LBS doesn't trust me with a bolt -- whassup w/ dat?

swimmeronwheels

Oct 9, 2003
I bought a bike just over a month ago ... been loving it ... nothing fancy, a Gary Fisher Tiberon. I ride it to work and around alot. I want to change the quick release seat to a regular bolt and nut ... so I don't have to lock the seat. I'm tired of running extra locking cable. Then I can use a U lock and cable the front wheel and be done. That'll be quicker on errands. My nieghborhood isn't too bad, I have good places to lock, etc. I stopped in the bike shop when I was going by (riding the el) the other day figuring I could just pick up the right size nut or whole new bolt-nut if necessary ... but NOOOOOOOOOO ... they looked at me like I was martian and said, It's Best If You Bring The Bike In For Us To Do The Work. What is with that? Is there something technical tricky that I'm missing? I own tools (yes, metric) I've adjusted the handlebar angle ... that seems a little trickier. I don't think I look like an idiot. I could probably tighten a little nut on there -- I already took off the locking clip/nut once just to see if the bolt looked "regular" enough to just get a nut to put on.

Is my LBS strange? I expected they would help me (give or sell a nut) ... and encourage my self-reliance. After all, I'm supposed to maintain this two-wheeled contraption to some degree, aren't I?

Originally posted by swimmeronwheels
I bought a bike just over a month ago ... been loving it ... nothing fancy, a Gary Fisher Tiberon. I ride it to work and around alot. I want to change the quick release seat to a regular bolt and nut ... so I don't have to lock the seat. I'm tired of running extra locking cable. Then I can use a U lock and cable the front wheel and be done. That'll be quicker on errands. My nieghborhood isn't too bad, I have good places to lock, etc. I stopped in the bike shop when I was going by (riding the el) the other day figuring I could just pick up the right size nut or whole new bolt-nut if necessary ... but NOOOOOOOOOO ... they looked at me like I was martian and said, It's Best If You Bring The Bike In For Us To Do The Work. What is with that? Is there something technical tricky that I'm missing? I own tools (yes, metric) I've adjusted the handlebar angle ... that seems a little trickier. I don't think I look like an idiot. I could probably tighten a little nut on there -- I already took off the locking clip/nut once just to see if the bolt looked "regular" enough to just get a nut to put on.

Is my LBS strange? I expected they would help me (give or sell a nut) ... and encourage my self-reliance. After all, I'm supposed to maintain this two-wheeled contraption to some degree, aren't I?
There is more to it than just a bolt and nut.It has to fit properly. BTW, Home Depot or any good hardware store sells bolts and nutz,even metric if that is what you need.

Originally posted by boudreaux
There is more to it than just a bolt and nut.It has to fit properly. BTW, Home Depot or any good hardware store sells bolts and nutz,even metric if that is what you need.

OK ... but they know my bike, couldn't they have just given/sold me the proper one?

It seems you have an issue with your LBS or commuicating with them.
Why don't you ask them?
Could it be that they were offering you additional value added service,,, and maybe without a charge?
As an aside, a theif with a simple wrench, could still steal your saddle and post if you just put a bolt + nut there.

Originally posted by daveornee
It seems you have an issue with your LBS or commuicating with them.
Why don't you ask them?
Could it be that they were offering you additional value added service,,, and maybe without a charge?
As an aside, a theif with a simple wrench, could still steal your saddle and post if you just put a bolt + nut there.

There was a little more to the conversation than my first post indicated. I asked if it was such a big job and mentioned that it was hard to get over there with my bike. He just repeated, It's best if you bring it in. I think it was clear that I didn't want to make the extra trip in their direction. He did sound like they would just do it for me (like no charge) ... so maybe I will get over there. It kind of beats me trying to figure out what size the bolt is and where to buy a single nut that is appropriate.

I hear you about the thief ... Here's my observation. I ride (and lock up) mainly in Skokie, Evanston and West Rogers Park (West of Western) ... and all the other bikes I see locked up use a single U lock or cable and just through the frame and rear wheel. Most of those bikes are at least as nice as mine ... and many have quick release front wheels. So I'm still going to be way ahead of the crowd with a Ulock and a cable through my front wheel. I've been Ulocking the front and frame and then using an extra lock onthe cable through the seat and rear wheel ... It's a little time consuming to do and undo.

Do you think I should be nervous about the seat & post?

Thanks

Hi,
I think the best thing for you to do is to take the seat collar to your bike shop.
You can just pll the seat post out and take the colar with the Q.R. off the frame. Take that to the shop and have them supply you with a whole new collar with an allen bolt on it. This way, you'll know it will work with your frame (I think that's the reason they asked you to bring the bike in).
There are so many different diameters of these things and they're fairly cheap. If they won't sell it to you I'd suggest finding another bike shop. I used to live near you and I dealt with RRB. They were great! I think they have a store in Evanston.If you call Delphino at their Mundelein store he'd be glad to help you out.
I hope this helps,
Jason

That's interesting. My LBS knows I like to do as much work myself as I can and actually seem to respect me for it. They will even go as far as to suggest what I can do myself and what would be better for them to do. It's that mutual respect that keeps me coming back. Of course in the beginning I made sure to throw out a bunch of the proper jargon so they would at least know I was knowledgable.

Matt

There was a little more to the conversation than my first post indicated. I asked if it was such a big job and mentioned that it was hard to get over there with my bike. He just repeated, It's best if you bring it in. I think it was clear that I didn't want to make the extra trip in their direction. He did sound like they would just do it for me (like no charge) ... so maybe I will get over there. It kind of beats me trying to figure out what size the bolt is and where to buy a single nut that is appropriate.

I hear you about the thief ... Here's my observation. I ride (and lock up) mainly in Skokie, Evanston and West Rogers Park (West of Western) ... and all the other bikes I see locked up use a single U lock or cable and just through the frame and rear wheel. Most of those bikes are at least as nice as mine ... and many have quick release front wheels. So I'm still going to be way ahead of the crowd with a Ulock and a cable through my front wheel. I've been Ulocking the front and frame and then using an extra lock onthe cable through the seat and rear wheel ... It's a little time consuming to do and undo.

Do you think I should be nervous about the seat & post?

Thanks
First off, I have been on the other side of the shop counter.
I also live in Suburban Chicago and have ridden in the areas you mention.
I think you will be OK, but you just need to understand how thieves work. If they are going for saddles and posts, they will have the tools and get as many as they can. Sometimes just putting a tight fitting plastic cap over the nut and a plastic filler in the Allen hole can make the thief skip over your bicycle.
Most shops recognize that there are different seat collar arrangements and want to make sure the bolt and nut will actually work. If there is a choice, go for the most durable and forget about trying to save a few grams.
You should always coat the threads on any fasteners you use.
I prefer anti-sieze compounds, but you might use Blue Loctite in this application.
You want to make you bicycle the least available and attractive.
I am sure you have seen some really nice bicycles that have been made to look less than attractive.

Thanks for some great ideas here!

I ended up with an unexpected hour off work this am so I went on in to the LBS. They swapped the quick release for a new collar and allen bolt ... no problem (no charge if I didn't want to keep my QR).

I tried to engage the same guy as before in a discussion about collar choices, any extra methods for discouraging a thief and once again he looked at me as if I were martian, said We'll put a regular collar on.

I'll go back next spring/summer for my free tune-up and then look for a new shop (unless I have a vastly different experience here). Now I also recall that when I bought the bike and asked about lube and stuff for routine maintenance, they just said oil the chain once in a while ... with no mention of what product to use or any offer to sell me what I needed. I got some regular finish line lube at another shop.

Thanks again for your great ideas.