LBS is snobby???

Babelfish

Aug 10, 2012
Hello all... I'm definitely still a novice cyclist (about 2 years), though I've lately been doing 100+ mile weeks and I did my first 40 mile ride this past Saturday (yay!). Now I'm suddenly wondering if I just broke some sort of 'cyclist's etiquette' or something. Everything I know about cycling is self taught... I haven't had a cycling buddy to show me the ropes, but I LOVE the sport and see it being part of my lifestyle forever. I just upgraded from a Trek Lexa WSD to a Trek Madone 4.7 WSD and have been on cloud 9 because I got a bike I never thought I could afford. I got it brand new on eBay for $800 off the list price just because it's a 2011. Anyway I called the LBS where I purchased the Lexa and have had all my maintenance done, and at their suggestion, had the Madone shipped directly to them so they could set it up. I called today after seeing it was delivered and got a seriously snobby reaction from the guy I talked to regarding the fact that I'd purchased it on ebay. Did I do something wrong/stupid by buying on ebay and then insult the LBS by having them put it together?? I am of course paying their $75 set up fee, so what's the problem? Or am I just being too sensitive? I've been so excited about this bike and now I feel kind of bummed out. :(

The salesman was being a ****. You should find a local LBS because there is absolutely no reason to have to ship your bike elsewhere to have it setup. Also, you might give some thought toward learning to do your own bike maintenance.

That IS my local shop... I live in the boonies, so the closest one is about an hour from my house. I called them right after I purchased the new bike (didn't think it would matter that I bought it on ebay, so didn't mention it) to ask about having them set it up for me. Since it's such a nice bike, I wanted to make sure it was set up properly. They suggested I have it shipped directly to them so I wouldn't have to lug it there after it arrived at my house. To top it all off, after he acted snobby to me, he told me they were running TWO WEEKS behind.... So I have to wait that much longer before my bike is actually mine! :(

And yeah, after this experience I will definitely be ordering some books on maintenance.

There's plenty of maintenance guides online, not that there's anything wrong with ordering books. Park Tool's website has a bunch (helps them sell tools, of course!), and YouTube has quite a few as well. www.sheldonbrown.com is also an excellent resource.

Originally Posted by Babelfish .

....Did I do something wrong/stupid by buying on ebay and then insult the LBS by having them put it together?? I am of course paying their $75 set up fee, so what's the problem? Or am I just being too sensitive? I've been so excited about this bike and now I feel kind of bummed out. :(
Hey they agreed to the job ahead of time. Maybe they're short on help... or heavy on repairs right now... this is the busy season. I wouldn't let it get under my skin. The same guy could be really nice next time you talk to him. Everyone has a bad day from time-to-time.

Bummer you have to wait two weeks! But there should still be plenty of prime cycling time before the winter season (whatever winter is in your area). I also have been learning to do more/most of my own bicycle work. Getting a proper stand is a good first step.

IMO you should have never had that bike dropped ship elsewhere. Now they have your bike and you never inspected it.

jpr95 said:
There's plenty of maintenance guides online, not that there's anything wrong with ordering books.  Park Tool's website has a bunch (helps them sell tools, of course!), and YouTube has quite a few as well.  www.sheldonbrown.com is also an excellent resource.
+1. In addition to the Park Tools repair site (which is replete with tutorials on virtually anything you might need to do to a bike), YouTube has boatloads of video tutorials on just about every bike maintenance or repair procedure there is. Many of the bike manufacturers and bike part manufacturers have repair, maintenance, assembly, and or disassembly pdf's on line. Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM definitely have these.

Now I'm even more freaked out. I'm naturally too trusting but now I'm scared they're going to screw up my bike and blame it on the shipping. I guess all those maintenance tutorials could come in handy sooner rather than later if the shop decides to screw me over. I'm literally going to be on pins and needles for the next two weeks. :( Thanks a bunch for all the great maintenance links and suggestions. I'll definitely be doing my homework.

relax, it's a long learning curve; just a bit at a time, especially concerning maintenance - just one rule to always remember- always use the right tool for the job. don't use a dinner knife as a screwdriver, imperial for metric etc.
good luck and have fun

As far as the Ebay item inspection is concerned, the shop is obligated to allow you to see the box/es that it came in and confirm with you present that it is proper. You own it after all, pieces or completely assembled.

Well I picked it up today, and other than needing the handlebars re-wrapped at some point (small tear in the tape) it was in perfect condition. I went on a nice 20 mile ride tonight and couldn't believe how much difference the jump from the Lexa to the Madone made... it's a dream!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Glad it all worked out for you.

People have up and down days, like was said, maybe the guy was just having a down one. Happens to me, too. Sometimes, a good one can turn bad quickly, and vice versa. Today was a good example -- bad day starting out, 'cause I came back from vacation to a horrendous mess, and had to excavate my work area; but a customer with two young teen daughters made me double over laughing, trying to get them set up on their 'down' bikes, and they were telling him they'd rather have a $3 playball!

Originally Posted by Babelfish .

Well I picked it up today, and other than needing the handlebars re-wrapped at some point (small tear in the tape) it was in perfect condition. I went on a nice 20 mile ride tonight and couldn't believe how much difference the jump from the Lexa to the Madone made... it's a dream!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
Are going to get a bike fitting? That may make an even bigger difference.