LBS "integrity" issue - please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anunziat1215

I live in a small, southern town of about 10,000. I've decided to take up biking and am looking to
buy a Trek 7200 or Raleigh C40 or something along those lines. There's a LBS that sells Trek, but
when I went to Trek's Website to do a search for dealers, my LBS's name didn't come up, and the
closest bike shopt it listed was way out of town, more than an hour away.

Does this have any significance? eg, does this mean that my LBS is not an authorized dealer, or
cannot be trusted to put the bike together, fit me to it, repair it if problems come up, etc? Will
buying from them be the same as buying from Walmart? Or is this common for an LBS to not pop up on
Trek's Website, particularly for such a small town?

Any help you can give me would be great. Obviously, I would prefer a truly local shop, but would be
willing to drive an hour away if necessary to get something that won't collapse on me and that I
can trust.

Many thanks!

"ANunziat1215" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I live in a small, southern town of about 10,000. I've decided to take up biking and am looking to
> buy a Trek 7200 or Raleigh C40 or something along those lines. There's a LBS that sells Trek, but
> when I went to Trek's Website to do a search for dealers, my LBS's name didn't come up, and the
> closest bike shopt it listed was way out of town, more than an hour away.
>
> Does this have any significance? eg, does this mean that my LBS is not an authorized dealer, or
> cannot be trusted to put the bike together, fit me to it, repair it if problems come up, etc? Will
> buying from them be the same as buying from Walmart? Or is this common for an LBS to not pop up on
> Trek's Website, particularly for such a small town?
>
> Any help you can give me would be great. Obviously, I would prefer a truly local shop, but would
> be willing to drive an hour away if necessary to get something that won't collapse on me and that
> I can trust.
>
> Many thanks!

Use your intuition. If the people who run and work in the shop seem genuine and intereste in helping
you get started in the sport, then chances are they:

A) Ride
B) actually give a dman about your purchase

Lot's of shops don't appear on manufacturers "dealer" list, it means nothing or it could mean
everything. Ask people who heave dealt with the LBS about their service and products.

"ANunziat1215" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I live in a small, southern town of about 10,000. I've decided to take up biking and am looking to
> buy a Trek 7200 or Raleigh C40 or something along those lines. There's a LBS that sells Trek, but
> when I went to Trek's Website to do a search for dealers, my LBS's name didn't come up, and the
>
> Does this have any significance? eg, does this mean that my LBS is not an authorized dealer, or
> cannot be trusted to put the bike together, fit me to it, repair it if problems come up, etc? Will
> buying from them be the same as buying from Walmart? Or is this common for an LBS to not pop up on
>
> Any help you can give me would be great. Obviously, I would prefer a truly local shop, but would
> be willing to drive an hour away if necessary to get something that won't collapse on me and that
> I can trust.
>
> Many thanks!

Many manufacture's website are not up to date, so it might not mean anything. I suggest giving Trek
and quick phone call to verify.

--
Slacker

ANunziat1215 wrote:

> won't collapse on me and that I can trust.

The bikes made by Trek, not the LBS. So whether you get it from your LBS or from a bike shop an hour
away doesnt make much difference. Aftersale care is what your looking for.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> The bikes made by Trek, not the LBS. So whether you get it from your LBS or from a bike shop an
> hour away doesnt make much difference. Aftersale care is what your looking for.

Some manufacturers will not honor their warrantee if the product was purchased from an unauthorized
dealer. This kind of make sense because proper bicycle assembly is important.

ANunziat1215 wrote:
>
>
> I can trust.
>
> Many thanks!

What it means is your LBS told trek they wouldn't pay them to be listed!! specalized also charges a
fee to be found online. if you buy a bike it will be sent to the nearest Paying dealer for assembly.

--
James Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.