who has never passed a driving test, has a
    previous conviction for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    Tags:

  2. Howard wrote:
    > Back on the roads of Airstrip One, the latest sentencing outrage...
    >
    > You might recall the case of Hull cyclist Michael Little who died after being run down by 'hit and
    > run' killer driver Tony Redfern. At the time Redfern, driving a BMW, was racing his cousin, Lee
    > Barker who was driving an RS Turbo. Redfern crashed when he lost control whilst
    <snip>
    >"an appalling, selfish and reckless disregard for the safety of others."
    >
    > Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    > dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But
    > the 23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly
    > excessive" and the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years. Redfern, who has never passed a
    > driving test, has a previous conviction for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    I am not in the least bit suprised.

  3. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

    "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Back on the roads of Airstrip One, the latest sentencing outrage...
    >
    > You might recall the case of Hull cyclist Michael Little who died after being run down by 'hit and
    > run' killer driver Tony Redfern. At the time Redfern, driving a BMW, was racing his cousin, Lee
    > Barker who was driving an RS Turbo. Redfern crashed when he lost control whilst doing over 70 MPH
    > in a 30MPH zone. Redfern also had no licence, insurance etc. and alreay had convictions for a 'hit
    > and run' and other driving offences.
    >
    > Well, Redfern got a mediocre 6 year sentence for causing death by dangerous driving (the maximum
    > possible being 10). Now that has been reduced on appeal to just 4 1/2...
    >
    > Yup, the UK courts seem to have no will to protect vulnerable road users from even the most
    > anti-social drivers.
    >
    > From Hull Daily Mail Monday December 1 2003.
    >
    > Drivers six-year jail term reduced.
    >
    > Hull. An unlicenced and speeding driver who was jailed after an accident in which a cyclist died
    > has had his prison term reduced. The Court of Appeal heard Tony Redfern of North Road, Hull. has
    > shown "an appalling, selfish and reckless disregard for the safety of others."
    >
    > Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    > dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But
    > the 23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly
    > excessive" and the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years. Redfern, who has never passed a
    > driving test, has a previous conviction for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    what a lovely man http://www.hullbar.demon.co.uk/mbury.html

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    > dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But
    > the 23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly
    > excessive" and the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years. Redfern, who has never passed a
    > driving test, has a previous conviction for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    Of course. How can it possibly be right to jail someone with previous convictions for that long when
    all they were doing was a bit over double the limit and they hardly killed anyone? It was an
    /accident/, after all.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    > dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But
    > the 23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly
    > excessive" and the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years.

    "Manifestly excessive"! <Splutter><Spluter> Manifestly excessive for an "an appalling, selfish and
    reckless disregard for the safety of others." resulting in someone's death? Bastard! He should have
    been charged and banged up for manslaughter. 4½ years is not enough! So much for the Court of
    Appeal. Seems magistrates had more sense for once.

    Rich

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Howard posted ...

    > Redfern pleaded guilty at Hull Crown Court in June to causing the death of Michael Little by
    > dangerous driving. He was jailed for six years and banned from driving for the same period. But
    > the 23 year old's barrister, Mark Bury, successfully argued the sentence was "manifestly
    > excessive" and the court reduced it to four-and-a-half years. Redfern, who has never passed a
    > driving test, has a previous conviction for failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    Jeez, 'manifestly excessive' ... isn't that what manslaughter (murder?) ought to be ? Oh sorry, the
    deceased was only a cyclist ..

    You know, it really makes me ashamed to admit to being a 'petrol-head' and loving all things
    power-driven .. the bastard (and his barrister) really needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies
    cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a blunt thing.

    --
    Digweed .... ;)

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    jamie g wrote:

    > what a lovely man

    Scary thing is, in a system where someone with previous convictions who kills a cyclist through
    negligent driving gets a small fine and is allowed to keep their licence desite hitting the points
    limit, you probably could argue that this sentence is excessive.

