LBS frame work charge

Kbh

Guest
How much will a typical LBS charge for:

A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

Thanks,

Kyle

KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> How much will a typical LBS charge for:

> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

About $20.

> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.

Art Harris

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
>> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
>
>> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
>
>About $20.
>

>> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
>
>I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.
>
>Art Harris
Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all i
would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).

I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
minimum charges of $80 to $150.

So maybe its not worth it to 'modernize' an old steel frame? I just want to put 7 spd bar-end
shifters, and a rear derailer on an old Nishiki garage sale frame.

"ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
> >
> >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
> >
> >About $20.
> >

> >> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
> >
> >I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.
> >
> >Art Harris
> Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all
> i would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
> customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).
>
> I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
> minimum charges of $80 to $150.

kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:

We charge-

<< A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

$35, includes a BB overhaul.

<< B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon fder.

> kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:
>
> We charge-
>

> << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
>
> $35, includes a BB overhaul.
>

> << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
>
> Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon
fder.

$20 for a rear hanger? Great. Yeah, I'll keep a clamp-on front.

Kyle

ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
> >
> >About $20.
> >

> I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
> minimum charges of $80 to $150.

$150 to spread the rear dropouts? That really sounds steep. A small shop around here charged me $15
(about three years ago) which I thought was quite a bargain.

Art Harris

KBH <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:
> >
> > We charge-
> >

> > << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
> >
> > $35, includes a BB overhaul.
> >

> > << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
> >
> > Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon
> fder.

> $20 for a rear hanger? Great. Yeah, I'll keep a clamp-on front.

I think what we had here was a failure to communicate. Peter's talking about brazing on a
Front der tab.

Art Harris

So is there any other way to make an old frame more useful to me? I already have a singlespeed -
this is going to be my "underbike" (7 spd barend shifters, fat tires, long reach brakes). I guess
anything less than $100 for both jobs would be worth it. The cheapest equivalent frame I can get is
probably a Surley Pacer for $400, and I think the lugged Nishiki I have is nicer.

Kyle

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:06:02 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >About $20.
>> >

>> I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
>> minimum charges of $80 to $150.
>
>$150 to spread the rear dropouts? That really sounds steep. A small shop around here charged me $15
>(about three years ago) which I thought was quite a bargain.
>
>Art Harris
Oh Christ! ... I must be getting dyslexic... I read respace as replace ... Yes $20 is reasonable

My bad My apologies...

>The cheapest equivalent frame I can get is probably a Surley Pacer for $400, and I think the lugged
>Nishiki I have is nicer.
>
>Kyle

Consider a used frame for $100 as an option.

Jon Isaacs

> kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:

> We charge-

"KBH"> << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

"Peter"> $35, includes a BB overhaul.

"KBH"> << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

"Peter"> Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon fder.

I believe he meant a Campagnolo 80/1 rear derailleur hanger tab. Those are $20 plus $25 to install
if there is no chrome in the way.

> >KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
> >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
> >About $20.

"KBH"> >> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

"Harris"> >I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.

"ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all
> i would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
> customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).
>
> I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
> minimum charges of $80 to $150.

Yikes! Can they get any volume waiting around for guys who will pay $80 for an alignment?

KBH On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:30:52 GMT wrote,

>How much will a typical LBS charge for:
>
>A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
>

>B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

Assuming you want to switch to a better derailleur, I'd look for a claw with threads rather
than getting something brazed. Mine have come from thrift store bikes, don't know if shops
carry them separate.
--

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

> KBH On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:30:52 GMT wrote,
>
> >How much will a typical LBS charge for:
> >
> >A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
> >B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

"Dave Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Assuming you want to switch to a better derailleur, I'd look for a claw with threads rather than
> getting something brazed. Mine have come from thrift store bikes, don't know if shops carry them
> separate.

They are available for about five bucks but brazing in a hanger is pretty cheap ($40~$50 parts and
labor) and is both stiffer and closer to the cassette besides looking better.

Originally posted by Jon Isaacs
>The cheapest equivalent frame I can get is probably a Surley Pacer for $400, and I think the lugged
>Nishiki I have is nicer.
>
>Kyle

Consider a used frame for $100 as an option.

Jon Isaacs

$100 for a used frame, no...

Paid $5.00 for a whole bike at a garage sale, Nishiki Sport in fair condition.

Originally posted by Kbh
How much will a typical LBS charge for:

A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

Thanks,

Kyle

Seems from the posted re:'s that your wanting a hanger tab for the front der., but you didn't specify front or rear, (and I have not head of a hanger for the front = I could just be ignorant however)

The rear hanger tab is another story.....I would go to a well known welding shop for this, they will be able to duplicate the type of welds on the rest of the frame so that once painted it would be 'stock' looking. Also they will have the right equipment to drill and thread it for you.