"lazy" corned beef

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rosie, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw it
    in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
    spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"rosie" <readandpost> fesses up:
    >
    >i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw it
    >in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
    >spices and simmer all day.

    Besides a total waste of a good piece of meat that's
    disgustingly gross... you looking for a medal or
    condolences?

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. " rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
    > it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet
    > of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

    I do that too on occasion. I only add about 1 cup of water
    though and that is plenty.

    Charlie

  4. Gmajaskol

    Gmajaskol Guest

    no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled
    better,more tender,and better flavor. stores just pawn off
    poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for profits

  5. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-13, rosie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
    > it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet
    > of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

    I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for
    about 1 hour.

    nb

  6. I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with
    cabbage. It was yummmmmy!!!!!

    Summerbreeze

  7. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
    > marbled
    better,more
    > tender,and better flavor.

    does everyone agree with this?

  8. "GMAJaskol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
    > marbled better,more tender,and better flavor. stores just
    > pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for
    profits

    Flank is an expensive cut these days. Most supermarket and
    deli corned beef I know of is brisket. That is the cut I
    prefer. Others prefer round. Never seen corned beef made
    from flank - that I know of.

    Charlie

  9. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "notbob" wrote in message >
    rosie wrote:
    > > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
    > > it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add
    > > packet of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly
    > > every time.
    >
    > I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for
    > about 1 hour.
    >
    > nb

    There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website
    for pressure cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready
    to try it when I fix corned beef again. Sheldon - your
    recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how the pressure
    cooker version turns out.

    Dora

  10. Doug Cutler

    Doug Cutler Guest

    So did I:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

    Recipe By : Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Course

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
    ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 pound small carrots 2 medium onions -- sliced 2 1/2
    pound corned beef brisket -- (2 1/2 to 3) 1 cup
    unsweetened apple juice
    2/4 cup light brown sugar packed 2 teaspoon lightly
    shredded orange peel 6 whole cloves 2 teaspoons
    prepared mustard 6 cabbage wedges

    Place carrots and onions in slow cooker. Rinse corned beef
    and pat dry, Place on top of onions. Combine apple juice.
    brown sugar, orange peel, cloves and mustard. Pour over the
    meat. Place cabbage wedges on top. Cover, cook on Low 10-12
    hrs, High 5-6 hrs.

    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - "Wendy
    Udelhoven" <SummerWJB-
    [email protected]> wrote
    in message news:13403-4059BB64-
    [email protected]
    3315.bay.webtv.net...
    > I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with
    > cabbage. It was yummmmmy!!!!!
    >
    > Summerbreeze

  11. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    " rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
    > > marbled
    > better,more
    > > tender,and better flavor.
    >
    > does everyone agree with this?

    I'd be amazed if anyone did.

    pavane

  12. Captcook

    Captcook Guest

    " rosie" wrote..
    > > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
    > > marbled
    > better,more
    > > tender,and better flavor.
    >
    > does everyone agree with this?

    It has been several years since I was involved but we used
    rounds and took the time to let it cure. With a flat the
    time to let the spices reach the center is less. Normally
    the time was 21 days.

  13. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    sheldon, what CUT of corned beef do you prefer? flat? round?

    --
    read and post daily, it works! rosie

    republicans are the party that says government doesn't work,
    and then get elected and prove it. .........................
    p. j. o'rourke

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m20.aol.com...
    > >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable
    > >website for
    pressure
    > >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try
    > >it when I
    fix corned
    > >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm
    > >curious to
    see how
    > >the pressure cooker version turns out.
    > >
    > >Dora
    >
    > Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting,
    > veggies will
    disintergrate and
    > the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be
    > inedible. Let
    us know.

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
    > UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
    > would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation."

  14. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website
    > >for pressure cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm
    > >ready to try it when I fix
    corned
    > >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm
    > >curious to see how the pressure cooker version turns out.
    > >
    > >Dora
    >
    > Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies
    > will disintergrate
    and
    > the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be
    > inedible. Let us know.
    >
    > Sheldon

    I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for
    just 5 - 7 minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a
    great one for trying new recipes that usually bomb. We'll
    see - I'm using your recipe with which to compare it, so
    it's probably already doomed.

    Dora

    Dora

  15. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-18, limey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for
    > just 5 - 7 minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a
    > great one for trying new recipes that usually bomb. We'll
    > see - I'm using your recipe with which to compare it, so
    > it's probably already doomed.

    That's the 3rd time I've seen that recipe at SurHiTab.
    It's also in my Kuhn Rikon cookbook and on the Cooks
    Illustrated website.

    Well anyway, I just finished up the corned beef I've been
    munchin' for the last 3 days. It came out real nice. I
    didn't go for all the veggies, only wanting cabbage. I
    cooked the corned beef in 1 C water and added the cabbage at
    the very end and only cooked it for 5 mins. The beef was
    exquisitely tender and the cabbage was just right. I reduced
    the water to 1 C because I didn't want to leach out all the
    flavor. I still had plenty of liquid left. I think I'll try
    just 1/2 C of water next time.

    nb