LBS Component Pricing

lawrenpx

Sep 15, 2003
How does the pricing of your LBS compare to the discounters?

I was suprised to find that my LBS is charging 40% more for components, in my case the 2004 Camp Record Group, than the discounters.

Please understand I am not knocking LBS's as they deserve the make a buck as much as anyone else, but I just want to know what amount of markup is fair?

Originally posted by lawrenpx
How does the pricing of your LBS compare to the discounters?

I was suprised to find that my LBS is charging 40% more for components, in my case the 2004 Camp Record Group, than the discounters.

Please understand I am not knocking LBS's as they deserve the make a buck as much as anyone else, but I just want to know what amount of markup is fair?

I was thinking of Record for my upgrade and the LBS did the math right in front of me. "What's 40% of...?" I couldn't believe it. The markup on top of a high california sales tax really had me disheartened.

Read more about DA and found good prices online. Not many shops had it around here, but then one of my favs got it and they were only a $100 more than online. I knew I would still have to pay sales tax, but the guy was "jones'n" to set it up and ended up doing it the same day in only a couple hours, for $100.

So I did skip over the first bike shop since I just couldn't find it in me to cough up an extra half a grand, but the second shop was right in the ballpark and I know I get the extras like tweaking of the equipment since I purchased it there.

As the kid's say, it's all good =)

How about your LBS charging more tha list price? I bought a Specialized stem for $49.99 only to find out that the same stem lists on their webpage for $29.99. I am sorry, I bought the bike with them and I do small stuff at my LBS for everything else I have the internet.