Laurent Fignon No Longer Alive

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by genedan, Aug 31, 2010.

1. genedan

genedan New Member

Tags:

2. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

What is it with seppos banging on about 1989 every time the name Fignon is brought up? Maybe if he didn't have a giant oozing pustule on his ar5e he wouldn't have lost that Tour by 8 seconds?

The man won two Tours, a Giro, two Milan-Sanremos, a Fleche Wallonne and a GP des Nations among a long list of wins. Fignon's career is one of the more interesting and exciting careers in the sport.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Aye, Classic, he was a superb rider.

Hi real glory period was when he was part of the Renault team in 1983/1984 : he was preactically unbeatable was Fignon.

In an era when you probably had more of the alltime greats riding together compared to any other era, Fignon was able to beat Hinault/Delgado/Roche/Kelly/LeMond/Anderson.

Of course 1989 TDF is probably the memory that most people have of Fignon.

I'm just looking at a book about the 1984 season and Fignon is riding across the Alps with Moser and Mottet.

RIP Laurent.

4. lance_armstrong

I still remember that epic comeback by LeMond. I had very mixed feelings. The patriotic part of me was elated that LeMond had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. A bigger part of me felt that Fignon had succumbed to trickery. It was very easy at the time to empathize with Fignon's plight, and play the endless 'what if' scenarios in my head. I can't imagine what he must have gone through after that defeat.

Not to take anything away from LeMond's ride. It was a case of strategy and technology prevailing against the odds. He still had to back up aero gear with a superb physical performance. It was certainly a major turning point in professional cycling.

RIP Laurent

5. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

rip for one of the greats. he was a part of my favorite era in cycling and was one of the really colorful characters among many that made the 80's so great. he had a great attacking style and likable arrogance about him. a shame that he died so young.

6. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

What kind of a 'fitting message' is that you ignorant f**k? If you're going to take the opportunity to chastise Fignon in death, at least you could get his biggest advisary's name correct - LeMond - and the fact that not wearing an aerohat was a bigger sin than that pony tail. But I digress.

It might not have been his moment of biggest glory but maybe it's just a shining example of his will and spirit too win - his stage win to La Plagne in the 87 Tour, most famously remembered as the stage that Roche almost caught Delgado and saved the Tour. Fignon attacked pretty early on in the stage and came to grief, at speed, on the first descent with Fignon pulling himself out of a ditch and spectators pulling his bike out of a tree... Undettered, Fignon got back on his bike and proceeded to win the stage taking the victory from Chosaz while using a freaking hurculean gear - something like 53x17. Epic.

Even after being cheated out of the Giro win in 84, his record was one that most riders could only dream of:

1982 Renault-Elf-Gitane 1st, Critérium International

1983 Renault-Elf-Gitane [​IMG] 1st Overall, Tour de France (and stage 21 win) Stage, Tirreno–Adriatico Stage, Critérium International Stage, Vuelta a España

1984 Renault (Gitane) [​IMG] 1st Overall, Tour de France (and stage 7, 16, 18, 20 and 22 wins) [​IMG] 1st mountains classification, 2nd Overall, Giro d'Italia (and stage 20 win) [​IMG] French National Road Race Championships

1986 Systeme U (Gitane) 1st, La Flèche Wallonne Stage, Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

1987 Systeme U (Gitane) Two stages, Paris–Nice 3rd Overall, Vuelta a España (and stage) 7th Overall, Tour de France (and stage 21 win)

1988 Systeme U (Gitane) 1st, Milan – San Remo Stage, Critérium International 1st, Paris–Camembert

1989 Super U (Raleigh) [​IMG] 1st Overall, Giro d'Italia (and stage 20 win) 1st, Milan – San Remo 2nd Overall, Tour de France (Combativity award and stage 18 win) 11 days in maillot jaune (stages 10-20) 1st Overall, Ronde van Nederland 1st, Grand Prix des Nations

1990 Castorama (Raleigh) 1st, Critérium International

1991 Castorama (Raleigh) 6th Overall, Tour de France

1992 Gatorade (Bianchi) 23rd Overall, Tour de France (and stage 11 win)

1993 Gatorade (Bianchi) 1st Overall, Ruta Mexico

RIP The Professor.

You might have left us behind, Laurent... but you'll not be forgotten.
    [​IMG]

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I remember well the sadlle problems he had in the TDF and the close loss.Way too young to die.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I met Fignon in the toilet of the Carrick Hotel in Carrick on Suir in December 1994.

Fignon/Hinault/Merckx/Alcala/Da Silva and whole bunch of other pros were over for Sean kelly's last ever race.

Fignon had been trying to chat up my wife in the bar at the after race function.
    He said "is she your wife, you're a very lucky man if she is".
    I told him to piss off with his charming French ways.
    In fairness, he laughed about it.

Funny memory thinking about it now.

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Fignon should have won the Giro/TDF double in 1984.

The Iti's fixed the Giro result for Moser.

10. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

quite possibly, my favourite stage of that tour. fignon going off with a grand attack so like the days long past, a wonderful thumb to the eye of the tactics which now dominate the grand tours, and a fitting reminder that even in what would be a defeat, he still rode like the tour champion he was.

well put, swampy. complete agreement.

11. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Panache. Fignon had it in spades. One of the most exciting attacking riders in the last 25 years. To my mind only Pantani was as exciting.

12. genedan

genedan New Member

Alright, jokes aside, I want to make it clear that I like the guy and it's time for me to say some pleasant-sounding things about Fignon:

I was (almost) not alive at the time, but from what I hear the man found success during an era of cycling with one of the heaviest concentrations of talent, beating the badger and lemond at a very young age.

After retirement he remained active in cycling and continued to work for the cycling media while he battled cancer. He is a champion of the sport and will be missed.

13. mrfrogger

mrfrogger New Member

Sad news indeed. He was just before my time but I read his book only recently and was surprised at his palmares and enjoyed the way his charm and arrogance and came across.

Hopefully we'll see a few zany attacks from the French riders tomorrow in tribute!

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

For those of you who have read Fignons book - does Fignon discuss Hinault?

15. Chapeau!

Chapeau! New Member

Yes he does, quite a bit. He discusses competing against him, the rivalry & a lot about his time when riding with Renault & riding alongside Hinault.

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks

Interesting.

Rumour has it that they hadn't spoken for years and only became reconciled in recent years.

I must get that book.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I thought that this was nice - to mark Fignon's untimely passing here is an interview in French that both he and Greg LeMond did
    three years ago.

Enjoy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuA_3cQ31r4&feature=related]YouTube - Greg LeMond au Vélo Club - 17 Juillet 2007 (in french)[/ame]

18. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I've been driving all day and just heard the news of Fignon's passing. I never got to see him ride other than highlights as he was a bit before my time, but his victories are impressive to say the least. He performed at a high level in GT's, stage races and classics. He will be missed.

19. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Greg LeMond is everywhere, sure am sick of the guy.

20. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Great story:)