LBS - $100 - $150 USD Demo Charge

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wugga, Oct 9, 2005.

1. yamaha_mike

yamaha_mike New Member

Last sportbike I purchased was after a demo. $100 and I rode 3 of the top brands. Best thing I ever did! After five motorcycles I now have the perfect ride.

Looking at bikes in mags and spec'ing them on the internet just doesn't do it when you are dropping the big ca$h. If I heard of a local shop offering such a deal I would buy from them.

2. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I fully agree. A business has decisions to make , however the #1 priority is to take care of the customer- make them feel wanted/needed , and excellent customer service and communication every time. Its really that simple. A demo charge :confused: Thats the business owners decision to do that, sure it may detour some customers that "aren't that serious of a buyer" , however there is a bigger down side to having that policy- that reflects a poor image of the business - thats got more negatives then positives.

Personally, I'll buy local on some items... but the majority of the time I'll do my own leg work, find deals on the internet, locally, etc. Its nice to buy new when I can , but I dont mind buying used if I see a good deal- and the item can be used for a much longer period of time(brakes, handlebars,high quality hubs, possibly a frame, king HS, etc.)

3. jerryz

jerryz New Member

Campy unreliable? Bah!!! Or Needing more "fine tuning" or adjusting or whatever? Sounds like someone that can't wrench to me. If that was the reason, you should run, not walk quickly away from the shop.

4. paul_in_toronto

paul_in_toronto New Member

You got to be kidding me

Campy doesnt run smooth??? Everything from XENON to RECORD, should be virtually low maintenance if set up properly.

Maybe you need to check the hanger and stuff to not sure it it is bent.

Thats like a store that told me.. well we dont carry campy because we dont want to carry spare parts????? Huh? what spare parts are needed? How often to you see a campy part needing a spare? well with crap-mano the obselence is built in.
    Im not trying to knock shimano, but there is a reason I prefer to ride campy

I remember blowing out my shimano rsx sti shifter. I had to take it apart and rebuild the shifter and modify the little tiny spring. The shimano rep was amazed that I did that but cautioned... next time consider sending it to us.. huh? for what to get told no warranty.

No you are right, I mean its fun to do a ride and have your parts explode or hub die (silent clutch fiasco)

Its like this folks shimano is like microsoft and campy is more like apple.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

The same wholesaler they get Shimano from can overnight them Campy parts too.

6. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I just have to giggle at a few comments in this thread.

First, one person claims that they get to test ride for free, and have never bought from an LBS... With an attitude like that, why do you think an LBS would start charging a fee??????? An LBS is a business, they are not an organization to provide you free joy rides.

Second, someone else mentioned not needing to pay for a car test drive... Well, every test drive I have taken came complete with a salesman beside me or in the back seat. Would you like to test ride your bike towing a trailer with a salesman in it? I think it might be a detriment to a reasonable test. :D

Just to run the numbers, $100 is roughly 2% of the value of a $5,000 bike. If there is a fee imposed, it does seem reasonable to pay 2% for the benefit of an extended test ride.

Or let's look at it from another perspective... If you could find a place that would rent you a $5,000 bike it would definitely cost more than $100 per day... I know that it costs over $20 to rent a bike valued at $1,000. :) In effect, the LBS is renting you the bike for your test ride, with a full refund of the rental if you buy... not really a terrible business model.

As a customer, if it keeps prices in line for those of us that actually buy at an LBS, I really don't care if the people that don't buy there get a test ride or not. I have no doubt that an LBS with a fee would waive it for regular customers anyway...

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

dgregory, while what you say is correct (about value of 'demo fee' and test drives) it must be said that those shops that are insisting on these things are pricing themselves out of the market. Obviously the OP has found other shops willing to let him demo bikes... and he has taken his business there. Good for him. Better service and satisfied customer = profit for the good LBS. :) :cool:

I do agree with you and take a dim view of the kind of people who make it clear that they demo ride bikes and do not then purchase anything from that store (and that approach the entire thing that way)... :( :mad:

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

True, but who would want to ride Campagnolo parts anyway, they cost more (funny how a decent number of riders are willing to pay the difference?), are 'rougher' (especially all those carbon bits!), weigh less (you get less for your money!), know nothing about 10 sp shifting (hah! Shimano always told us that no one needs stinking 10 sp!), and are much more difficult to find (check online recently, you cannot find Campagnolo parts anywhere!), not reliable (the other stuff is?) and much much much more difficult to mount on a bicycle frame (hardly any bicycles with Campagnolo on them)... :p ;) :rolleyes:

In any event, in spite of the clear, logical arguments presented in this thread, I continue to ride Campagnolo. But then, I am Italian... :)

9. paul_in_toronto

paul_in_toronto New Member

I have had my rant about campy, I digress.

Now thinking about this demo charge. I dont feel my alter-ego would have such a charge. Has he had people take bikes for joy rides on the pretense of buying? yes.. did that suck? according to him, yes! But I dont see how everyone else should get penalized. You are left to size up your customer and place rules upon them, a test ride should be more for sizing then a joy ride.

Now renting a high end bike at $100 top $150 is another situation all together.
    There is another shop not too far from my alter-egos shop, and they went $1000-1200 cdn bikes for $80 for 4 days, keep in mind the bike is used. Then they can turn around later and sell it at a discount, which is great for the buyer, and the seller. The solution to the problem of joy rides? Be more choosy and perhaps if you are a store that can afford it you have 4 or 5 bikes of different sizes that are used for sizing.

Ultimately the fee is imposed to discourage time wasters, m sure the fee is refundable in other ways. But im sure they will see how their customers vote.

10. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I don't disagree with a customer's right to take his business elsewhere, that is also part of the free enterprise system. However, I do think that a shop imposing a fee to test their high end bikes isn't unreasonable enough to move them from the category of a good LBS to a bad LBS... but everyone is free to make their decision in whatever way they like.

I would find it interesting to find out if a person tries a couple of different bikes if that one fee applies to multiple bikes, or if a different fee applies to each. Also, whether all of the fees would be refunded upon a single purchase. Once you figure on test rides on 4 bikes, then the fees are enough to buy an entry level bike...

Of course, I would hope that someone getting ready to drop $5,000 on a bike would have their choices narrowed to their top two choices based on specs and brand preference/loyalty alone.

11. jerryz

jerryz New Member

I guess the other part of this deal is. Someone buying a $5,000 dollar bike shouldn't really need a test ride in all honesty. I mean let's be fair here. By the time you are really ready to spend 5K on a bike you know what you like and don't like. At which point do you really NEED a test ride? My last 3 bikes, all over that amount, not a test ride in the bunch and I'm extremely happy with all 3.

12. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 New Member

Haha... I just stopped into that bike shop on 38'th. They didn't even acknowledge my existence. And what the hell kind of bike shope doesn't have a bike rack out in front for bikes???? I'll definitely be shopping elsewhere.

13. wugga

wugga New Member

Yea,

Serious attitude issue at that shop. Turin is about eh same in my opinion, got a real bunch of BS about buying a Campy equiped bike from them. I'd reccomend Campus, good group of folks and no BS or attutude. Shops with attitude are off my list; I have big list of BS shops in the area!

14. zoepup

zoepup New Member

In all my years of demo rides in North NJ, I have never had to leave a ANYTHING with the dealer. They just set me up.. aired the bike up.. and away I went.. It is a risk for them.. but I guess they don't get burned too often.