LBC 97.3 London local radio

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paulmouk, May 13, 2004.

  1. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    There was a report on today 6:30 pm with a reporter at a Thames crossing
    (Blackfriars Bridge?) talking about how dangerous it is where bike lanes
    'just stop'.

    They then had a spokeslady from ROSPA saying how more bike lanes are needed
    and although she cycles 'she only does so where there are good cycle lanes
    available'.

    After the ROSPA interview they cut back to the reporter who finished by
    saying that many cyclists don't help themselves as they aren't wearing
    helmets!

    I can't remember the exact sentence as I started frothing and rushed off to
    send an e-mail which
    a) didn't get read out.
    b) probably arrived too late to be used anyway as the show finished at 7pm
    and there are traffic reports, weather forecasts, sponsors adverts etc etc
    to fit in.

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. >They then had a spokeslady from ROSPA saying how more bike lanes are needed
    >and although she cycles 'she only does so where there are good cycle lanes
    >available'.

    The she is a fool and a dangerous one too, sending out such a message. Perhaps
    the CTC should be getting involved???

    Cheers, helen s

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:

    > After the ROSPA interview they cut back to the reporter who finished by
    > saying that many cyclists don't help themselves as they aren't wearing
    > helmets!

    Really?
    A friend and I got up for 6am last Thursday, to be interviewed by LBC
    about commuting to work in London.
    Both of us were wearing helmets.

  4. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:

    > After the ROSPA interview they cut back to the reporter who finished by
    > saying that many cyclists don't help themselves as they aren't wearing
    > helmets!

    Good God.
    What good would wearing a helmet have done to the poor people who
    have recently been run down by buses, run over by a cement mixer,
    and remember the courier killed on Southwark Bridge by a left turning
    lorry? By all reports he was stationary at the time.

  5. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:

    > There was a report on today 6:30 pm with a reporter at a Thames crossing

    Sorry to reply for the third time.
    I've just been out for an evenings trundle,
    down the Old Kent Road, through Burgess Park and back through Peckham
    and the Surrey Canal Road.
    A mix of bike paths through the park and some major roads.
    My feelings of 'everythings all right with the world' have just been
    spoiled.
    I can;t make up my mind who annoys me most - the RSOPA person implying
    I shouldn't be on the road, or the reporter.

    (ps. I was wearing a helmet, which my choice.)

  6. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:
    >

    > > After the ROSPA interview they cut back to the reporter who finished by
    > > saying that many cyclists don't help themselves as they aren't wearing
    > > helmets!
    > >

    > Really?
    > A friend and I got up for 6am last Thursday, to be interviewed by LBC
    > about commuting to work in London.
    > Both of us were wearing helmets.

    I heard the last part of the interview but not your bit.

    Paul

  7. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:38:55 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:

    > "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Paulmouk wrote:

    > I heard the last part of the interview but not your bit.

    Only my friend was interviewed.
    I guess my desire for fame was greater than my natural
    tendency to stay in bed :)