Laugh if you want: I never learned how to ride a bike...

You're not old to learn how to ride a bike, there's no age for that. Just try to learn as hard as possible, ask for help from someone experienced already and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Never too late to learn though :) There are lots of private open areas near you I bet, you can just get a good bike and start there! Nothing too embarrassing about that, but if you really want to learn, you gotta start soon.

When I was a kid I borrowed my friend's bike and learned on my own. I thought I would never learn that quick. That served as my motivation to continue practicing each day until I mastered balancing my stiff body and learned to let loose of my firm grip.

No worries! It is never too late to learn how to ride or do anything! Heck my friend actually is 40 and he still doesn't know how to ride a bike. It's never too late and don't be ashamed of it!

Well, first of all, I would suggest that you rent to start out, and make sure that the bike fits you. Keep in mind your height and weight. Long legs, short legs...long arms? Short? etc. A reputable and responsible bike renter or dealer would know how to fit you to the correct size bike. You will want a bike that feels comfortable, and I don't mean just the seat either. The whole thing needs to feel right so that you have the confidence to try it out. Secondly, as someone else mentioned above, I would have a friend help you learn to ride. This is the same concept as when a small child learns... someone hangs on to the seat and helps balance the bike for a few paces until you find your own balance. The best advice of all, I think, is to just do it. Get it into your head that you can ride and then you will.

Why would anyone laugh at you, after all no one is born knowing how to ride. Better late then never that's what I say. To get you started off maybe renting would be a good idea. Just take it easy and if you have a friend you can trust that will help, you will be riding in no time at all.

Do you think that riding a bike is a tough task? Well, it's really easy to ride a bike. You can learn it within one or two days. My grandfather taught me when hen I was 10 years.

Last edited:
Cheer up mate. I never learned to swim. It is not a rare thing and you can learn if you want. It is very easy and like with most things the block is in your brain. You will have to relax and just try if you want. I just do not like swimming and my reason is just that but if you like riding a bicycle there is nothing on your way to stop you. Just go for it.

It's nothing to be ashamed about, and it's never too late to learn. I'd advise you to rent and learn before purchasing a bike. I think mountain bikes are the more versatile bikes and what most folks who start out cycling prefer to ride. But it's totally up to you. Perhaps you can rent different bikes and see what you feel more comfortable riding.

Well it's not too late, and I think it's much more easier for you to learn that right now. I'm not good in teaching all I can say is, good luck.

Renting a bike for the moment while you are learning to ride is a good idea. And the best and easiest way to learn is to familiarize yourself with the bike. Sit on it for a time until your butt and hands get familiar with the touch. And then try to move a bit without using the pedal. The idea is to discern if you are not scared anymore because as long as you have the apprehension, you will have a difficult time in learning.

So I'm 25 and never learned... now I really want to get a bike and just well, go bicycling... seems like it'd give a great sense of freedom that even a car can't give me.

Any advice on what I should do at this point? BUY a bike? Rent and learn? What kind of bike should I buy for my first bike?

There is need for you to get a friend that should at least teach you some basics on how to ride for that is very important in order to help you plan it well. I've always tell people that riding is not something that is easy in as much as we see those that ride bikes.

Learning how to ride a bike isn't all that hard. But learning how to deal with the emotions of learning to ride one especially, at an older age can be tough. Fortunately, once you start, you'll only get better with time. Don't rush to learn everything in one day. Take it slow and eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Been 10 years now since the original post, I'm guess the OP should know by now! :D

Well, if you are barely learning how to bike, then for sure you want to learn properly before getting a pro bike or a very fancy one, otherwise you will be crashing all over the floor with it. You can do renting, and once you feel comfy with it, then you can ask your friends to help you out by using their bikes. Before doing an investment on a very good bike, you have to be able to handle one, and once you make the decision to get your own one, then you will be able to ask for everything you want in a bike at the store.