"lazy" corned beef

Rosie

Guest
i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw it
in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

>"rosie" <readandpost> fesses up:
>
>i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw it
>in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
>spices and simmer all day.

Besides a total waste of a good piece of meat that's
disgustingly gross... you looking for a medal or
condolences?

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

" rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
> it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet
> of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

I do that too on occasion. I only add about 1 cup of water
though and that is plenty.

Charlie

no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled
better,more tender,and better flavor. stores just pawn off
poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for profits

On 2004-03-13, rosie <[email protected]> wrote:
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
> it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet
> of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly every time.

I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for
about 1 hour.

nb

I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with
cabbage. It was yummmmmy!!!!!

Summerbreeze

> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
> marbled
better,more
> tender,and better flavor.

does everyone agree with this?

"GMAJaskol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
> marbled better,more tender,and better flavor. stores just
> pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for
profits

Flank is an expensive cut these days. Most supermarket and
deli corned beef I know of is brisket. That is the cut I
prefer. Others prefer round. Never seen corned beef made
from flank - that I know of.

Charlie

"notbob" wrote in message >
rosie wrote:
> > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find. throw
> > it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add
> > packet of spices and simmer all day. works perfectly
> > every time.
>
> I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for
> about 1 hour.
>
> nb

There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website
for pressure cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready
to try it when I fix corned beef again. Sheldon - your
recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how the pressure
cooker version turns out.

Dora

So did I:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Recipe By : Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Course

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound small carrots 2 medium onions -- sliced 2 1/2
pound corned beef brisket -- (2 1/2 to 3) 1 cup
unsweetened apple juice
2/4 cup light brown sugar packed 2 teaspoon lightly
shredded orange peel 6 whole cloves 2 teaspoons
prepared mustard 6 cabbage wedges

Place carrots and onions in slow cooker. Rinse corned beef
and pat dry, Place on top of onions. Combine apple juice.
brown sugar, orange peel, cloves and mustard. Pour over the
meat. Place cabbage wedges on top. Cover, cook on Low 10-12
hrs, High 5-6 hrs.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - "Wendy
Udelhoven" <SummerWJB-
[email protected]> wrote
in message news:13403-4059BB64-
260@storefull-
3315.bay.webtv.net...
> I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with
> cabbage. It was yummmmmy!!!!!
>
> Summerbreeze

" rosie" wrote..
> > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its
> > marbled
> better,more
> > tender,and better flavor.
>
> does everyone agree with this?

It has been several years since I was involved but we used
rounds and took the time to let it cure. With a flat the
time to let the spices reach the center is less. Normally
the time was 21 days.

sheldon, what CUT of corned beef do you prefer? flat? round?

--
read and post daily, it works! rosie

republicans are the party that says government doesn't work,
and then get elected and prove it. .........................
p. j. o'rourke

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040318093705.26415.00001775@mb-
m20.aol.com...
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable
> >website for
pressure
> >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try
> >it when I
fix corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm
> >curious to
see how
> >the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora
>
> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting,
> veggies will
disintergrate and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be
> inedible. Let
us know.

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
> UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
> would be devoid of all meaning were it without
> tribulation."

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website
> >for pressure cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm
> >ready to try it when I fix
corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm
> >curious to see how the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora
>
> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies
> will disintergrate
and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be
> inedible. Let us know.
>
> Sheldon

I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for
just 5 - 7 minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a
great one for trying new recipes that usually bomb. We'll
see - I'm using your recipe with which to compare it, so
it's probably already doomed.

Dora

Dora

On 2004-03-18, limey <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for
> just 5 - 7 minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a
> great one for trying new recipes that usually bomb. We'll
> see - I'm using your recipe with which to compare it, so
> it's probably already doomed.

That's the 3rd time I've seen that recipe at SurHiTab.
It's also in my Kuhn Rikon cookbook and on the Cooks
Illustrated website.

Well anyway, I just finished up the corned beef I've been
munchin' for the last 3 days. It came out real nice. I
didn't go for all the veggies, only wanting cabbage. I
cooked the corned beef in 1 C water and added the cabbage at
the very end and only cooked it for 5 mins. The beef was
exquisitely tender and the cabbage was just right. I reduced
the water to 1 C because I didn't want to leach out all the
flavor. I still had plenty of liquid left. I think I'll try
just 1/2 C of water next time.

nb