LazyBird redux - SWB-USS homebuilt

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dax, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Dax

    Dax Guest

    Some of you may have seen pics of my machine here last spring... I designed and welded up this
    home-built SWB/USS bike from old ten-speed frames one chilly winter week three years ago. The
    cogs-and-spokes steering linkage is my own (see nifty blowup) and is adjustable/dampable. The bike
    has a bit more than 6,000 km and is a GAS to ride - I love blasting past the local roadies in my
    boots and jeans... - ƒ

    http://album3596.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=12934

    Tags:

  2. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    looks like fun. But are those cables running the steering? Probably plenty strong, but I bet lots of
    folks would be too spooked to ride something where the steering depends on cables.

    sj

  3. I believe Lewis Campbell (limeylew) did a LWB with USS using aircraft cables instead of tie rods. I
    cannot remember his site address beyond the limeylew part, but there is a pic of him sitting on the
    bent in (what appear to be Black PJs) ----------spmeone here should have his website
    address----------------- "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > looks like fun. But are those cables running the steering? Probably plenty strong, but I bet lots
    > of folks would be too spooked to ride something where the steering depends on cables.
    >
    > sj

  4. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:45:00 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I believe Lewis Campbell (limeylew) did a LWB with USS using aircraft cables instead of tie rods. I
    >cannot remember his site address beyond the limeylew part, but there is a pic of him sitting on the
    >bent in (what appear to be Black PJs) ----------spmeone here should have his website
    >address----------------- "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> looks like fun. But are those cables running the steering? Probably plenty strong, but I bet lots
    >> of folks would be too spooked to ride something where the steering depends on cables.
    >>
    >> sj

    actually, the steering linkage is thru two spokes a side - the close-up shows the nipples in the
    retaining collars (two small nuts a side welded to the chain-link). The cables are life-insurance.
    In an earlier design I tried to use just cables, but there was too much elasticity in the system.
    There actually isn't much stress on the steering-system in ANY design, but solidity contributes to
    one's peace of mind... the linkage feels firm and I ride it off-road (!) from time to time - Ðª× Th