    So, he'll be back on the roads in under three years is my guess.

    I propose that his goolies are cut off.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:

    > "Manifestly excessive"! <Splutter><Spluter> Manifestly excessive for an "an appalling, selfish and
    > reckless disregard for the safety of others." resulting in someone's death? Bastard! He should
    > have been charged and banged up for manslaughter. 4½ years is not enough! So much for the Court of
    > Appeal. Seems magistrates had more sense for once.

    Deaths too good for him. Bloody cycling on the road. Its not as if he pays road tax or anything.
    Should be on the bloody cyclepath. Ruined the race it did what with having to stop and fill in all
    those forms. Was on for a personal best race time an' all.

    Tony ;-^)

  9. news:[email protected]... .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    > needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a
    > blunt thing.

    That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    jamie g wrote:

    > what a lovely man

    Scary thing is, in a system where someone with previous convictions who kills a cyclist through
    negligent driving gets a small fine and is allowed to keep their licence desite hitting the points
    limit, you probably could argue that this sentence is excessive.

    So, he'll be back on the roads in under three years is my guess.

    I propose that his goolies are cut off.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:

    > "Manifestly excessive"! <Splutter><Spluter> Manifestly excessive for an "an appalling, selfish and
    > reckless disregard for the safety of others." resulting in someone's death? Bastard! He should
    > have been charged and banged up for manslaughter. 4½ years is not enough! So much for the Court of
    > Appeal. Seems magistrates had more sense for once.

    Deaths too good for him. Bloody cycling on the road. Its not as if he pays road tax or anything.
    Should be on the bloody cyclepath. Ruined the race it did what with having to stop and fill in all
    those forms. Was on for a personal best race time an' all.

    Tony ;-^)

  12. news:[email protected]... .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    > needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a
    > blunt thing.

    That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  13. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:09:12 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Of course. How can it possibly be right to jail someone with previous convictions for that long
    >when all they were doing was a bit over double the limit and they hardly killed anyone? It was an
    >/accident/, after all.

    He didn't kill anyone. Cyclists are not human after all, they are all lentil munching nuts that
    should be exterminated.

  14. David Hansen

    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Of course. How can it possibly be right to jail someone with previous convictions for that long
    >when all they were doing was a bit over double the limit and they hardly killed anyone? It was an
    >/accident/, after all.

    He didn't kill anyone. Cyclists are not human after all, they are all lentil munching nuts that
    should be exterminated.

  15. Scrumpyjoe

    Scrumpyjoe Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:00:50 +0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > news:[email protected]... .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    >> needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a
    >> blunt thing.
    >>

    > That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?
    > ___
    > Michael MacClancy

    With his knackers cut off it would make him less aggressive and competitive...

  16. Aye, so we'll poke both his eyes oot as well! Wi' a rusty spoke!

    Robert

    > .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    > > needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a blunt
    > > thing.

    > That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?

  17. Scrumpyjoe

    Scrumpyjoe Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:00:50 +0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > news:[email protected]... .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    >> needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a
    >> blunt thing.
    >>

    > That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?
    > ___
    > Michael MacClancy

    With his knackers cut off it would make him less aggressive and competitive...

  18. Aye, so we'll poke both his eyes oot as well! Wi' a rusty spoke!

    Robert

    > .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    > > needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with something blunter than a blunt
    > > thing.

    > That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep him off the road, does it?

  19. "ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:00:50 +0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >

    > > news:[email protected]... .. the bastard (and his barrister) really
    > >> needs his, to borrow a phrase, goolies cut-off, slowly and with
    something
    > >> blunter than a blunt thing.
    > >>

    > > That might satisfy some barbarian need for revenge but it doesn't keep
    him
    > > off the road, does it?
    > > ___
    > > Michael MacClancy
    >
    > With his knackers cut off it would make him less aggressive and competitive...

    He might develop a taste for someone else's goolies to replenish his testosterone.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

    news:[email protected]...