LBS info scotland

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by bob watkinson, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
    solos?

    Many thanks, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    bob watkinson wrote:
    > Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
    > solos?

    Scotland is pretty big for everything in it to be "local"... There's no
    shortage of shops that sell stuff for roadies (i.e., Velo Ecosse, EBC,
    Nicholsons, Alpine etc), though tandems seem more unusual and I can't
    think of anywhere offhand that does a selection as a permanent stock
    feature, though if you fancy a not entirely standard tandem like the
    Hase Pino then Kinetics in Glasgow are dealers and I think Ben's got a
    demo one in at the mo. Having said that, any Dawes dealer should be
    able to get you a G-twin or whatever.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, bob watkinson
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
    > bike solos?

    All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
    are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
    where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.

    ;; my other religion is Emacs

  4. I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

    > in message <[email protected]>, bob watkinson
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
    > > bike solos?

    > All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
    > are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
    > where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > ;; my other religion is Emacs

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    bob watkinson wrote:
    > I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
    >>are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
    >>where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.

    And in Embra, once you're at EBC then Velo Ecosse are at most a couple
    of hundred meters away with Biketrax just around the corner from them.
    All good shops.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. thanks guys

    > bob watkinson wrote:
    > > I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

    > > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >>All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
    > >>are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
    > >>where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.

    > And in Embra, once you're at EBC then Velo Ecosse are at most a couple
    > of hundred meters away with Biketrax just around the corner from them.
    > All good shops.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:

    > Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
    > bike solos?

    I know it comes slightly outside the area, but Tweed Cycles in Bridge
    Street in Berwick Upon Tweed (hey, it *used* to be part of Scotland [1])
    are an excellent wee shop. They often have a great selection of bikes,
    including special needs bikes (but they don't have them in stock much as
    they take up a lot of room with little turnover). They had a tandem last
    time I was there a few months back and often have the odd 'bent or two.

    Whenever I'm in Berwick I always go in for a little browse and rack up a
    large credit card bill (in my mind only unfortunately).

    Just across the road is the excellent "Green Shop". Not bike related, but
    a very pleasant "knit your own muesli" type food & fair-trade goods shop.
    They have some excellent local produce and, to bring it back to slightly
    more on topic, the cherry slices from Heatherslaw Mill make excellent
    high energy snacks for cycling. :)

    Graeme

    [1] And should be again! :)

  8. iarocu

    iarocu Guest

    "bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

    Fairly local to you is Wheels Cycling Centre, Callander. There mainly
    into hiring bikes but they are a tandem dealer. They do a few makes
    although don't carry much tandem stock. I bought their Dawes Discovery
    Twin demo from them.

    http://www.members.aol.com/scotcycle/index.htm

    Iain

  9. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:17:25 +0100, "bob watkinson"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
    >solos?
    >
    >Many thanks, Bob

    Biketrax in Ediburgh are also well worth a visit, tho' the 'wacky
    bikes' display is a load of foldables at the mo', rather than tandems.

    Velo Ecosse, MacDonalds, Biketrax and Edinburgh Bike Co-op are all
    easily walkable from each other.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, iarocu
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad
    >>

    > Fairly local to you is Wheels Cycling Centre, Callander. There mainly
    > into hiring bikes but they are a tandem dealer. They do a few makes
    > although don't carry much tandem stock. I bought their Dawes Discovery
    > Twin demo from them.

    A long, long, long time ago I ran a nascent bike shop in Callander for
    its owner, a local architect. It was at the time the only bike shop. I
    wonder if it's the same business.